S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: O/T What 3 Words  (Read 3830 times)

Marky Harvey

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5710
  • .:
Re: O/T What 3 Words
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2022, 12:38:56 PM »

Any form of navigation that prevents a row with the wife is great!! :-*

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2022, 01:58:40 PM »

In suspect the problem these days is that many people dont have a clue what a grid reference is nevermind an 8 figure one.  If the cant get an instant answer from their phone they are stuck.

Me, I like maps, I can look at them all day, some of my favourites are ones of the lakes and Scotland that belonged to my great uncle and were printed around 1900.  They dont have contour lines, they have hachure shading which makes them look 3D, the hills really leap out of the paper.

Peter

I absolutely LOVE old maps!  I have several battlefield and pilgrimage map sets from the 1920s.  For more modern maps I like USGS topographic maps, but for ease of use the gazetteer versions are great.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2022, 02:21:06 PM »

I absolutely LOVE old maps!  I have several battlefield and pilgrimage map sets from the 1920s.  For more modern maps I like USGS topographic maps, but for ease of use the gazetteer versions are great.

you may enjoy this website, showing the UK though, but others might find it interesting too. see how many railways and brick yards have vanished and how large towns have grown

just zoom in and move around, others in the UK can see what used to belong, before their house was built even

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=7&lat=52.74908&lon=-0.50339&layers=168&right=BingHyb

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2022, 10:32:17 PM »

Gol- dang- poop  means I'm in my drive working on my 109.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2022, 02:07:45 AM »

you may enjoy this website, showing the UK though, but others might find it interesting too. see how many railways and brick yards have vanished and how large towns have grown

just zoom in and move around, others in the UK can see what used to belong, before their house was built even

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=7&lat=52.74908&lon=-0.50339&layers=168&right=BingHyb

Nice...  thanks for sharing.   :tiphat

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2022, 09:02:32 AM »

Those of a more childish mind (like me) can always use four king maps. Does the same thing as W3W but using four swear words for each 3m square instead- some are quite imaginative.

Only covers UK so far and I doubt you can give them to Royal Mail to get a parcel delivered.

Probably better you don’t post your results here either.

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2022, 09:10:57 AM »

:o
Four king maps, that is brilliant...  :-X :-X

Craig.

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2022, 09:44:03 AM »

:-X :-X

...Four King maps appeals to my childish sense of humour  ;)

Scotty38

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 5319
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2022, 01:07:44 PM »

Thanks, can spend some time checking out known places on this site....
Wittsend's Little Helper....

gatekrash

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1943
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2022, 11:12:04 AM »

I'll put a view on this from the Emergency Services side. We use this in the Coastguard as another means of identifying a location. When we receive a call out, we get a set of details provided to us by the ops room. Regardless of what the caller has said, the ops room will always, 100% of the time give us a 6 figure grid ref to RV at. All of us have an OS mapping tool provided anyway, so finding location by that is easy enough, and we all know how to read a map.

If the caller has provided a W3W then we will also be sent that. However at the ops room end they will also have converted that into a 6 figure grid as well.

We'll also usually get a descriptive location - eg "RV with police at the doughnut shop on the pier....".

What we find is that there is a definite age split. We only really tend to get sent a W3W location if we're called to a younger person - generally the "more mature" people don't use it. This also goes for the age split in the team - the younger team members will happily navigate to the location using W3W, whereas, being in the older category (!) I default 100% of the time to OS maps, as it's what I'm used to using walking across Dartmoor.

Regardless, the more info we get, the better chance we'll arrive at the right place !

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.