S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I'm still fighting my printer.  (Read 1780 times)

Birdsnet55

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7589
  • .:
  • Series 2a 1966 station Wagon
Re: I'm still fighting my printer.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2023, 06:51:15 PM »

If you click on the WiFi symbol bottom right of the screen it gives you a list of WiFi networks and 3 buttons, the middle one is Flight mode. Win10 at least

Paul

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2023, 06:54:50 PM »

^^^^ well well, that's another thing I`ve learnt today  :tiphat
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2023, 08:16:44 PM »

Hi 602,
There is a `Flight Mode`on your mobile phone, and as you say it stops all incoming & outgoing communications. But I`ve never heard of this mode being available on a PC  :cheers
I did have a keyboard at one point with a similar button. The keyboard was quite large with a row of 'shortcut' buttons along the top. One was a 'privacy' button which did block internet access.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2023, 10:04:59 PM »

If it's a long message - type it out into Word or Open Office to check the content.
Then copy and paste into your email to them.

Hi,

The application form for ATTENDANCE ALLOWANCE is interactive (or whatever the word is). I'm expected to key direct into the form on my screen. As my text fills the available box, the text gets smaller in order to fit. I don't know how small the text can become before the available space is full. ???

Very clever, but not exactly user friendly for us "Wrinklies". I want to tell them, for instance, that my normal gait involves moving my left foot forward about six inches, then  moving my right foot to alongside it. Repeat.  A few weeks ago, I lost my balance in the bedroom, and needed to grab some furniture ... only I had a cup of red hot coffee in each hand. I don't know how I didn't spill both cups. Yes, we have a pre-war hostess trolley, courtesy of Barbara's parents, but our bungalow is not trolley friendly. Steps in excess of 3" high are a major obstacle, worse going down than up, and I like something to hang onto. Social Services provided a ramp to enable Barbara to exit via the front door step. Their first attempt was 1:5.
Barbara's power-chair grounded it's little anti-tip wheels. Second attempt was 1:8, which was within the capabilities of the power-chair, but I was reluctant to use it ... aluminium tread plate about 3mm thick, with about 3" along both edges folded up at 90*. I was nervous about falling, and landing with my ribs hitting the "knife edges". Our builder removed the front door frame, moved it out, and dropped it down the front of the door step, then raised the "brick laid" drive, giving a gradient that is scarcely noticable. This job was combined with brick paving most of the front garden, and I have no way of splitting his £8,000 bill between the two projects. The fiasco of getting Barbara into our 60" Adjustamatic bed ,on her discharge from hospital is worth a mail on its own. (Watch this space). The Social Services were unable to get her into bed with the "engine hoist" type crane. That crane has been sitting in our lounge/diner ever since, and Barbara has been confined to her bed, non-stop, for over a year. I'm planning to visit Care Co in MK, to seek their advice on hanging Barbara from rails nailed to the ceiling. (watch DIY SOS on morning TV, to see what I'm talking about).

Doh Barbara has just called to say there is an "adult" program starting on TV, so I'll continue this in the morning.  :shakeinghead

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2023, 05:43:34 AM »

Hi,

To continue ....

A bit over a year ago, Barbara fell, and as normal she was unable to get vertical again, so she called for an ambulance crew and their pneumatic cushion. THREE HOUR WAIT. So she called the Fire Brigade. The Brigade got her back into bed, but the Crew Chief got quite snotty. He called for an ambulance, which arrived within minutes, and took her to A&E. She spent a month in hospital, presumably to give time to arrange things for her discharge.

The arrangements involved splitting our nearly new Adjustamatic 1500mm double bed in half, giving us two 750mm singles. 750mm is considered a "child's" bed, and inadequate for my circa 100kg body mass. Barbara's half was moved into the study, and replaced with a 1000mm hospital bed (all singing, all dancing, circa £900 on Ebay).

A very posh "engine" crane was delivered (also circa £900 on Ebay), which is where the fun started. The Adjustamatic ran on little castors (normal) giving about 2" clearance between bed and floor. The crane's wheels are at least 3" dia, maybe 4", and too big to go under the bed. Luckily, this was realised before Barbara was discharged.

