S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Best engine to replace 2.25 Perkins diesel in a 1965 109 12 seater to give econ  (Read 6696 times)

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd

^ why are power steering, disc brakes and an R380 box required for extra economy? :stars I'm going to be one of 'those people' and say in that case, "why not buy a Defender?"

To the original question. I would find it hard to justify the fitment of anything other than a 200/300tdi if economy is your aim. In my mind it's a weigh up between all out max economy available (probably much more economical engines to fit) versus ease of conversion and retention of originality. A Tdi can be fitted very sympathetically and with absolutely no damage to the fabric of the original vehicle. Obviously in this case it sounds as if the vehicle has already been chopped about a bit to fit a diahatsu engine.
There are many more economical engines available to fit, but probably not too many without electronics or ECUs etc making them a little more complicated and potentially less reliable in the long term. Another benefit is how common a Tdi conversion is - some parts for the conversion such as exhausts are available off the shelf and there's all manner of advice and options which can be gained from others who have done it already.

I run a 200tdi in my 88" daily driver. Since I went back to work after lockdown v1.0 I have actually been working out my consumption and it has been a pretty constant 36-38mpg. This is a fair mix of driving and involves a fair bit of ascent (and descent) too - including England's longest continuous gradient. Standard transmission other than 3.54 diffs. I do have an overdrive also.

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers

I got low to mid 30's mpg in a 109 SW with a 200tdi.

It was horribly noisy though  :noisey

My vote: v8+lpg conversion. Cheaper to run than a tdi, smoother power delivery, and makes a much, much nicer noise.
pictures, and words

ChrisJC

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5547
  • .:

I have found ear defenders to be a good solution to excessive noise.

Chris.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers

Lots of soundproofing helps a lot with the 200TDi   :cheers

We use as much as we can recover from the donor Disco vehicle from under the carpets, and make it fit - floors, seatbox, including front and sides, footwells, including the top of the footwells. When there is an engine side bulkhead soundproofing pad on the Disco, we use that as well though that has to be forced into a new shape.

We also use a soundproofing blanket laid directly over the gearbox and overdrive, under the tunnel, and soundproofing pads (actually self adhesive 'lead' flashing) on the insides of the doors. It helps to have door panels as well.

It might seem a lot of work, but it really does make it more 'car like'.

With 3.54 diffs & overdrive we can listen to the radio and hold a conversation at just about normal levels at 60mph - important on long expeditions/journeys   :cheers

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

I agree with Robin ^^^^

Before fitting the Tdi you can use some of the under bonnet soundproofing material from the donor Disco. Do the bonnet inside, bulkhead and inner wings. Or you can buy sound deadening mastic mats/pads off eBay, these stop the panels from "drumming".
Same on the cab side of the bulkhead.
Rubber matting and lead flashings as Robin describes.

You'd be surprised at the difference it all makes.

When all else fails - a pair of ear defenders  :noisey

The money you save on fuel outweighs your loss of hearing.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers

Ear defenders whilst driving seems a scary notion to me. How could you hear a horn or any other noises you might need to hear?
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Try it .... You'd be surprised just how effective they are without affecting your awareness of other traffic.

... and they keep your ears warm in winter.

:noisey

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum

I once drove a Carawagon which had a 2.5NA engine and very little soundproofing 120 miles home, mostly motorways at 55+mph.

I knew it would be noisy, so took some 'foam' earplugs with me.

They do block out a lot of the continuous droning/engine noise, but as Alan says, it's surprising how much you can hear such as horns, thumps, cats eyes etc. so I wouldn't hesitate to use them again in a similar situation.

I think ear defenders, and possibly ear plugs, are designed to limit damaging noise, but still allow voices etc. for safetey   ???

:tiphat

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:

With bit of freelance engineering Disco engine mounts for a 200TDi can be modified and the gearbox mount as well all helps to reduce noise and vibration.

winchman

• Gear shifter
  • .:

We have a 3L Merc 5 pot in ours does 29MPG, I would just fit what about cheap

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum

With bit of freelance engineering Disco engine mounts for a 200TDi can be modified and the gearbox mount as well all helps to reduce noise and vibration.

Yep, we usually cut the mounts off the Disco chassis and weld them to the Series chassis - there's a reason Land Rover used such massive mounts on the Disco   :whistle

To get them in the right position, we fit them to the engine, hang the engine on the crane, fit it up to the gearbox, then when we're sure it's sitting right, tack the mounts to the chassis.
Then unbolt the mounts and lift the engine back out before fully welding them   :tiphat

Adrian

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7072
  • .:

thank you you guys-- I am still leaning how to use this website- and seem to have lost a few answers!

the diahatsu 2.25 fortruck is in my swb 88.

my new truck 12 seater LWB 109 has the perkins 2.25 diesel- but has no spunk at all-

so iyt would appear from your comments as 200/300TDi from a discovery is the easiest ?? best option- BUT WILL I STILL BE AN HISTORIC VEHICLE!!!
 sorry to shout, but the thread has got long and this question I can't see the answer too!
and thank you!!!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Yes, you will still retain your Historic Vehicle status and you can self declare that it is MoT exempt.

One reason why we promote the Tdi series of engines.

There is more information HERE

:Tdi

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:

Up rate the front brakes to 3" shoes and drums as per 6 pot/Stage 1 V8 at least with a 200/300TDi. Land Rover considered it necessary with the extra power.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers

Try it .... You'd be surprised just how effective they are without affecting your awareness of other traffic.

... and they keep your ears warm in winter.

:noisey

I wear them at work all the time, can't hear someone shouting stood right next to me 🤷‍♂️
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.