S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Classic Insurance  (Read 1090 times)

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
Classic Insurance
« on: May 16, 2023, 09:11:15 PM »

Insurance due for renewal on my LandRover and price from Hagerty was £128 with all the bells and whistles.
Seemed a bit excessive so I went on a compare site. Prices where from £62, only thing not listed that I want was agreed value. so will have to give them a call.
Which brings me to the forum. I looked at Adrian Flux and filled out the online form. Some of the questions  ???
Date of purchase, date of NCB, date of passing Driving and Advanced tests !
I appreciate details are required but exact dates for things that happened over Forty years ago ? Driving test is on Licence but the others had to be best guess.
Anyway, I will await for AF to get back to me with a price. And I will ponder the vagaries of car insurance . . .

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Classic Insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 10:01:59 PM »

I dare say Dan will add a comment in due course!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2023, 07:10:34 AM »

Hi Shed,

DVLC will have a copy of your Driving Test Pass, if after about 1974/1975. Prior to that, they just accepted the presentation of a valid licence as evidence that you had passed a test.

My father, born 1906, never took a test ... tests had not been invented ... he simply paid (five shillings?) for an ALL GROUPS licence.

Assuming they will (at a cost) ... DVLC should be able to provide you with a copy of your first computer generated licence, or if recent enough, a copy of your Driving Test Pass.

Do you still have any historic Certificates of Insurance.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2023, 09:07:57 AM »

I know that most dates would be available with a bit of digging, I just not sure why they need exact dates ?
Surely if it over, say ten years, then it becomes a bit irrelevant. If I take best guess and it turns out to be wrong would that invalidate insurance given that the date of an event would probably have no significance on a claim.  ???
I think there is case history on similar.
Ok, I'm getting a bit to deep now. Move on.  :RHD
As regards to Licences,a friend of my Dads, a Transporter Driver, received his HGV Licence many moons ago by going along to the local DVLC office, remember them ?
Handed over the fee and a letter from his employer stating he had been driving Large Goods Vehicles, and licence was duly issued.
Not sure I would like it to be quite so easy today, but less jumping through hoops .

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5597
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 09:24:57 AM »

I’ve given a certain insurer a wide berth since contacting them in the early days of Caterham ownership (more than once) in a period* when they marketed themselves as expert in that field.

It was clear from the ‘tone deaf’ questions I was asked of the vehicle - and their intransigence when asked to apply some common sense to the subject matter - that they were not for me.

*This was almost exactly 20 years ago - but plus ca change, by the sounds of it!

Instead, for kitcar ownership - and latterly for the S2A - I remain with a broker/insurer that isn’t necessarily the cheapest but who has successfully built an empathetic relationship *and* (more importantly?) demonstrated commitment and understanding in the event of a claim.

Gibbo103

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5172
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2023, 10:28:49 AM »

It may be worth checking on the club website to see which insurers give S2 club discount. I saved over £50 on my multi car insurance by mentioning the club.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2023, 01:44:48 PM »

Insurance due for renewal on my LandRover and price from Hagerty was £128 with all the bells and whistles.
Seemed a bit excessive so I went on a compare site. Prices where from £62, only thing not listed that I want was agreed value. so will have to give them a call.
Which brings me to the forum. I looked at Adrian Flux and filled out the online form. Some of the questions  ???
Date of purchase, date of NCB, date of passing Driving and Advanced tests !
I appreciate details are required but exact dates for things that happened over Forty years ago ? Driving test is on Licence but the others had to be best guess.
Anyway, I will await for AF to get back to me with a price. And I will ponder the vagaries of car insurance . . .

what compare site did you use, my renewal is same as yours.

when i tried to better it it got worse for less cover

mine is with peter james, of there choosing fully comp unlimited miles, me to drive only, not covered on other cars

I asked if thatched cat disklok reduced they said no

I asked if series 2 club was on their approved list they said no

full ncb and clean licence

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2023, 02:19:45 PM »

I think you need to speak with Peter James again  :shakeinghead

They do offer S2C members quite a generous discount  :first

We have several insurance companies/brokers listed in our member discount section on the website.

The thing with insurance is what's a good deal for you may not be the best deal for someone else.

:-\
Remembering that the cheapest is not always the best.
You only find out when you are involved in an accident and try to make a  claim.

:certificate
Who's a then ?

