S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smith Dual Oil/Temp Gauge  (Read 695 times)

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Smith Dual Oil/Temp Gauge
« on: May 26, 2022, 11:28:43 PM »

Hello Everyone!

I'm doing some research, out of curiosity, in regard to the Smith dual oil/temp gauge, mainly years and variations.  This all started because an acquaintance here in the US asked me how mine was wired up.  We then started comparing ours as well as a few others.

Mine is a '63 that came with a dual gauge, but it was missing when I got it, all that remained was the light bulb bracket.  His is a '64 and the dual gauge was present when he bought it.  I have no idea as to the provenance of mine; the assumption in re his is that it is original to the vehicle.

However...

Let's start with the light bulb bracket.

Mine has an external bracket as mentioned, his has an interior mounted light with a tube on the backside.  I've attached a pic of mine, followed by his.

While researching the gauge in order to restore it as well as to figure out how to mount the light bracket, all I found online were those with the same configuration as mine.  The only versions I've seen with the bulb configuration like his have been new ones and reproductions.  I haven't found any old ones with that configuration - but that doesn't mean anything, especially considering his.

Does anyone know when Smiths and LR switched from °F to °C?  Mine has the °C and his has the °F.  It was suggested that mine came from Canada, which is possible, but the seller was from here in the US.  Also, Canada switched from Fahrenheit to Celsius on April 1, 1975; Great Britain switched on 15th October 1962.

Something that is rather interesting, at least to me, is that every sample of the gauges I've seen with the light bracket like mine also has the °C printed on the face.  His, with the internal light, has the °F printed on the face. 

Do any of you out there know how to tell what year they were made?  I have found nothing on mine indicating a date it was made, nor has he.  He did find a spare gauge in his basement - same configuration as mine - that has "GD1500/62" printed on the face.  We were hoping that the "62" indicated "1962" but that is now doubtful.  The Nisonger website shows a GD1301/19 and I doubt the '19' means 1919.  Also, he has suggest that the "GD" indicates "Gauge Double".  Any clue as to what these numbers mean?  I have attached pics of it as well. Following is the link to that webpage.

https://www.nisonger.com/Land%20Rover%20Combo%20Gauge.htm

Of interest - all of the gauges he and I have been finding online, with the exception of the basement one, have "Land Rover" printed in the center, the one on the Nisonger site shows it printed at the top.

First two pics are mine, post restoration.
Third pic is the one from his basement.
Forth pic is his with the internal light.
Fifth pic is the face on mine.
Sixth is the one from the basement with the numbers.
Seventh is his.

Hopefully some of you out there will have some info or might know of a site that does.  I have contacted Smiths about this as well.

Cheers!   :tiphat
Larry
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
Re: Smith Dual Oil/Temp Gauge
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 12:42:15 AM »

Hi Correus

I am just guessing here (I don't really know) my 62 dual gauge has Celsius marked on it,  it was ordered for eventual delivery to Canada with left hand drive but delivered to Africa) and an external bracket mounted bulb, I always though that the external bracket ones were used in case there was another gauge mounted beside it to do 2 gauges at once, but just guessing.

Victor
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2022, 12:53:00 AM »

Hi Correus

I am just guessing here (I don't really know) my 62 dual gauge has Celsius marked on it,  it was ordered for eventual delivery to Canada with left hand drive but delivered to Africa) and an external bracket mounted bulb, I always though that the external bracket ones were used in case there was another gauge mounted beside it to do 2 gauges at once, but just guessing.

Victor

Interesting...  I'm beginning to wonder if printing the °C was preemptive.  You have an interesting, and valid point there in re the external bracket... Something else to muddy the waters.

twomokes

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 13
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 01:49:39 PM »

Larry

Out of a curiousity I had a look at one of my optional equipment catalogue from February 1967 this morning and the dual gauge is listed at that point as a new part not previously used for normal control L/Rs only, that is with a bonnet (hood over there) whereas the FCs only have individual gauges listed.
Res tam malae sunt quam putas, et inimici re vera te persequuntur

"quotEducatio est omnium efficacissima forma rebellionis"quot

Member No13

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 03:24:48 PM »

Larry

Out of a curiousity I had a look at one of my optional equipment catalogue from February 1967 this morning and the dual gauge is listed at that point as a new part not previously used for normal control L/Rs only, that is with a bonnet (hood over there) whereas the FCs only have individual gauges listed.

H'mmm....

Found it in the optional equipment section within the 1963 shop manual I have.  It is listed as "all models" and "2 1/4 litre Petrol and Diesel models". It shows the setup I have on the backside, but they don't show the front.

However - the dual gauge was listed as standard equipment for the States in 1963.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 18 queries.