S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The 602 solution to MOT queues.  (Read 1084 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
The 602 solution to MOT queues.
« on: September 30, 2020, 08:01:44 PM »

Hi,

Well, it took me about two minutes, after I saw it on the TV news, to come up with a solution.

Just carry on as before, but add 12 months to the date of expiry of the MOTs that have been postponed due to the lock-down. Except for ...

1. Vehicles that have changed hands during the lock-down period, or do change hands within the extended period,

2. Vehicles that come to the attention of the police, traffic wardens, etc.

3. HMG to reserve the right to reduce the period, at any time, but with consideration of the choas a mass stampede to the MOT testers could cause.

4. No vehicle to change keepers without "n" months MOT remaining.

No doubt somebody else could improve on that suggestion, given another ten minutes.

PS.I started driving during the Suez Criscis, when Provisional Licence Holders could drive unaccompanied after holding their licence for a month. I had two lessons with BSM, to learn how to drive sensibly, before taking my test
 in 1959.

In 1960, I had five, two hour, lessons driving an RAF Bedford RL 4X4 , mixing it with the trams and holiday makers, in Blackpool, during the Summer of 1960. My Examiner was a Ministry approved Sergeant. Academic, as I already had a licence, but it covered me for RAF vehicles. It also "entitled me to do "Duty Driver".

At RAAF Butterworth, my Sergeant was a UK Ministry approved examiner, used to test the Australian military drivers. And just for fun, he would "surrupticiousy" (sp?) test the driver of every RAF, or RAAF, vehicle that travelled in as a passenger. I think I was the only person that he never "mock failed".

OT .. Sarge was asked to test an Australian soldier .. who had a full UK licence. His family had recently emigrated to Oz ... and he was promptly called up for National Service ... and posted to Viet Nam (two hoots and a holler to the North).

OTT ..., The Qzzies were flying ex-Korean war F86 Sabres (AKA "White Mice"). Our pilots were instructed not to show off.  A Supermarine Swift (RAF fighter-jet) flew low over our office one day, going like a bat out of hell. We found out he was in the process of breaking UK to Singapore speed record. (this was either late 1959, or early 1960. (I celebrated my 21st birthday in the desert).

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 23 queries.