S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rubbish bins. OT  (Read 1166 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Rubbish bins. OT
« on: April 28, 2023, 05:20:38 PM »

Hi,

I hope this works.....

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/travel/news/bins-may-be-seized-if-left-out-in-a-new-scheme-to-stop-rule-breaking-residents/ar-AA1arXav?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=79f11ffd829a46ae8be09354fe63ba17&ei=25

Hmmm!

I leave my bins on my own property, next to the front boundary.

It's the bin men who leave them in the middle of the road.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Re: Rubbish bins. OT
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 05:43:21 PM »

Don't worry Stoke-on-Trent is miles away from you ....

:dustcart-1_RH :dustcart_RH.gif
Who's a then ?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 09:40:50 PM »

Agreed bins left out can sometimes be a nuisance but how would you enforce such a rule ?
If Wife and I are both on late shift neither of us is home before 9Pm.
Ok boss if I just nip home to put the bins in. Don't think so.
Long story short, but when we first moved into our current home, bins where left on grass verge directly opposite our house.
Then without warning they stopped being emptied, for three weeks, in the good old days of weekly collections, I had to call Council and they would send a small truck to collect ours and next door neighbours bin.
Then a man from the Council turned up and explained that bins could only be collected from and of road. All six foot away.
No big deal but why did it take three weeks for them to tell us that where we had left them for the past two years was wrong ?   :shakeinghead

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 09:57:34 PM »

They don't want to empty your bins.

Silly rules put in place to give them any excuse not to do what you have paid them to do  >:(

Same rules at the tips recycling centres - ours now want £6 per car tyre  :shakeinghead
Guess where they are going once my DNA has been wiped off.

:dustcart-1_RH

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2023, 07:52:38 AM »

Where I live bins must be out by 6am and if not collected left out even if that means next week - re council instruction when you report non collection!
On windy days bins and rubish is all over the road and council dont give a dam :stars
We have brown bins for garden things which we pay extra for but it seems that 10% of the contents are left in the road perhaps as a way of showing they have been :thud

BUT the bin men are nice chaps and happy to talk Land Rovers :first

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2023, 07:56:46 AM »

This has to be the dullest thread in a long time...🙄

I hope the bins are Series 2’s...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2023, 09:33:12 AM »

Hi Kev,

I apologise!  On the other hand, there is no obligation on you to read it. I'll try to stop soon.

Some months ago, our black bin was not emptied. I assumed I had put it out too late, and missed the automatic bin emptying lorry. I won't go into what was in the black bags, lets just say it was "clinical waste" .... and the bin was brimming ... lid wouldn't close ... a normal week. Barbara phoned the LA to ask what time the bin would be emptied the following week.

"We don't empty black bins any more!"

By this time the local vermin .... squirrels, rats, magpies, etc ... had broken into the bags, closely followed by flies. When I lifted the bags out of the bin, the bottom was covered with maggots. Half a bottle of disinfectant required to drown them.

Somehow (memory fades) I came to believe that the black bins did not belong to the LA. I bought myself a new black bin .... £80 from Ebay. Both bins are needed, so that the lids can be closed securely. They are kept by the front door, blocking the garage door, as that is the closest convenient spot to the bedroom.

Come "Bin Day", Barbara's Care Workers have to remove the black bags (heavy! 25kg each?) and carry them down to the front gate ...  after which we can lie in bed and watch the bags being attacked by magpies, until they are collected by a couple of strapping lads. I understand that we can apply to have the bags collected from their normal storage point (outside the garage), but not if they are still in the bins.  I can feel a crusade coming over me.

PS, Still fighting against oppression .... some years ago we applied for a grant from our South Wales LA.  The application had to be signed by both Barbara and Myself, and returned by Friday. Barbara was on a course in Cardington that week, and would not be home till late.

Whatever, she signed the form, and I took it round to the Mayor's house. His Worship was in his bath, but he did endorse the envelope that he knew that I was going to deliver it to the town hall that evening.

No letter box at town hall, but there was a security guard lurking in the foyer, who accepted the envelope.

His Worship received a phone call on Monday morning, asking for an explanation. We received the grant.

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2023, 09:54:00 AM »

Although not in my area, my local tv news reports that Milton Keynes are replacing their plastic sacks collection with 4 bins to each property to encourage recycling. A Black bin for non-recyclable. One with a Blue lid for plastic - metal - glass. One with a Red lid for paper and cardboard. And a Green bin for food and garden waste.

