S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: More Blue Badge stuff.  (Read 1447 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
More Blue Badge stuff.
« on: February 10, 2022, 04:56:18 AM »

Hi,

Doing some research on Blue Badges/Milton Keynes, pulled up an on-line application form, and found one question, along the lines of ... Are you able to insert a coin in a parking meter?  Further research seemed to support this.

This differs from when Barbara last applied for a Blue Badge ... which she never used on the road, only in doctors, etc, and supermarket car parks.

Any comments?

The time  before last that Barbara went out in a car, it took her about 20 minutes to transfer from her wheel-chair back into her car..

THe LAST time she went out her car, she found she could still drive OK, but found the clutch too heavy for comfort. An AUTOMATIC is on on our shopping list ... soon ... or was.

Also, it seems that a disabled person has to be driving, to be able to use a blue badge.

Any comments?

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
Re: More Blue Badge stuff.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2022, 07:15:35 AM »

I'm just thinking aloud here so please don't feel you need to reply if you'd rather not do so on the forum.

Are you officially Barbara's carer? If so I'm fairly certain you can use the blue badge as long as she is in the car with you.

And I know we're talking council's here so any dealings are likely to be painful, but surely they must have a designated "bod" who deals with the issue of blue badges?

Final thought, if you get no joy would involving your MP/local councillor be an option?.

gilbo

• Master of the oils
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2022, 07:29:53 AM »

Hi,

Doing some research on Blue Badges/Milton Keynes, pulled up an on-line application form, and found one question, along the lines of ... Are you able to insert a coin in a parking meter?  Further research seemed to support this.

This differs from when Barbara last applied for a Blue Badge ... which she never used on the road, only in doctors, etc, and supermarket car parks.

Any comments?

The time  before last that Barbara went out in a car, it took her about 20 minutes to transfer from her wheel-chair back into her car..

THe LAST time she went out her car, she found she could still drive OK, but found the clutch too heavy for comfort. An AUTOMATIC is on on our shopping list ... soon ... or was.

Also, it seems that a disabled person has to be driving, to be able to use a blue badge.

Any comments?

Morning John

I am not sure if different councils make up different rules/conditions/questions but here in Dorset I don't remember any such question when we recently renewed/reapplied for my wife's badge which was actually pretty painless. Of course there are lots of questions about mobility (and by the sounds of your description it would seem you have no problem with them denying a badge) which you have to answer 'truthfully', it also used to be the case that the GP had to confirm and countersign the application but that seems to have gone these days (no idea when it stopped).
The person who the badge is registered to only has to be being transprted in the car - anyone can drive - in order for the badge to be used.
Watch out for these crafty restrictions in many car parks where there are disabled spaces but .......... you still have to pay!!!!
Unless the vehicle is rated tax free due to the disability.
OH, and they now charge you a tenner!
HTH

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »

Until the toll was scrapped on the Severn Bridges, any excursion to the West Country meant a day out for my ancient Aunt.
Never understood the logic of that regulation.   Similarly, one blue badge passenger on a bus allowed a free crossing.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »

The person who the badge is registered to only has to be being transprted in the car - anyone can drive - in order for the badge to be used.

You have to then display the badge - the disabled person with the badge can travel in any car !

The question about feeding coins into a meter is now redundant.

They use "smart" payments from your phone.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2022, 12:11:43 PM »

Hi,

Barbara did not meet this problem when applying for her previous (now expired) Blue Badge. I have no recollection of her ever using it, because she never went anywhere. He visit to the dentist was after the badge expired.

I remember that she drove ONCE, but can't remember the reason why. She will admit being a little out of practice, and her Hyundai (which IS a 1600) is wickedly quick.

The Milton Keynes application for a Blue Badge (Google will find it) states ....

D. If you are the person you are applying for have answered NO to all the questions in Section B, you will only qualify for a Blue Badge if you are over two years of age and have ...

...a permanent and substantial disability which means you are unable to walk, or have very considerable difficulty in walking. or ...

... drive a vehicle regularly, have severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of parking meters.

Barbara has one disabled arm (the right). She needs her other arm to hold her stick when "standing" Draped over that stick, at which time she is less than five feet tall. and she cannot lift her other hand above shoulder level, complicated by that hand  "dangling".  She cannot operate a domestic light switch which should be 48" above floor level, so she prods it with her stick, while sitting in her joy-stick controlled "power chair".

I do not foresee her venturing into Parking Meter territory, but many private car parks ... surgery and chemist, supermarkets, etc have spaces dedicated to those disabled, and they expect to see a blue badge.

As far as I can make out, the above legislation is in the Statute Book (unless anybody know different) which I think means either an appeal (ultra vires as unreasonable), or the intervention of the Omsbudsman.

Onwards and Upwards ....

A-Ro

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1998
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2022, 08:57:55 PM »

I am, or rather my family is, starting to embark on this journey for my mum who no longer drives and needs assistance wherever she goes, one of my siblings’ partners was a district nurse and her advice is to get Age Concern to help fill in the documents and to always err on the side of worst case scenario otherwise the application will be rejected.
When designing something to be foolproof never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 12:18:38 PM »

and her advice is to get Age Concern to help fill in the documents

Hi A-ro,

That was my logic when filling in Barbara's previous (first) application ... but the correspondence got nowhere, and eventually petered out. Barbara filled it in, and it went through without comment (though I did mention it to our local councillor). Barbara could still walk then, but used a traditional wheelchair in her car.

