S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Toy land rover rolling chassis  (Read 559 times)

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
Toy land rover rolling chassis
« on: January 29, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »

I made a video of a test "drive" after a winter overhaul of our toy land rover (T.J. Utting's Landrova). Though it's a toy, it really does require maintenance: clutch tuneup, spark plug, exhaust leaks, wheel bearings, carb clean, etc.

Actually it was more of a test surf, as I was unwisely standing on the chassis, lacking a seat, and nearly got thrown off and eaten by the gearbox.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdfeQ3zYoW4

It shows how the gearbox works, with two chains (forward/reverse), selector dog wheel, and a drive belt.

I later added a tensioning roller to the drive belt that I made from a bicycle hub. It wraps the belt 180 degrees around the 2" front pulley, to try to stop it from slipping.

There's a sheet metal cover for the gearbox that also goes on, and of course the fiberglass Land Rover body (which you may see inside the garage, leaning on the wall?).

A few years ago, I replaced the old English lawn mower engine with an OHV Honda clone so it would run quieter, stink less, be more reliable, and for the aftermarket electric starter kit that was a straight swap in. True luxury!

-Jeremy

Davetheliontamer

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7777
  • .:
Re: Toy land rover rolling chassis
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2022, 07:01:35 PM »

Very cool, I used to make mini choppers in the 90s from old step through scooters, great fun, do you have any pics or videos with the bodywork fitted?

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
Re: Toy land rover rolling chassis
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2022, 08:17:26 AM »

Thanks, it's a project I've had for almost 10 years that I introduced in an article for BuiltTwoLast in late 2013, back when I was trying to find information about it, since it's an English toy from the 1970s.

It has a radio, horn, indicators and side lights from new.

I added some aesthetic and safety features, but don' thave a photo here of the working lights-in-the-grille that I put in.

Here it is at a Swiss Series meet in 2013:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBYGMfAzzlY

I built a trailer to tow it with my mountain bike, so we can use it at our decommissioned airfield. It's not easy at 100kg but it's legal, whereas towing the Landrova on the road wouldn't be!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltycu_X5eGI

My kids are intimidated by the noise and would rather have had an electric motor. They're almost too big for it, now!

-Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 23 queries.