Big-chris

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3365
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2023, 02:24:37 PM »

Well I don’t think it’s a bad price from Hagerty if it has all you need included  ?? the time you need your insurance is when you appreciate that you didn’t scrimp on the price when taking out the policy! Have you actually called Hagerty to discuss the renewal? You may find if you call them there might be a bit of wriggle room at their end and the price may come down slightly…. If you we’re talking hundreds I could comprehend but fifty quid for the peace of mind that if you need them you won’t be battling at a time when you are not in the best frame of mind  :-\

Most comparison sites give you a basic bones price to get your attention, as soon as you start filling in the details you would like to bolt on the price starts to increase! You have also spent half a day of your life you will never get back!!

I know times are tight at the moment for everyone and every pound counts! We just have to choose where to tighten up if at all possible….

A few years ago I had a role of building insurance loss adjuster, it opened my eyes with insurance companies and premiums people paid, having the experience of looking from the inside out, and having to inform people that their policies only cover half the value of the necessary repairs and they would have to contribute tens of thousands if they wanted their fire/water/storm etc damages fixed in full! The usual answer was they went for the cheapest quote because it saved them a few quid, one chap change from his 7 year continuous cover because he was quoted £20 less?? Makes you think!!!  :tiphat
Never argue with an idiot! They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!!

• Master of the oils
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2023, 02:43:13 PM »

I think you need to speak with Peter James again  :shakeinghead

They do offer S2C members quite a generous discount  :first

We have several insurance companies/brokers listed in our member discount section on the website.

The thing with insurance is what's a good deal for you may not be the best deal for someone else.

:-\
Remembering that the cheapest is not always the best.
You only find out when you are involved in an accident and try to make a  claim.

:certificate

They have been taken over and only the name is unchanged.

Health means I have not been driving full stop.

Does anyone use a laid up policy, and does that preserve ncb.

My policy is fully comp, unlimited, european cover, audio glass.........

I dont need unlimited, not going globetrotting, got no radio

Increases seem to be in admin and new policy arrangement fees which will most likely see me pay up to get more of the same that i do not need.

Is the s2c member discount a percentage or a maximum amount?

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2023, 06:36:29 PM »

what compare site did you use, my renewal is same as yours.

when i tried to better it it got worse for less cover

mine is with peter james, of there choosing fully comp unlimited miles, me to drive only, not covered on other cars

I asked if thatched cat disklok reduced they said no

I asked if series 2 club was on their approved list they said no

full ncb and clean licence

Money supermarket was the comparison site. They have a classic section. Lancaster called me and after an age on the 'phone taking details asked how much my renewal was with Hagerty.
A pregnant pause followed, with an o'dear we can't match that. So I guess it may be not 'that' bad, but I will continue looking before I call Hagerty so I have info' to hand.
Last year I tried Pete Best but they would not cover when I said it had seven seats.  ???
Can't recall the insurer/broker now but one year I took out what I thought was the best cover only to notice on reading the terms that it would not be covered if 'stolen during the hours of darkness if not in a locked garage'. I called them up and explained, again, that it was kept on driveway. 'Yes that's ok' was the response. I wasn't taking the chance and cancelled.  :thud

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2023, 08:07:45 PM »

I was led to understand that classic car insurance does not qualify for NCB discount.

As others have said, you may come to regret getting cheap insurance. It is after all, the only annual expense (other than a voluntary MOT of course).
Tim

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2023, 10:06:43 PM »

I was led to understand that classic car insurance does not qualify for NCB discount.

That`s also been my experience when taking out Classic policies
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2023, 10:32:42 PM »

Since Classic Car Insurance was introduced decades ago there's never been any no claims bonus. My MG has been insured with Peter Best sincec1987 and never any NCB.
My Land Rover is with them too and I'm staying with them as faffing around to maybe save a few quid is too much aggro now.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2023, 10:51:38 PM »

Yea strange that, one question was date of NCB on second car  ???
Worth keeping note of years insured on a classic basis. Some years back I had an SD1 Vitesse on a Classic policy with FJ.
Wife had car and I was working as Driving Instructor then a Courier so no NCB in my name for a few years.
When coming to re-insure, they would not accept 'commercial' NCB, but luckily FJ supplied a letter to say I had been with them and was claim free since inception.
Which reminds me, I may give FJ a call.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 18 queries.