S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bulkhead advice  (Read 599 times)

libster

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 8294
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« on: May 23, 2023, 09:05:27 AM »

Help people.  New to the club.

Rebuilding (extensive) a '61 2lt diesel on a Richards replica chassis. It's not currently with the DVLA but we have full history, RF60 chassis plate and drop hanger etc, so will be calling on the HVRO sometime hopefully in the not too distant.

We're fairly set on a Shielder bulkhead, but wonder if the single skin method of construction compromises authenticity etc, or is it a case of doesn't matter, and once built up whose to know...?

Any comment advice would be welcome before we push the button.

Libsters

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 09:34:00 AM »

&  to the Forum.

:-\
Before you do another thing you must speak with our VRO Peter Holden at [email protected]
Who will guide you through the process.
There must be evidence of a vehicle you are intending to restore, not just a box of bits.
Once the bona fide of the vehicle has been established you can restore away.

:RHD

Who's a then ?

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 09:39:14 AM »

Please send me copies of all your documentation and photos of tha land rover as it is to [email protected]

Thanks

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 10:07:41 AM »

Welcome!

As per above comments, do get the paperwork sorted and take our VRO's advice - it will save you a great deal of pain and cost.

Bulkheads... If originality is your bag, then Shielder off the shelf bulkheads may not be your bag. Their generic ones are OK, but not as good as offerings from the likes of Robert Owen or Pegasus. It is very much a case of "you get what you pay for" with bulkheads, so just look carefully at the detail. I had a recent case of a Shielder bulkhead and chassis on a 90. The bulkhead was horrible and the chassis actually failed a few weeks into use (round the rear upper spring mounts).

I also rebuilt a late 2A on a Shielder chassis towards the end of lockdown with no significant issues at all, so all I would say is look carefully at what you receive and if its not right, don't waste time fettling - reject it, or these suppliers will keep churning out rubbish.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 10:35:51 AM »

welcome to the forum.

as above, sort out all DVLA stuff before doing anything.

I rebuilt my brothers land rover last year with a richards chassis and shielder bulkhead.

the shielder bulkheads look pretty good in my opinion and are stronger than any bulkhead I've ever seen. to add this was 2yrs ago now, so things may have changed there

onto the bad side, the bulkheads are pretty generic, you will have to drill a few more holes and add things. on the one I did the bulkhead was twisted due to galvanising, so I spent about a month playing with it, before just building the land rover 90% of the way, then pulling the bulkhead straight with the other land rover, now its great!

the robert owen bulkheads are the best replica ones I've seen, plus hes a friendly guy and you can go have a look around his workshop before commiting. :RHD

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 11:19:19 AM »

I would concur, , it may sound alarmist but get the registration sorted with the DVLA and then work on the vehicle , not the other way round or you may find you cannot get the original registration  back & end up with a Q plate or not even be able to register it at all .

libster

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 8294
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 11:55:28 AM »

Thanks gents.

Will make contact with Peter.

It's a local 2 owner car, always within 30 miles of it's first home and ours.
We bought complete and rolling, but very very sick. The new chassis is serial numbered as original (had to demonstrate provenance to Richards). 
Serial numbers all matching the RF60 - original engine, gearbox, radiator, axles, rims, etc. plan to re-use most of original panels too.... just for the aaawful patina! lol  And plenty of photos of progress this far.

Thanks again

Tilt and sticks off

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7944
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 08:45:40 AM »

Bulkheads... If originality is your bag, then Shielder off the shelf bulkheads may not be your bag. Their generic ones are OK, but not as good as offerings from the likes of Robert Owen or Pegasus. It is very much a case of "you get what you pay for" with bulkheads, so just look carefully at the detail.

I'm not sure if it affects quality but I think Pegasus have been bought by Shielder. Assume Pegasus will continue with same production quality levels?
The only chips in my Land Rover are wrapped in newspaper.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 09:44:28 AM »

Unless it is something that has happened in the last few days Pegasus were still on their own.  I will ask my spies

Peter

Marky Harvey

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5710
  • .:
Bulkhead advice
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 09:52:00 AM »

Welcome!

As per above comments, do get the paperwork sorted and take our VRO's advice - it will save you a great deal of pain and cost.

Bulkheads... If originality is your bag, then Shielder off the shelf bulkheads may not be your bag. Their generic ones are OK, but not as good as offerings from the likes of Robert Owen or Pegasus. It is very much a case of "you get what you pay for" with bulkheads, so just look carefully at the detail. I had a recent case of a Shielder bulkhead and chassis on a 90. The bulkhead was horrible and the chassis actually failed a few weeks into use (round the rear upper spring mounts).

I also rebuilt a late 2A on a Shielder chassis towards the end of lockdown with no significant issues at all, so all I would say is look carefully at what you receive and if its not right, don't waste time fettling - reject it, or these suppliers will keep churning out rubbish.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Too many of the owners accept poor quality parts and fettle them to fit. If we as a group reject poor quality parts then things might improve.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Bulkhead advice
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 10:21:21 AM »

Unless it is something that has happened in the last few days Pegasus were still on their own.  I will ask my spies

Peter

They do appear to have a connection. I had a look at Companies House and can see similar names and addresses. Nothing wrong there. From what I've seen, the quality of the Pegasus branded bulkheads are exemplary. Shielder branded items are far more generic, but I must confess that I has no problems with the chassis they supplied me a couple of years ago for a late 2A rebuild.

I would regard the Pegasus offering as the "premium" option if you want an original bulkhead. Even Rob Owen isn't perfect - his one gave me problems...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.