S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brazing  (Read 574 times)

Ken

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8138
  • .:
Brazing
« on: June 13, 2023, 05:22:58 PM »

I was watching the tv programme ‘ made in britain’ last night and they featured Brompton folding bikes. When it came to brazing the tubes at the bottom bracket they did something I’ve never seen before.
I was trained to braze by ensuring a good fit between the components, heating them and allowing just enough  braze to run round the joint line.
They applied braze as you would with gas welding and steel wire building up a broad line of brass that bridged across the joint, I’d say it was about a quarter inch wide.
They obviously know what they’re doing but I’ve never seen this approach has anyone else ?

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7756
  • .:
Re: Brazing
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2023, 07:07:08 PM »

I am expecting to be shot down here, but that sounds like "bronze welding" .  See the Sifbronze literature to see what they say. I understand it has been used to join tubular structures on car sub frames etc.

Ian F
1961 SWB Basic petrol 2.25

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 07:12:26 PM »

That was my thought when I read it. I did Sifbronze welding at School 60 yrs ago.

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 07:32:21 PM »

I think I recall that Jaguar used this method on sub frames for E types and their predecessors- perhaps only initially?

Ian F

• Master of the oils
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 12:12:42 PM »

On the auto braze they had invented they placed in a circlip style lump of rod into the joint prior to heat (hinge joint).

On the the other joint they did use filler rod as per gas welding.  I noted they pulled the torch away and kept the filler rod feed continuous not vice versa?

Most top end steel tube bikes now use tig not flame due to it accuracy.

I agree brompton weld width did seem excessive.  Also noted the lack or minimal use of flux, to etch and aid run, unless its in the rods.

Billy

• Chassis welder
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2023, 12:06:37 AM »

Hello Ken,

An interesting topic that caused a lot of commotion in the late 70's/early 80's when brazing was banned on structural repairs, particularly on over lay panels such as sills and suspension strut top plates by the MOT. Brazing is considered to be an "adhesion weld". I managed a workshop at that time and we could not use oxy-acetylene welding sets due to fire regs. MIG and TIG were not around generally and arc welding was used for heavy work like chassis only. Some clown came up with the idea that you could strike an arc using two carbon rods with an arc welding unit and"weld" using special fluxed brazing spelter and called it carbon arc welding. ???

Cheers, Bill

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2023, 08:15:54 AM »

Thanks for that Bill. I would be interested to hear what you thought about Sifbronze and "bronze welding"?
I used it on TR bodywork in the 1970's and always believed it to be well up to the job. It didn't seem brittle like a lot of arc welding results, but you are right of course, it wasn't true welding.
I use a MIG welder now but still get out the Sifbronze occasionally for some jobs (non-professional work, only on my own vehicles and occasionally for friends etc.)

Ian F

Billy

• Chassis welder
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 12:31:51 AM »

Hello Ken,

Fifty odd years later and memory might have (has) faded slightly. I think I recall that Sif bronze became a generic term for brazing because "Sif" was a predominant supplier of brazing flux and actually produced pre-fluxed/coated brazing rods. Seemed a good idea for production work because it saved time and continuity by not stopping to dip the hot rod into the pot of flux. Problems I recall were: damp caused the flux to become soggy and fall off, oil contamination stopped the flux from working and if dropped,the coating fell off anyway. Brazing to me was when one could heat up two surfaces,coat with braze and clamp together or treat like soldering with tight tolerances. Bronze welding could "puddle" a larger gap. Havn't held a Saphire No 2 for years.

Cheers, Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 18 queries.