S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Wildlife  (Read 6348 times)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
Re: OT - Wildlife
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2021, 10:57:26 AM »

Hi

I responded to a cry for help on the DIFFLOCK forum. Bloke with an S2 diesel wondering why it wouldn't do more than 45mph. We got chatting as you do... he told me he flew a 5ft wingspan model Spitfire, use to follow the adventures of Fred Basset, and went into the hills looking for rare breeds.

I asked him what rare beasties he went looking for?

"Tigers!"

"Ah!  Er, where are you"?

"Mumbai!"

I knew he was a vegetarian, so I asked if he was Hindu .... ?

Close, but he was actually a JAIN. (I done a Google   Wow!) Actually, he's a very naughty boy. I asked if BLONDE jokes had spread to India. He replied that they didn't have blondes in India, but a girl in their gang had dyed her hair blonde ... but when they went swimming it was obvious that she wasn't  blonde. ???

One day, phone rang, Barbara answered ... screamed it was Ritul calling. He was driving up the M1 (?) heading for Liverpool. Seemed very impressed with the traffic. His family make gears, and he'd come to buy a gear cutting machine.

We corresponded for a spell, but that faded away at the same rate as my PC. I must try to make contact again.

Last I heard, he was driving a 110, and his father had told him it was time he got married.

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 11:10:28 AM »

BW,  You can hear it at 1:06 on this video;  https://youtu.be/8tBK55p3sTk

Sounds like an owl.
Just found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N4C4U70Ajc

(except your will probably be the Western one)
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2021, 12:01:43 PM »

Me? I hate "wildlife"!

Dozens of rabbits (that "breed like humans") dig holes in my lawn.

Families of badgers undermine the banks of my watercourse and totally dam it. Then they plough up huge areas of my lawn, just like pigs.  >:D

Foxes bark/shriek outside my bedroom window at night.

The moles.... Well you know what moles do!

Pigeons make a terrible racket on my roof at 5am on a summers morning. And then defecate on every surface they can find.

The muntjac deer (another unwanted import) eat off eveything in my garden they can reach.

Then the fallow deer come in and strip everything else - destroying countless trees in the process!

Wildlife is best left to the soppy programmes on the TV where animals are given cutesie names and adoring voiceovers. :sleep

But trees.

Trees are a different matter.

And they hate wildlife too!  :-X
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2021, 05:48:38 PM »

Sounds like an owl.
Just found it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N4C4U70Ajc

(except your will probably be the Western one)

Worf,   It does sound like that and we do have owls, I thought they just did whoooo,......whoooo.....

BettyWhite

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7452
  • .:
  • Only fools think that they are wise
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2021, 07:03:54 PM »

Well done Worf!

Yep sounds like your owl to me.

The whooooo whoooo!!! sound is a series land rover owner managing to start their vehicle without shedding tears!

Good luck
BW
I've given so many people a piece of my mind over the years that I haven't got much left and my give a damn was busted years ago!

chipbury

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4767
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2021, 07:44:21 PM »

Can anyone recommend a good (and reasonably priced) trail cam that is easy to use?

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2021, 08:33:12 PM »

Mine is a £60 job, a Victure HC200. Fairly simple to use and fairly decent results.  I suspect there are more expensive ones with more sensitivity, faster reactions but it works for me. The video clips are too big to post...

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

George1990

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6900
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2021, 09:54:28 PM »

Me? I hate "wildlife"!

Dozens of rabbits (that "breed like humans") dig holes in my lawn.

Families of badgers undermine the banks of my watercourse and totally dam it. Then they plough up huge areas of my lawn, just like pigs.  >:D

Foxes bark/shriek outside my bedroom window at night.

The moles.... Well you know what moles do!

Pigeons make a terrible racket on my roof at 5am on a summers morning. And then defecate on every surface they can find.

The muntjac deer (another unwanted import) eat off eveything in my garden they can reach.

Then the fallow deer come in and strip everything else - destroying countless trees in the process!

Wildlife is best left to the soppy programmes on the TV where animals are given cutesie names and adoring voiceovers. :sleep

But trees.

Trees are a different matter.

And they hate wildlife too!  :-X

Sounds like you need to buy some guns! Best type of shopping alongside land rovers and chainsaws.
1968 RAF 2a 88 bitsa
1980 6 pot S3 109

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 09:55:45 PM »

I've have a few brands, Moultrie, Browning and Muddy, The Muddy's take good pic, but are 'orrible to program and are the least expensive at $33USD. Also if locked to whatever they need to be unlocked everytime you check the SD card, PIA when you do it everyday.
    The Moultrie's were my first cams at around $125USD and easy enough to program and take good pics and videos, with a .7sec trigger speed they can miss a running animal going through the frame, but sometimes there are no pics on them in 24hr. Looking on the web I'm not the only one and the company likes to cite the wrong batteries or a too large SD card for the issue. WTF?
  My Browning are dead simple to program, have the fastest trigger speed, .3sec, and do great images and cost the most at $150USD. I have one at the mailbox and caught a mail thief last year, it takes 10 sec videos and gets between 80 and 125 a day the 8 alkaline batteries last around a month.

Trail cams like bicycles, you get what you pay for. I have found Trailcampros.com to be a good website for information and sales. I'm not affiliated.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2021, 07:21:12 AM »

Hi,

A few weeks ago, I saw a baby hedgehog in the road outside my house. I went to say hullo, but he didn't want to stop and chat .. disappeared into a neighbours garden.

A few hours later, I found him in my garden ... dead ... with his face torn off. Cat? Dog? Hawk? I can't remember when, if ever, I saw a cat in this neighbourhood, and never a dog that wasn't on a leash.

The women in my life keep telling me to cut a hedgehog port in my forthcoming fence, but I'm not sure how Wilkie will react, or more to the point, will he damage a hedgehog?

whitehillbilly64

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6702
  • .:
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2021, 09:46:09 AM »

Reminds me when Dad painted white dots on The Hedge Hogs he fed, to tell them apart.
It stopped when her saw No 3 Squashed by car.
Being a wildlife Carer here in Aus, Rare, cute endangered small mammals ID'ed by members of the public end up being Rats.
One Lady had a Cute little Sugar Glider in her bra to keep warm. Couldn't get it out quick enough when it real identity was reveled.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_glider

whitehillbilly

g6anz

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 1690
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2021, 10:50:17 AM »

I dislike badgers. They are destructive pests that will ruin a garden overnight. There used to be a set under my neighbours shed and every night both our gardens were wrecked, Eventually when the set was empty it was filled in and they haven't been back. Badgers are fine in the wild but they are not town and city creatures, it just that they have good PR people.

chipbury

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4767
  • .:
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2021, 01:18:56 PM »

Thanks for the tips - i'll get a camera ordered to see what chaos is occuring in the garden at night!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2021, 04:26:08 PM »

Hi,

There was (is?) a small zoo near Neath (south Wales).

Somebody threw a sandwich crust into the badger pit. The Macaw got the sandwich. The badger got the macaw.

I regard badgers as a sort of small bear.

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2021, 04:58:14 PM »

Hi,

There was (is?) a small zoo near Neath (south Wales).

Somebody threw a sandwich crust into the badger pit. The Macaw got the sandwich. The badger got the macaw.

I regard badgers as a sort of small bear.

Are you thinking of Penscynor Wildlife Park 602 if so long gone, oh the badger is more related to the weasel. :cheers
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 19 queries.