The solution was to split our nearly new (£3,000?) Adjustamatic 1500mm double bed in half, and dump Barbara's half in the study. It was replaced with a metre wide hospital bed  (all singing, all dancing). That left a 750mm wide bit of Adjustamatic bed, scarcely wide enough for my 100kg body mass. We hit our savings for £750ish, to buy me a 1000mm "nearly" hospital bed ... both mattress ends lift, but the main chassis doesn't lift. With hind-sight, we should have spent another £150, and got a "proper" hospital bed.

Problem! When one end of my bed is lifted, Wilkie can crawl over the frame of MY bed, into the "cave", but seems unable to work out how to get out again. Doh!

All done and dusted, Barbara was delivered home, and into bed. The Social Service's Care Staff tried to lift her out of bed with the crane. STOP!

I have been unable to ascertain whether Barbara was just terrified by the shaking crane not rolling easily over the thick pile carpet, or whether the "under arm" harness was not suitable for her lack of a right shoulder? I keep forgetting my plans to visit MK's branch of Care Co, to investigate solutions, including fitting ceiling rails, so I can whisk her around the house bungalow (bought specially for the occasion). The thick pile carpet (laid by the original lady owner, when the bungalow was new, in 1984) has now been replaced by Parquet flooring throughout.

Disability Facility Grants are NOT MEANS TESTED, if under £1,000, and you can go back for more. £1,000 should cover short stretches of ceiling rail (one at a time)... bed to power chair, power chair to WC, power chair to arm chair, etc.

Be aware that Social Service's Means Testing can include them demanding that you use Equity Release to finance any house alterations needed. They can also take into account any money spent with the intention of reducing your assets. The residents living in one particularly notorius street, in one of our villages lived with a double finance system. Local Money, and, Westminster Money. They had no desire to be affluent. Who can blame them?

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2023, 07:29:53 AM »

Flight mode is on most laptops as well as phones . Strangely it is on my desktop pc as well (just checked) no idea why it is but definitely an option on mine so could be there on 602’s I guess.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2023, 01:46:08 PM »

If you click on the WiFi symbol bottom right of the screen it gives you a list of WiFi networks and 3 buttons, the middle one is Flight mode. Win10 at least

Paul
I went looking for the button bottom right and found a Windows Defender Warning.
It said 'potentially unwanted Ap' found'. Unfortunately it did not say what Ap or why   ???

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2023, 09:51:49 PM »

so could be there on 602’s I guess.

Hi Dog Dave,

I regret that I'm flying a lap-top. I say regret, as I found life easier on my original "gifted" desk-top .... but I think I was on W8, then, if not W7.

(The "stick" on a Tiger Moth, flying a couple of circuits round Croydon Aerodrome, circa 1955, helmet and goggles, sitting on a parachute, was much easier than driving a PC today. But technology then, was on a par with my personal abilities.   :cheers )

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2023, 06:57:33 PM »

Hi,

Returning to my printer, a Canon MG2505, my second. Same problem, although I got on with it well ... until it started to click happily, and eject the UN-printed page.

The thought has crossed my mind (tell me if I'm wrong) that the printer does not use a dip-stick to measure the remaining ink, but keeps a tally of how much ink was consumed since the ink cartridge was last replaced (or in my case, since the initially supplied cartridge was first inserted).

But the cartridges that come with the printers are reputed to contain "short measure".

My question is ... "Does my printer know the the first cartridges are going to run out earlier than expected?

Perhaps I should print several sheets of A4 paper in SOLID BLACK? It will of course, produce blank pages, which is what I'm getting.

Barbara (Master of the Purse ... her pension is bigger than mine) ordered new ink, but went for the option, despite my pleas.

The cartridges were advertised as being suitable for my printer, but are substantially larger.

The BLACK cartridges that came with the machine were CANON CL-546(Fine) COLOUR and
CANON PG-546 (Fine) BLACK. Both made in Japan.

The UNBRANDED replacements are 546XL COLOUR, and 545XL BLACK. Both labelled as Remanufactured Ink Cartridges, and made in China.

My options seem to be to drive down to Curries in Milton Keynes, to show them my range of cartridges, and ask their advice. Not their fault, so either option is going to cost me.

Or should I go straight in, and buy another new CANON, and forget the cartridges, for the time being. My decision may rest on the prices for both the printer with some ink, or the ink alone, or both.

I am beginning to wonder if it is (all?) manufacturers policy to unload their "inspection rejects" onto the "Independent Traders". ???

