S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: - STOLEN -  (Read 6026 times)

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
- STOLEN -
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2023, 12:13:41 PM »

A few months ago I went to the local train station to go into London for the day and parked next to a lovely 110 station wagon in the station car park. As I parked my little Toyota next to it I thought to myself, not sure I'd be brave enough to leave that here everyday of the week.

A few weeks ago I see a post on the local FaceBook page with a stolen post of the very same lovely 110 taken from the station carpark. You just can't have nice things these days....  :'(

Craig.

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2023, 02:24:59 PM »

Very sad, the police do nothing and are not interested. The courts do nothing in the very rare case they get caught. The people that get the chance to defend their property get punished for doing so by the same police and courts that won’t do anything about thieves. Was a case in MCN this week where 2 thieves caught stealing a judges bike from a court car park were let off.

Aside from the irony of people stealing from the judges that are causing a lot of the problem by letting the thieves off to keep doing it, you have to wonder what chance any of us would have of justice

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
- STOLEN -
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2023, 07:52:59 PM »

I'm in West London and due to my new neighbours being w@*&3%5 my Series 2 will soon be parked on the street so this is worrying.
I'm going for a steering wheel disklok, a clutch claw pedal lock, a dvla wheel clamp I found in a hedge, a tracker and anything else I can think of. Still won't sleep well though  :'(
The proper Diskloks are good, I've got one on my motor, (and had one on the Morris before I flogged it) I seem to recall reading somewhere that the car thieving fraternity really do dislike these as they're actually quite difficult to smash off, and if faced with one will nick the motor with a beaver tail recovery truck or whatever rather than tackle the Disklok on the street.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2023, 08:06:08 PM »

I'm in West London and due to my new neighbours being w@*&3%5 my Series 2 will soon be parked on the street so this is worrying.
I'm going for a steering wheel disklok, a clutch claw pedal lock, a dvla wheel clamp I found in a hedge, a tracker and anything else I can think of. Still won't sleep well though  :'(

It sounds as though you've covered everything you reasonably can. A decent tracker would be top of my list, and discreetly marking everything you can to aid identification if the worst should happen.

Given the amount of interest in Series Land Rovers and the reach of social media I'm surprised at how few of those stolen seem to be recovered, either whole or in part.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
- STOLEN -
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2023, 08:14:34 PM »

It sounds as though you've covered everything you reasonably can. A decent tracker would be top of my list, and discreetly marking everything you can to aid identification if the worst should happen.

Given the amount of interest in Series Land Rovers and the reach of social media I'm surprised at how few of those stolen seem to be recovered, either whole or in part.
I'd think once a series motor is stripped for parts, those parts are realistically untraceable, and as for complete motors as mentioned, they're going to be off this island fairly promptly, again lost without trace..

DrewW

- STOLEN -
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 12:07:34 PM »

My London neighbour messaged me this morning to say the door of my Landy was open... Someone's been and opened the lock overnight.

Nothing appeared to have even been touched inside at least but still terrifying in light of the London series theft spate atm.

After some thinking, alongside other layers of defence I have installed on the vehicle, an actual on-wheel clamp is probably going to be my best visible and physical deterrent against towing or driving it away. A quietish and neighbourly street so any grinding or jimmying going will hopefully be heard - any recommendations folks?

Obv with a spare wheel currently unsecured on the bonnet (parts on order), the lugs will need to be covered over but other than that, hard to see between em aside from price and thickness of beef!

Cheers

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
- STOLEN -
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 12:35:45 PM »

I'm very aware of ny lack of security, whilst I do have some they all can be got around :shakeinghead

But if your series is a daily driver and kept outside on or even off the road adding more and more security makes it hard to use it as a daily driver.
If you go out a couple of times a day putting on and taking off wheel locks/clutch claws/ disc locks etc etc each time soon becomes >:D and in the rain  >:D >:D >:D

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
- STOLEN -
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 12:47:54 PM »

Pity these are only legal in SA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuFfrbyX6g
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
- STOLEN -
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 01:00:22 PM »

Pity these are only legal in SA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuFfrbyX6g
Is there a club discount on these :bright-idea

(Only joking....... but tempting)

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 01:40:59 PM »

My Series 3 has a large wheelclamp and it can be a bit of a faff getting it on and off as it weighs nearly half a hundredweight BUT, it's far less of a faff than having the vehicle stolen. There's a knack to raid removal and fitting it and it's really no problem.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
- STOLEN -
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 02:40:06 PM »

An item on the BBC News website today concerns a £100,000 Range Rover Sport (assume that's the new price) stolen from a gated drive in 63 seconds.

It was found one month later wedged(!) in a container at Tilbury Docks, bound for the Congo.

It was tracked by the Police as the Keys were still with the owner evidently, though I don't know how that works.

That gated drive property was in Bishop's Stortford, not too far from me, and not identified as a "high crime" area.......

Police are talking about organised gangs stealing to order.   :shakeinghead

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 02:56:31 PM »

An item on the BBC News website today concerns a £100,000 Range Rover Sport (assume that's the new price) stolen from a gated drive in 63 seconds.

It was found one month later wedged(!) in a container at Tilbury Docks, bound for the Congo.

It was tracked by the Police as the Keys were still with the owner evidently, though I don't know how that works.

That gated drive property was in Bishop's Stortford, not too far from me, and not identified as a "high crime" area.......

Police are talking about organised gangs stealing to order.   :shakeinghead

I remember watching a video about stolen cars in Canada, they made their way to Nigeria and sold on the open markets there, with Canadian reg plates still attatched. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gshyozP-GY8)

having 2 trackers might be a good idea these days, one hidden and one very well hidden. might stop looking after they find the first, giving the chance to find the vehicle again.

makes you wonder where the stolen series land rovers will pop up and if they even check containers leaving the country. ???

williammac

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6158
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 03:06:23 PM »

After some thinking, alongside other layers of defence I have installed on the vehicle, an actual on-wheel clamp is probably going to be my best visible and physical deterrent against towing or driving it away. A quietish and neighbourly street so any grinding or jimmying going will hopefully be heard - any recommendations folks? 

I got one of the Home Office approved wheel clamps from the 'London Wheel Clamping Company' based in croydon. It was about £120. Very hefty indeed. I once watched a nefarious neighbour remove one - it was a long, noisy job!
You'll need, from memory, the truck one to ensure the wheel nuts are sufficiently covered.

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 03:28:49 PM »

I watched a video of a test of motorbike security locks. A guy on a candid camera type set-up used a battery powered angle grinder to go through locks and chains in seconds. The cars/people passing paid zero attention

Looking at that wheel clamp, how secure would it be against such tools? I fear “not very”…
Not getting anywhere, fast

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2023, 03:38:50 PM »

When my daughter worked up at Sainsbury's and a customer had trouble with their bike lock by the front door, she called me for help.

I went there with my cordless angle grinder  :grinder and I put on my fluorescent vest. It took just a few seconds to get through a bike lock.
The public took not a blind bit of notice of me ???
Who's a then ?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 19 queries.