S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sign of things to come ?  (Read 1165 times)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
Sign of things to come ?
« on: April 12, 2022, 11:49:15 AM »

A sensible compromise in the management of green lanes ???

This lane is local to me and I've not driven it for a few years for one one reason or another.
The lanes round Reepham can get very muddy when wet which is one reason why I've never published my Mid-Norfolk green lane routes.
I have to be careful as I tend to travel the lanes on my own.

Fox & Hounds Lane

(We have a couple of lanes in Thetford Forest closed in the winter and I think it happens in one or 2 other places.
And there's another lane I use that has signs up in the nesting season, which I avoid.)

It's good that the "powers that be" recognise that some (responsible) people like to drive these lanes).
Locked gates should keep most rowdies and fly tippers out.
Not much you can do for the law breakers other than proper enforcement and penalties.

I see there's a debate started on forcing councils (in England) to STOP charging for domestic DiY waste.
It seems that the penny has finally dropped and they realise the cost of clearing fly tipped waste costs more than allowing domestic waste into the tips/recycling centres.
Let's hope they get this "passed" soon.

:dustcart

Who's a then ?

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
Re: Sign of things to come ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2022, 12:05:09 PM »

I see there's a debate started on forcing councils (in England) to STOP charging for domestic DiY waste.
It seems that the penny has finally dropped and they realise the cost of clearing fly tipped waste costs more than allowing domestic waste into the tips/recycling centres.
Let's hope they get this "passed" soon.

:dustcart

It would be good if wales had the same rules, in Gwynedd I can take domestic DIY waste to the council "tip" but down the road in Conwy council area they charge, a friend was quoted £5 each to dispose of old internal house doors :shakeinghead
I wonder why they have a problem with fly tipers :thud

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »

The thing about charging for waste is, apparently, the Government passed a law/rule or whatever some years ago to stop councils charging for DIY waste for this very reason.
However, some councils decided that such as plasterboard, bricks, concrete rubble etc. wasn't DIY and so still charged for them.
As far as I understand this new proposal, it is to stop those councils from charging.

Our local council, WMDC, have never charged - you can even take trailer loads, up to 6'x4', though if you're in a commercial vehicle (sign written) or van, you need to apply for permits which allow 12 visits per year, free.

They will also accept tyres, up to 4 at a time, for free which I understand isn't the case in other parts of the country   :first
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 01:00:07 PM »

I have to 2nd that the recycling centres we have in Gwynedd are excellent :first they haven't stopped fly-tipping altogether, but it has been greatly reduced around here (could that be because I spread the rumour I'd like to see fly-tippers summerly executed though ???)

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2022, 01:08:52 PM »

They will also accept tyres, up to 4 at a time, for free which I understand isn't the case in other parts of the country   :first

Norfolk is vicious with their charging policy and they wonder why fly tipping is on the increase.

We have to pay for tyres.

We have to pay for fence panels.

Bizarrely - if you cut them up, it becomes wood which is free  :thud

A few minutes with the cordless circular saw is all that's needed - same for doors.

Domestic waste/recycling - It's a total shambles.
Some councils are good, others are bad.
Not always possible or feasible to drive to a good council - great if you live in the boundary or 2 or 3 councils.
There needs to be a nation-wide unifying waste/recycling policy.
This is one area where devolving powers to the local level doesn't work.

Any thoughts on the green lane closures ???

:dustcart-1

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2022, 04:33:53 PM »

Here in Herefordshire the waste is free for all domestic residents. Trailers and soft top Landys need a permit. You have to make an online appointment.  But they take everything.   Unfortunately this is not for trade waste.   They have to take it 15 miles, and then pay for  it.   They wonder why fly tipping is so common, and then who pays for clearing  it up. Makes no sense.   The Council blame the  contracted waste collectors, who want too much to allow trade waste.   What is needed is joined up thinking from grown-ups, no chance of that in Herefordshire Council.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2022, 04:51:31 PM »

Any thoughts on the green lane closures ?

They would benefit from an explanatory sign on the gate to say the intention is to discourage motorised vehicles only while the ground is soft.
A simple 'Road Closed' sign is a red rag, responsible drivers need something to support a decision to stop and turn away.
Without an explanatory sign the restriction is deliberately and clearly set up to fail, so the anti's can press for full closure.

Regards

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2022, 05:29:23 PM »

In Yorkshire it used to cost more to get rid of a sheet of plasterboard than it cost to buy it in the first place :stars
You had to pay them by credit card as they didnt trust their own staff with cash.

All free round here, including Transit van with high sided trailer that was in front of me. (trade waste??)
No fly tipping - problem solved.

However, bin men will only collect cardboard if it is cut into 200x160 cm pieces. Folded is not good enough apparently  ???
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

LN11AAB498A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7099
  • .:
  • 2A or not 2A that is the question Will Shakespeare
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2022, 06:02:34 PM »

A sensible compromise in the management of green lanes ???

I think it is a sensible compromise. The use of green lanes has and always will polarise opinion with opposing views becoming entrenched where no one is prepared to give an inch in case the other side take a yard.

Walkers, horse riders and motorised users must show consideration of the wishes of others and act responsibly and if that means not driving a lane in wet conditions, so be it. Maybe local councils should set up a committee of interested parties  :whistle

Taken from the article - "It might resolve the problem because most green laner`s are law-abiding, responsible and care for the environment". That must be true

But just like in all aspects of society, when it comes to human behaviour it is the irresponsible, the selfish, the uninsured and the mindless who ignore restrictions, they will simply open that gate and go charging about damaging the lane and the credibility of the rest of us.

But how do we stop them? Short of having the police hiding in the hedge at every restricted lane whereupon the vehicles are confiscated and then sold or crushed and the miscreant tided to the gate as a warning to others, I have no answer.   
Fred

Blessed are they who endure life with a silly name

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2022, 06:47:03 PM »

I think it is a sensible compromise. The use of green lanes has and always will polarise opinion with opposing views becoming entrenched where no one is prepared to give an inch in case the other side take a yard.

Walkers, horse riders and motorised users must show consideration of the wishes of others and act responsibly and if that means not driving a lane in wet conditions, so be it. Maybe local councils should set up a committee of interested parties  :whistle

Taken from the article - "It might resolve the problem because most green laner`s are law-abiding, responsible and care for the environment". That must be true

But just like in all aspects of society, when it comes to human behaviour it is the irresponsible, the selfish, the uninsured and the mindless who ignore restrictions, they will simply open that gate and go charging about damaging the lane and the credibility of the rest of us.

But how do we stop them? Short of having the police hiding in the hedge at every restricted lane whereupon the vehicles are confiscated and then sold or crushed and the miscreant tided to the gate as a warning to others, I have no answer.

Trail camera, last year we had our mail being stolen down at the row of them at the start of our street. I put up a trail cam and 2 weeks later caught him going through the boxes. He got 8 months in jail. The pilfering stopped so far. He should be getting out soon though, maybe he'll move somewhere else.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2022, 07:13:36 PM »

On the Fox & Hounds lane they have installed 3 new gates ... the work looks recent and I would expect a proper Highway Code road sign banning motorised vehicles from October to April to be installed - perhaps the new signs are on back order ???

:no_vehicles_allowed

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 19 queries.