We had also tried SSAFA ... but they were not interested.

The RAF Benevolent Fund, seem to exclude us from their interest, as we are "too well heeled" .... despite suggesting , while serving, that a request to cease donating a small proportion of our would earn us an invitation to discuss it with the CO ... immediately.

I subscribed to the Civil Service Benevolent Fund, for about 15 years. Barbara didn't, but my contributions should cover her. I have not investigated if they Means Test the Applicants.

I have asked both LA Social Worker, and LA Occupational Therapist about a Disability Facilities Grant to provide access to the rear garden (mainly so Barbara can exit via the back door, in the event of a fire in the kitchen. Neither lady was aware that the Act specifically mentions safe access to a garden area ... and specifically mentions gardens adjoining house boats.

I will be asking our medical insurers to cover the cost (circa £700) for referring her to an Occupational Therapist in private practice, just a couple of miles away.

mick2388

• .:
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 07:16:01 PM »

I don't want to sound rude But go and see your doctor. Phone the surgery and ask who your named personal doctor is {you do have one} then make a appointment to see him/her but only him/her. Tell them your problems/issues how your wife's disabilities are affecting your day to day life and you are needing help. You need to get the wife to do the same with her doctor to. If you don't get the answers you want/need phone next week and start again they do listen. Next spend your money to give both you and your wife a better quality of life in your later years it is no good being the richest man in the grave yard that's getting you no where. Plus ask your daughter if she needs your money when you go bet you get a stern answer from her.

This is not meant in any way to be rude or a personnel attack we are going through similar stuff with the in laws and the pressure and stress to get them to ask for help is huge. We also work in social care and half know our way around but you have to push and be persistent.

Good luck with your quest.

Mick   
Up here in Co Durham

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2022, 04:56:52 PM »

Hi,

Thanks for responds.

My latest research was specifically about disabled parking on private premises, such as pubs. Responses were not totally conclusive .... for instance, our dentists car park is free, but Barbara would need a mother and child parking bay. Academic on that occasion, as there was a disabled bay, which she used, but I've already recounted that episode ... 20 minutes, between wheel-chair and car, hanging onto the open door.

My latest finding is this ... https://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/disabled-bay-blue-badges/  Apparently one can invoke EQUALITY rights.

Mick. Barbara's doctor is aware of her mobility problems, but home visits are carried out by nurses. I am not aware of anybody having a home visit by a doctor, but then again, I have never asked anybody else.

The Surgery (and Chemist) is approached by a concrete ramp, and/or steps. I would be reluctant to push Barbara up that slope (maybe a couple of years ago).  There is a huge bloke wandering around the surgery, who I assume has the job of dragging wheeled patients up to the inner-sanctum. I do not know how one is supposed to summon him, as it can take a long wait to make contact with the surgery by phone.

My Local Authorities Social Services staff seem to be unaware of some of the requirements  of the Disability Facilities Grant Legislation ... specifically Access to a Garden Area.. I have not investigated what else they don't know.

Just to rub salt into the wound, I have watched the adjacent pub disgorge it's patrons, at end of lunch ... they all collected their cars from the surgery car-park.

The Surgery does not have a mail box accessible when the surgery is closed.

On the other hand, the pharmacy branch of the practice has an excellent record of delivering Barbara's, and my, repeat prescriptions to our front door. They just arrive on schedule.  The Pharmacy was also able to show records of prescriptions received ... or NOT received, from the private clinic who were supposed to be replacing Barbara's knees , funded by the NHS, ... which never came to pass.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2022, 05:16:26 PM »

Surely, when you book a doctors appointment at the same time you request help with access into the building ???

... or perhaps the NHS doesn't provide assistance.

:blood_bus

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2022, 06:28:20 PM »

In the general area of Doctors appointments... a middle-aged relative injured himself yesterday, had a sleepless night with soreness so rang the GP Surgery early this morning. Was seen by the GP around lunchtime, told he has cracked a rib, given a prescription for pain relief and advice on the best route to repair... From phone-call to having seen the GP and got the meds in his hand in just over 4 hours.  Even better, he was told that his old GP who had retired is still doing some "locum" work so they will arrange for him to see that GP if some long-standing MH issues require it.

10/10 NHS. 
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »

Hi Gene,

I am not aware of our doctors ever leaving the Health Centre ... all the outside work is done by the district nurses. Barbara had difficulty getting her COVID injections at home, although they have seemed to accept the necessity after the first jab.

In the three years we have lived here, I have seen one GP, about a worrying growth across my back ... which turned out to br some sort of up-market wart. I still use a long handled shoe horn on a bad day.

If my GP (ex-navy, made frequent references about the "stuff" hitting the fan) heard rumours that you were ill, he'd be knocking on your door. He promised to support my application for a Medical Retirement from the Civil Service, and kept his promise. On one occasion. he commented that he had never met my children.

Barbara had a really caring dentist in MK, but he moved to Ystalafera in the Swansea Valley .... about three miles from Pontardawe, where we used to live.  Doh!  Her new MK dentist replaced a detached crown, while she sat in her wheel-chair, but said that next time she must sit in the proper chair. That should be fun!

PS My thanks to Alan, and all who are following/contribution to this discussion. I hope that my/our experiences will help others.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.