A resident complains that in his cul-de-sac of 40 houses, there will be 160 bins. Bad enough if you can store them behind your property, but what about rows of terrace houses who will have to leave there bins on the pavement at the front, climbing over them to get to your front door   :thud
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2023, 10:05:03 AM »

I hope the bins are Series 2’s...
It may be dull. At least it not rubbish ! 😀
Sorry couldn't resist.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 10:08:11 AM »

Although not in my area, my local tv news reports that Milton Keynes are replacing their plastic sacks collection with 4 bins to each property to encourage recycling. A Black bin for non-recyclable. One with a Blue lid for plastic - metal - glass. One with a Red lid for paper and cardboard. And a Green bin for food and garden waste.

A resident complains that in his cul-de-sac of 40 houses, there will be 160 bins. Bad enough if you can store them behind your property, but what about rows of terrace houses who will have to leave there bins on the pavement at the front, climbing over them to get to your front door   :thud
All our recycling, except garden waste, there is a charge for that, goes in one bin. It does make life easier.
Although some items marked as recyclable, such as food containers and tetrapak are not 'currently recycled' in Knowsley.

Noddy

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3118
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 10:24:39 AM »

Our Council provided an extra bin so that paper and card could be kept seperate to stop contamination. This means more goes for recycling and less to the incinerator. With the head gardener's garden waste bins we now have six bins in total.

Alec

Eve

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3042
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 07:50:39 PM »

Contact your council to see if you can have extra black bins due to the amount of 'clinical waste' generated in your household. You may also qualify for assisted bin emptying depending on the extent of your combined disabilities . If so the bin men will come onto your property to collect the bins and return them after emptying. They won't go into the back garden or through your property to collect the bins, they need to be in the front garden and easily accessible.
Check the MK council website or give them a call.

(just been through all this for my 98 year old father. Warwick District Council provide extra black bins for his needs and assisted bin collection/emptying)
1966 SWB Utility Marine Blue 2.25 Petrol

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 08:49:02 PM »

Quite a number of items that are marked recyclable can't be recycled here, only cardboard, paper, aerosol containers and plastic bottles are allowable yet elsewhere more recyclable items can be recycled. There should be a nationwide recycling standard. It's so ridiculous but it is England after all.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2023, 06:02:25 AM »

Hi Eve.

MK have offered to move our bins from where-ever, to the front of our property, provided there is nobody else available to do it.

As it is, I park the two black bins ( I bought the second myself ... £80 ... as the LA told me they did not provide them). in front of our garage door, close to our front door, which makes life easier for the Carers. Our Carers empty the black bins, and carry the contents to the front border of our property ... where we can watch through our bedroom window as the magpies dig their way into the "tasty contents". There is no way we can leave the black bags out for up to a week without them being in wheelie bins.  Our Carers move the black bags from the bins to our front border (still on our property) on Bin Day. Even for the short period before the bags are collected, we can lie in bed and watch the vermin in action.

I understand that we are going to get two new bins ... red and yellow, ? , but I can't remember what they are for. LAs do not take senility into account. I will wait until I "NEED TO KNOW"  before investigating further.

Hmmm! The LA do/did not provide the first black wheelie bin, and I bought the second. I wonder if they feel entitled to take them away, without warning.

PS. MY Carers are becoming militant about me only receiving the DAY PORTION of Attendance Allowance, and are prepared to drive me down to, and lay siege on, the Council Offices. Did the "Amazons" originate in Africa?

B*****! I can't find the letter informing me of my AA amounts... it ought to be somewhere on the half-acre of bedroom window ledge.

Both the Carers, and the Cleaners, have told us that we are the favourite clients.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2023, 04:34:18 PM »

Hi,

I used to roll the black bins down to the end of the drive, effectively converting the bins into barrows, unload, then move the now empty bins back to in front of the garage.

But now the Carers do it for me. They have become very demanding that they be allowed to do their jobs. I'm not even allowed to shower myself, nor wash the dishes. Getting dressed involves them putting on my socks, then pants, then trousers, with everything  around my ankles BEFORE dragging pants and trews up to waist level. Seems unnatural to me. I have a long handled shoe-horn at both of my dressing areas, which they do agree to me using by myself.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 20 queries.