S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEED TO KNOW? ... future charging battery cars, on TV tonight.  (Read 1566 times)

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
Re: NEED TO KNOW? ... future charging battery cars, on TV tonight.
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2023, 07:29:48 PM »

My series 3 is an ambulance - the RAF had a plug in system that was in the rear of the vehicle with no lugs so you could drive off with it on charge and it would disconnect with no damage. Only a 50 year old idea or so (if it worked…… the same vehicle has a crash bar on the front for driving through gates as the RAF don’t stop to open them so if not bothered about inconvenience to chippys then why to sparkys?)

On the full battery point - had a plug in hybrid once upon a time - worst of all 3 worlds to be honest - the only engine braking alternative is recharging the batteries so zero when fully charged. First time in snow I drove it down the one in four hill we have between us and the main roads and gritters I was terrified. It stayed at home in snow after that to the end of the lease, what is a doddle  in a Land Rover, Range Rover or even a Suzuki vitara is a scary rollercoaster in an electric vehicle with full batteries.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: NEED TO KNOW? ... future charging battery cars, on TV tonight.
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2023, 08:28:59 PM »

the same vehicle has a crash bar on the front for driving through gates as the RAF don’t stop to open them so if not bothered about inconvenience to chippys then why to sparkys?)

Hi,

In 1961, I had taken a swimming party down to a "pond" at Khan Creek, about  5 miles from Dubai. The "pond" as filled by seawater waves breaking over the beach. We were not allowed to enter the sea itself. On of the boys had been paddling in the sea, and had been stung/bitten by something nasty.

I drove through a football match outside the camp perimeter, off the clock. Fists were shaken, but nobody ever asked why.

I was looking forward to driving through the camp gates, but unfortunately, they were open. I dumped my casualty at sick bay, parked the truck (a Bedford RL), an went for tiffin.

About a week later a Trucial Omen Scout (Arab army, with British officers) driver did drive through the gates. Instead of shattering, like they do in films, he drove down the camp road with the gates hung over the front of his truck, and miles of barbed wire, both sides, dragging behind him. Happy days.

About three years after, I managed to drive a 1951 Austin A40 estate through some level crossing gates (a longer story). The man in the signal box shouted down, telling us not to worry, he had stopped the express. The Transport Police gave me a NIP, but later withdrew it. And then they sent me a bill for £10, for repairing the gate, which I ignored. I didn't bother pursuing the matter of my one broken headlamp.

The red lamp on the gate was stone cold ... no paraffin.

PS. I had to ask ALEXA how to spell paraffin.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 18 queries.