S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine test  (Read 403 times)

Bigdog1967

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 8045
  • .:
Engine test
« on: February 19, 2023, 06:59:18 PM »

I assume now would be the best time to check the condition of my 2 1/4 diesel engine, get it running and check for maybe blow by from the engine etc, probably slightly easier to change if it was worn etc, what other tests should I do, thanks

Oilyrag921

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8113
  • .:
Re: Engine test
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2023, 10:20:52 PM »

Perhaps a compression test if you have test kit, also check the injectors too for correct spray pattern. It's difficult to go further with the injectors without a pressure tester though. If you are familiar with the history of the engine how did it run previously ?  Was there any smoke, what colour  and just on starting or constantly ? I'm thinking about pump timing and worn chain there.
I'm in a similar position with my diesel at the moment, I've only had it running a couple of times and the history is unknown but I expect a lot it will be clearer with more extensive testing.  I have however removed and dismantled my injectors, cleaned them and re-assembled, it certainly started better after that.
Michael

Bigdog1967

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 8045
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 07:44:02 AM »

I am unsure on the history of the engine but it did start first time after being lying for a while, when I had it running there didn’t appear to be much smoke but I only had it running a minute or so, thanks

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2023, 08:15:37 AM »

If it ran clean for the first minute I’d say there’s not much wrong.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2023, 09:02:19 AM »

I'd just give it an oil and filter change, plus coolant, air filter clean and oil etc... then just run it up to temp and see how it goes, as above mentioned , it sounds OK so far

Woodenman

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7716
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2023, 11:04:42 AM »

I replaced the fluids and ran mine to assess its problems, hard to start without allot of heat, and wont restart even when warm without either a lot of turning over or heat and i have positive crankcase pressure (blows out from dipstick).

However once its running it will puff along happily as long as you watch the oil level (which it loses even when not running :) ).

But because of the problems I sourced a  replacement 2.25 diesel 5 bearing to replace it (hopefully cheaper option) that was being used daily by a club member, but was being removed to be replaced with a petrol of correct period (im not worried about bitsa's personally).
1967 Series 2a 88 Ragtop suffix D
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 17 queries.