S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Autobox  (Read 2647 times)

TJ

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6365
  • .:
Autobox
« on: August 11, 2019, 06:24:38 AM »

Hello all,
I don’t know if anyone on this great forum can offer any info . I have a 1962 SWB 2A, at the present time  she is fitted with a classic rover V8 mated to the original 2A gearbox. I would like to fit an automatic box if possible, does anyone know if this is in fact possible ?
Thanks TJ

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
Re: Autobox
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 06:51:33 AM »

More info is needed. An Auto box can best be fitted to a 109, on an 88 the rear prop shaft is really short. then there is the mounts for the engine(usually moved forward) and the tranny. It has been done to both 88's and 109's. Maybe a gooooooooooogle search can turn up some conversion blogs or youtube videos.
It is not just a plug and play swap.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 10:03:36 AM »

I certainly knew a bloke back in the 90s who had an auto box in a 109 SW,.. unfortunately I can't recall any details but it worked fine, if you like that sort of thing!  ;)

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 10:07:15 AM »

Didn't Ashcrofts do a kit?

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 11:02:57 AM »

I've currently got a 4hp22 sat waiting to into my 127. It's the same length as the lt85 that's in there just now, so all of the usual wisdom for fitting a coiler box should apply. As genocache said, the length is the biggest issue in an 88. It'll either need the worlds tiniest rear prop or the engine shifting forward.
pictures, and words

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 11:57:52 AM »

A question which I cannot answer as my understanding of current rules is insufficient, but may be important - is this a modification which would alter the historic status of the vehicle?

As I understand it, the points system still applies for historic registration. So far as I can see, you would definitely lose the points for the gearbox and may already have lost the point for the engine. That means you cannot have anything else modified/replaced and still retain enough points. The chassis would be such an item.

The historic status for MOT exemption/tax appears to impose quite strict criteria on modifications to the chassis.

The key question is therefore whether moving the engine mounts to shift the engine forward in a SWB would constitute a major modification of the chassis? I am aware that this was allowed for historic (30+ years ago) conversions, but what the consequences of doing it now would be I am not sure.

Something I would be inclined to seek advice on if this is important to you.

Alec

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 01:14:14 PM »

Interesting point, tho if it wasn't involving an engine swap, (or at least a one that needed notifying) it would be difficult for them to prove or establish when this had been done.... been like it for donkey's years guv...

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 01:41:56 PM »

Quite a few years ago I fitted an 4 speed auto box to my standard V8 engine in place of the old 3 speed. The carb engine did not really have enough power to change from 3rd to 4th, I had to go fuel injected to acheive the garbox changing gears properly.
Fuel economy almost doubled overnight so it was not such a bad thing.

Paul

TJ

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6365
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 06:57:16 AM »

All thanks for feedback, now following further investigation,  jobs a dead duck due to length of space available

Aimbones

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 11:33:55 AM »

Sat in my garden I have a v8 borgwarner 66 fitted to a series transferbox, the forward brake band needs replacement but otherwise it is ready to go.

This setup uses the standard props.

Tony
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 20 queries.