S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Galvanised Chassis  (Read 5293 times)

Beermoth

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5806
  • .:
Galvanised Chassis
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:18:23 AM »

Hi everyone,
Apologies for not being a very active member at the moment I’am not very good with or really a user of social media or the like. I’am canvassing opinion on this occasion I hopefully take receipt of a shiny new galvanised chassis next Tuesday the question is to paint or not to paint would love to here feed back. Hope I’am posting in the right section..

Rob_W

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3218
  • .:
Re: Galvanised Chassis
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »

Paint: galv is a protective coating so give it all the help you can.  They used some sort of epoxy on mine which (in theory) will self heal when I scrape it on things.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »

Everyone now seems to have a thing about painting a galv chassis,  galvanising if decently done was always a stand alone exterior protective finish, and i really can't see the point, I certainly wouldn't paint a galv chassis ( in the unlikely event I ever had one.!) 
I know..I know..there's this school of thought that "if you don't paint it, it will be immediately stolen". ..again, tbh I don't really buy this argument....but hey, you pays yer money and takes yer choice...

Peaceand

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 10:42:43 AM »

I'd opt for painting - for both another layer of protection and also the aesthetics.

I did a SWB recently - probably takes about a week if you can do a stage a day and leave it to dry overnight.

* Degreaser - splash it all over, wash it off.
* Etch primer - again splash it all over, with goggles on, and wash it off
* Layer of primer - I used red oxide but more sophisticated paints are available.
* Turn over - do it again
* Layer of chassis black - again more sophisticated paints are available.
* Turn over - do it again

Also depends how old you are, and how long you want to keep the vehicle I suppose - as mentioned below galv alone will probably last a good long time. 20 years maybe on salted roads? Paint may prolong that a bit.

It's a lot easier to paint while the chassis is bare than later if you change your mind.

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »

I personally like the look of a galv chassis but i still painted mine, the reason being galv is a sacrificial coating and in time will start to break down so iv given mine some extra protection, well thats what i told myself after paying all i did on paint. 

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 12:40:34 PM »

I'd paint it, because it looks better (admittedly that's subjective) and because the corrosion protection will last longer (https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322447832_Duplex_Zinc_Coatings_for_Corrosion_Protection_of_Steel_Structures)
pictures, and words

1959 2052 lwb Fred

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »

I haven't tried this but wondered if black waxoil would have the desired effect. Fairly easy to apply was part of my thoughts.??

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 01:18:56 PM »

I haven't tried this but wondered if black waxoil would have the desired effect. Fairly easy to apply was part of my thoughts.??

I really wouldn't use waxoyl as a finish,  It won't last long and won't ever look good!

IF you want to use it inside the box sections it has some merit, but again there are better products to use now days.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:45:30 PM »

Comes down to this in my view...

You've just spent the best part of £2000 on a new chassis.
A £100 or so spent on painting your investment won't do any harm and will help protect the galvy finish in the long run.

It also hides the obvious fact that you have a nice galvy chassis under your pride & joy.

:RHD
Who's a then ?

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 02:10:06 PM »

Did mine with a Dinitrol system, ML in the cavity's, then a lite coat of the exterior, then finished with 4941 black wax finish, east to apply and also if damaged easy to repair.

Rob

lynall

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 03:59:55 PM »

Galv is good, but I dont think modern galv is as good as galv of old and if you hang around enough land rover forums theres a few stories of galv chassis going rusty after a few years, it is after all a pretty harsh enviroment for an everyday car, for a toy maybe not such a worry?

lynall

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »

Did mine with a Dinitrol system, ML in the cavity's, then a lite coat of the exterior, then finished with 4941 black wax finish, east to apply and also if damaged easy to repair.

Rob

I found West was better :neener

Scottie

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 6658
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 04:43:10 PM »

As said, paint it. Galv is not what it used to be years ago, still good, but no harm in more protection.

There are much better products than Waxoil available these days too.

I will be ordering a chassis from Richards soon, and I am very tempted, 99.9%,  to order one that has not been galvanised.  I painted one that had years ago, and the finish was OK, but have done another one (not Land Rover chassis) with tinted epoxy, then Max Meyer spray filler then 2 pack black, and the finish was much, much better, and it seems to last a lot better too.

Beermoth

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5806
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 05:04:36 PM »

Thanks for the heads up everyone I was leaning towards painting have a good rust inhibitor which I bought as a kit with Black gloss glass reinforced paint ( supposed to be used on oil rigs ) gives a lovely finish so I’ll give a coat of those. Also noted the degreaser and etched primer.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 05:09:07 PM »

Hi,

Hullo, where did my mail (mention of Bill Boddy) of a few minutes ago go?

While I sulk, do a search for "EARTHING CAR BODY TO PREVENT CORROSION".

Too many results to list here.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.