PS. I sometimes wonder if Super Market "home deliveries" contain a large proportion of "Best Before" items.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2023, 07:20:12 PM »

Printer ink is the most expensive liquid on the planet  :shakeinghead

It's almost like they give the printers away free, because they know they are going to make millions on the ink  :thud

Rather than keep buying stuff you don't know if it will work - go down to PC World in MK and ask what they advise.

This will be cheaper (and quicker) for you in the long run.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2023, 02:46:59 AM »

- go down to PC World in MK and ask what they advise.

Hi Alan,

I will accept that as sound advice.

I didn't know there was a PC WORLD in MK. I tend to keep out of towns, as walking hurts. I even take the car to visit my "Political Consultant" who lives at No.66. I live at No.71. But if "push comes to shove". I can recruit my "dog walking" grandson. That would mean driving to my daughter's house in Bletchley, then take a taxi into town ... £5 each way. (My daughter has an account the local taxi firm).

When I had to visit hospital, to have my retina photographed, my daughter recruited a Bank Manager colleague, to take a days leave, to drive me into the hospital, and push my wheel chair from the car park to the Eye Clinic, about 100 yards. The local taxis have a minimum fare, for wheelchairs .... £40. (Presumably they aim at "Airport Jobs"). Don't grow old, it not only hurts, its inconvenient and expensive.

Whatever, you have suggested a plan of action. I doubt that my Financial Adviser (her pension is bigger than mine, and I've been a "kept man" since 1985), will object. I am joking ... I think.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2023, 06:18:17 AM »

John, stop faffing with your printer and go and look at the Moskvitch van that is for sale on eBay

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2023, 10:37:07 AM »

Hi Peter,

Moskvich van? (even the factory were uncertain how to spell their name ... I've seen both spellings in their publications)

I bought a brand new Moskvich van (circa £600, cheapest vehicle on four wheels), in 1971, and certainly not the slowest ... cruising at 70mph on the M4, with plenty in reserve ... with a brand new 12ft Alpine caravan on the hook.

Barbara asked if she could have a go, so I pulled into the Aust Services, close to the Severn Bridge, and we swapped seats. As we approached London, I could see her, out of the corner of my eye, but I ignored her ... and she was too proud to ask. She parked up outside my parent's house in West Croydon, having enjoyed the Saturday morning traffic in Wandsworth, Clapham, Balham, Tooting, and Mitcham.

I reckon a Moskvitch engine (huge aluminium lump. BMW clone?) would look lovely under a Series bonnet. Unfortunately, my plans are to turn my pathetic (brick built, with high 45* tiled roof, sloping the wrong way, but only 8ft wide inside) garage into a bathroom extension.  Barbara seemed to accept my suggestion that we need a WAV. Following our clutch fiasco, I want no further dealings with the main dealer for her car. Right or wrong, I did not appreciate the Sprog in Reception telling me that I don't know how to drive. I do not "ride" the cluch pedal, and I do not have to slip the clutch to spin the front tyres when accelerating. (OK, that would be in first gear, and when exiting a roundabout, at low speed. I hate "tangental" roundabouts.)

PS. Barbara has NOT been out of bed, at alll, for over a year.

LV eventually accepted that the Registered Keeper does not need to be the main/only driver. That was after I told them about the irate woman who wrote to DVLC, in 1974, complaining we had "given" her car to her chauffeur.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2023, 10:48:03 AM »

I can remember Tony Lanfranchi racing a Moskvich in the 1960's. He always won his class and survived despite the brakes which were known to be appalling.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2023, 06:00:43 AM »

despite the brakes which were known to be appalling.

Hi AD,

Wrong! Moskvich brakes were extremely powerful ... TOO powerful. You could always recognise a new Moskvich driver by the way they approached traffic lights in a series of short skids.

Moskvitch brakes used a very simple type of self adjustment, but were prone to un-adjusting themselves. It required pressure to readjust whichever wheel had unadjusted, by which time the brakes thar were still working had locked up one or more wheels.

Later legislation (Type Approval) prevented Moskvich from being imported. A shame, as the self-adjusting brake design, was very simple, and presumably cheap to manufacture. It would be easy to convert Series brakes to such a system, without removing the wheel cylinders, and at minimal cost. Its a pity that the manufacturers did not put some effort into overcoming the problem ... but disc brakes became the norm ... at a price.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.