S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT detective work!  (Read 822 times)

Old Bodger

• Chassis welder
  • .:
OT detective work!
« on: April 11, 2022, 05:30:23 PM »

We ‘did’ the Old Man of Coniston a couple of days ago. Spotted an old rusting chassis below the mine workings. I didn’t get any pictures myself but there are some if you Google ‘rusting chassis Old Man Coniston’ I wonder what can be told about the sad remains?

Klaxon

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 85
  • .:
Re: OT detective work!
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 07:45:01 PM »

Looks like a Bedford OY chassis ?????
early to mid 50,s???
Please feel free to prove me wrong.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2022, 10:22:58 AM »

Hi,

I find that photo interesting, but for the wrong reasons.

In the RAF, we had a fleet of three Bedford ambulances, that were reputed to be based on the Chevrolet 1-ton chassis. In my own experience, they were difficult to steer in a straight line for a prolonged period.

Two managed to turn over. The driver of the third declared it to be unservicable, with defective steering. Two Chief Technicians (three inverted stripes with a crown above) spent about a month going over every inch of it, chalk lines on the floor, etc, but were reluctant to declare it "fit for duty". Instead, they restricted it to "on camp" only. I can't remember if that meant 15 or 20mph maximum speed.

Some time later, I did a service on a Bedford 1-ton truck, and signed it off. My Corporal Tech, took it out onto the disused runway, gave it full-lock, and lots of welly, and signed it off too.

About a week later, a driver declared the truck to be unserviceable, as a grease nipple on a front swinging shackle had gouged a deep groove in the tyre's aide wall. Your's truly was lined up for a "technical fizzer".

I checked my work, jacked up the front end, swung the steeering to full lock.  The tyre was at least an inch away from the tyre wall.  I had done all that I was required to do.

However, I noticed that if the steering wheel was pulled hard, the section of chassis rail above the front spring (look at the photo we are discussing) was twisted by the side pull of the steering box. Memory says that the chassis rails on my 1-tonner were much flimsier than those in the photograph of the OY.

I reported my findings to "Chiefie", but I'm not aware that any action was taken.

To bring this on topic, on more than one occasion, I have noticed a Series steering box "flexing" when I have hauled on the steering wheel when stationary.

I'm guessing Rover had noticed it too, hence the STIFFENING BRACKET, Item 83 on Page 1I-06, Part No. 90577264 and 504276. For some reason, THREE of the four options are NO LONGER SERVICED.  There has to be a better way of achieving the same stiffness. I have considered bracing the left and right SUPPORT BRACKETS (Item 78 on Page 1I 05) against each other, but the engine will probably get in the way. Probably not impossible.

Calum

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6930
  • .:
    • C Barrow Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2022, 01:20:09 PM »

Passed it many times! Definitely a bedford engine with that big side plate - 28hp I believe so quite possibly an O series or an MW or similar?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.