S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finished.  (Read 568 times)

Rory

• Hub seal tester
Finished.
« on: August 12, 2022, 04:41:53 PM »

After  taking my NATO hitch off whilst getting a new rear crossmember fitted and finally getting round to srripping the paint off it it’s now finished and fitted. Not perfect by any means as I didn’t strip it down to its component parts as I feared I wouldn’t be able to get some bits back together. There is still some red paint on some inside edges but it’s close enough for rock and roll.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
Re: Finished.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 05:25:54 PM »

It looks very nice, and I appreciate it isn't a 5 minute job to get it like that, so please don't read what follows as wholly negative; I do realise some of my comments might owe more to my paranoia than anything else.

If you haven't painted it, how are you going to stop it going rusty?
For those parts that pivot, what grease are you going to use that will still be effective after 12 months outside?
I think those nappy pin springs are expensive, how do you propose to stop someone taking them as 'souvenirs'?

Regards.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 05:37:14 PM »

Good job - you don't want to over restore it  :first

As to rust protection - depends how often it gets used, when a wipe over with a diesely rag will do.
For more long term protection then a wipe over with Owatrol Oil which Davidss himself put me on to - I'm now a big fan of the oil  :first

As to theft.
As I always post on the forum - If they want it they will take it  :shakeinghead

To stop casual thieves and unscrupulous owners (at shows and events) from helping themselves in seconds, then a short length of bath plug type chain should slow them down ???

:RHD
Who's a then ?

Rory

• Hub seal tester
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »

They tend not to rust that bad but, as already said, a light oiling now ( totally against REME advise) and then should see it weather in nicely. Pins have been greased but more importantly the pin holes have been cleaned and nearly all the paint inside them removed.

It’s only used it now for pulling hedges out using SWR.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.