S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Ineos Grenadier  (Read 4413 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Ineos Grenadier
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2023, 01:08:23 PM »

The steering and handling may take a bit of getting used to, but for anybody who drives an old Defender or a Series, it should be of no concern!
It is a big beast - just as any Land Cruiser, Defender or anything like that. Anybody tried to park a Y61 Patrol in a Tesco parking space? They were never intended to be shopping trolleys, so if people want to use them as shopping trolleys or Chelsea tractors, in my view more fool them. For me, its an expedition workhorse, built to do a job and although not perfect, I reckon its a damn good effort for a first attempt. There is plenty of improvement in the pipeline.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »

. Anybody tried to park a Y61 Patrol in a Tesco parking space? They were never intended to be shopping trolleys, so if people want to use them as shopping trolleys or Chelsea tractors, in my view more fool them.

If my experience at Sainsburys this morning with my pre-pro One Ten is anything to go by, maybe using the Gren as a shopping trolley might not be a problem.

Can't think why they avoid parking near an old Land Rover.....😂
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2023, 04:48:33 PM »

I always keep my sidesteps down. They're a good deterrent against careless door openers.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2023, 06:30:06 PM »

…….I like cars that have a character or ones that others find challenging but that are fundamentally robust and I believe this is robust. I wouldn’t worry if it had slow steering ….I would be driving accordingly, I certainly wouldn’t be accelerating hard out of a tight turn as I saw one car testing youtuber recently do. I positively enjoy the need to think about engaging diffs etc rather than having it all done for me.

I love the detailing, the roof switches for future mods and the 'polite' horn for cyclists. Any car that has 6 wheel studs each end an axle gets my vote. Anyway, I hope to have a proper look in the coming weeks when a friend of mine is being asked to fit one of his Roof Tents to one.

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2023, 10:36:16 AM »

The steering and handling may take a bit of getting used to, but for anybody who drives an old Defender or a Series, it should be of no concern!
It is a big beast - just as any Land Cruiser, Defender or anything like that. Anybody tried to park a Y61 Patrol in a Tesco parking space? They were never intended to be shopping trolleys, so if people want to use them as shopping trolleys or Chelsea tractors, in my view more fool them. For me, its an expedition workhorse, built to do a job and although not perfect, I reckon its a damn good effort for a first attempt. There is plenty of improvement in the pipeline.
Thanks and agree with your last comment. I’m sure there will be plenty of people who will buy them who like to think they are crossing the Okavanko Delta but are actually on the M25, nothing wrong with that however it might be interesting to see how many are back up for sale within a year after finding them too big to use for city driving.

• Master of the oils
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2023, 01:33:08 PM »

If my experience at Sainsburys this morning with my pre-pro One Ten is anything to go by, maybe using the Gren as a shopping trolley might not be a problem.

Can't think why they avoid parking near an old Land Rover.....😂

exile I saw that picture and found myself saying like the bloke off 'little Britain' I want that one!

Exile

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2023, 10:24:05 PM »

exile I saw that picture and found myself saying like the bloke off 'little Britain' I want that one!

Are you sure 2286?

A One Ten with a 2.25 (2.3) engine, all black vynil interior, black rubber mats instead of carpet, and no power steering?

Wouldn't you prefer the "County" version with its cloth "Defender-style" seating, V8 engine, PAS, trendy side decals and one of the "new for 1983" exciting colours, instead of boring old "Series" Limestone?

Almost no-one wanted one like this in 1983, which is why you will be pushed to find another like it.

However, if you are mad enough.......  :stars

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2023, 07:07:02 AM »

Are you sure 2286?

A One Ten with a 2.25 (2.3) engine, all black vynil interior, black rubber mats instead of carpet, and no power steering?

My S1 109 has the same (5MB 2.25) engine, Vynide interior, rubber mats and no power steering, what’s not to like  :RHD

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2023, 08:27:32 AM »

I've watched a number of videos about the Grenadier now and I haven't yet found one that answers my main question. What does the "Toot" button, friendly horn actually sound like......

Craig.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2023, 10:26:54 AM »

My S1 109 has the same (5MB 2.25) engine, Vynide interior, rubber mats and no power steering, what’s not to like  :RHD

I agree John.

That's why I like my early One Ten.

It is the most Series-like coiler of them all - especially with its sliding windows and selectable 2/4 wheel drive.

(It's a bit slimmer than the Grenadier as well..... ;))

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2023, 03:14:30 PM »

I've watched a number of videos about the Grenadier now and I haven't yet found one that answers my main question. What does the "Toot" button, friendly horn actually sound like......

Craig.

I'll have to record one for you! You have the option of three toots, 2 toots or one toot when you tap the button. Its just a low volume horn to tell walkers, cyclists and so on that you are there without giving them both barrels of a main vehicle horn. Remember that INEOS also own a small cycling team...

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2023, 07:10:47 PM »

• Master of the oils
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2023, 11:18:06 AM »

Are you sure 2286?

Wouldn't you prefer the "County" version with its cloth "Defender-style" seating, V8 engine, PAS, trendy side decals and one of the "new for 1983" exciting colours, instead of boring old "Series" Limestone?

Almost no-one wanted one like this in 1983, which is why you will be pushed to find another like it.

However, if you are mad enough.......  :stars

Exile without sounding like a regressive cumudgenly luddite.  The simpler the better.

I do like heavy oil over petrol.  I have actively requested manual steering over power in the past.

Having stood next to umpteen 'modern' vehicles that have been consigned to the bin as they cannot be diagnosed or fixed economically or at all.

Yesterday I was standing next to a 2001 honda pan european 33k miles from new, police owned and maintained.

In daily use.

The rear brake caliper was seized on so hard that it had cracked the disc with the heat.

The three piston were eventually worked free, then it lost all electrical power completely.

Battery was fine, just nothing worked.  No immobiliser but that was how it appeared.

VW passat with electric hanbrake piggy backed onto mechanical caliper, they were £500 a piece 5 years ago.

DW  I have broken my duck, and seen a gren in the flesh.

It was DBG with a white roof. ST9 postcode, not sure if it was private owner or works.

Looked better in the flesh.  So there is faint praise.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2023, 05:02:12 AM »

Hi 2286,

I recently commented here about my "tidy" Land Rover Freelander that failed its MOT due to the tail-gate locking mechanism ... my memory banks are reluctant to engage, but no doubt its in my posting history. My LR expert offered me £25, later raised to £50. I eventually accepted £100 from a "yard and cabin" dealer, who advertises that he buys any car.

The locking system involves lowering the tail gate window, and costs several hundred pounds. Perhaps I should have removed the lock, and fitted a pair of "Mr Bean" coal house door bolts and one padlock? But that would have left the tail gate window wide open.

An unrelated lesson learned ... do not put £100+ worth of fuel in the tank immediately prior to presenting a car for an MOT.

Marky Harvey

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5710
  • .:
« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »

Sadly I’ve crossed the Grenadier off my wish list for the simple reason that the rear seat don’t fold down flat with the floor. A massive design oversight in my humble opinion. I’m sure they could have found other space to fit the batteries etc in such a big vehicle, perhaps under the rear floor like Volvo.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 19 queries.