S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More money than sense?  (Read 9057 times)

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
More money than sense?
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:22:00 PM »

It happens on regularly on most "motor" forums (fora?) . Someone posts for the first time having just spent a lot of money buying a vehicle that they think is "rare", only to be told that at best, they have a "bitsa". They then disappear back into the ether, never to be heard of again (possibly selling it on quickly to some other simple soul?, or trying to sue whoever the bought it from)

Whilst we can all make mistakes, I really cant understand someone shelling out megabucks for any item, without doing a little bit of research as to whether it is "genuine" or not. There is so much knowledge and expertise on here and elsewhere (and people who would help by inspecting a vehicle if it is in their area), that appears to be going to waste.

Do we somehow need a higher profile, or  should we just leave "a fool and his money" to make his own mistakes ??? Is it because people are just buying a vehicle as an "investment"?
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
Re: More money than sense?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 05:39:33 PM »

Did I miss these posts or did it happen on the old forum or Facebook? Sounded like an informative read.
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:44:58 PM »

Interesting thought. Living near to Brightwells auctions, we often come across vehicles that people have purchased there.  My old friend who has been repairing Landys since the sixties, often has people bringing such vehicles to him, for an "after purchase" inspection.   Some are absolute horrors.   If only these people took advice first.
A lot are paintwork resto's only, and buyers look no further.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:09 PM »

Did I miss these posts or did it happen on the old forum or Facebook? Sounded like an informative read.
There was one on here not that long ago (may have been the old forum), but the two most recent ones are on other forums.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 10:21:04 PM »

The question also arises when it comes to selling a vehicle that someone has inherited, or has been asked to dispose of, or simply doesn't know enough about the thing they are selling.

I've seen everything on here over the years, from people who have been told by someone that their LR is worth far more than it actually is, to the occasional naive seller who takes the first pm'd offer and sells far too cheaply, without getting advice.

The forum is here and we are willing to help.

However as always, you can take a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. :shakeinghead
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Dentman

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2297
  • .:
  • RIP
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 10:44:41 PM »

There is a seemingly lovely specimen at LRC Huddersfield on sale for nigh on £40K.This is described as Museum condition and as such may well be fairly priced.
Shirley anyone contemplating such a purchase would take professional advice.  ??? As an example of what you're saying, you can lead a horse to water but a pencil must lead. (Stan Laurel)
Time for my medication I think.  :stars
Why Why Why Delilah ?

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 11:56:42 PM »

There was one on here not that long ago (may have been the old forum), but the two most recent ones are on other forums.

One with lots of chrome, perhaps?

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 12:27:57 AM »

One with lots of chrome, perhaps?

Possibly  ;)

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 05:39:31 AM »

Interesting thought. Living near to Brightwells auctions, we often come across vehicles that people have purchased there.  My old friend who has been repairing Landys since the sixties, often has people bringing such vehicles to him, for an "after purchase" inspection.   Some are absolute horrors.   If only these people took advice first.
A lot are paintwork resto's only, and buyers look no further.

I agree auctions are often used as a means of offloading somewhat dubious vehicles to the uninformed, though to balance that in 2017 I bought a dismantled but very original and fairly sound 1963 military Mk8 FFR from a Brightwell's auction for £300.

Personally I find the whole "investment" idea quite repulsive and I believe the idea that any standard 2 or 2a is worth 30k+ to be farcical, in fact anything above 15k seems pretty unrealistic to me.

Hopeydaze

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2614
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 08:29:02 AM »

I went to the Sherborne Classic Car Show in Somerset in July (not sure why our club doesn't attend as it is a massive event with loads of clubs).  It includes an auction and I looked over a Series 1 and a classic Range Rover.  You are correct - it's all about polish and paintwork. Do your due diligence before bidding

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 09:19:28 AM »

I went to the Sherborne Classic Car Show in Somerset in July (not sure why our club doesn't attend as it is a massive event with loads of clubs). 

Simply the club is run by volunteers, no one person in the club has a calendar or diary of every car show, autojumble, Land Rover event.
It is down to the local areas to decide if they want to attend an event.
Possible event attendance are maybe brought up at the pub meetings and if there is interest in an event the local area organiser will help, if bookings are needed or co-ordinate some sort of club stand/display.
Often, there is no great interest as maybe there's another equally popular event somewhere else.
I've been to shows where I'm the only club "representative". We have leaflets, cards and membership forms (though this can be done online in the field now  :first ).
The area rep has access to club banners and signage etc.

If someone thinks there's a show or a classic car run going on - mention it to other local members and see if there's any interest in attending.

:cheers
Who's a then ?

oilstain

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 3140
  • .:
  • Whom the gods would destroy they first make mad
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »

I'm off to the NEC next weekend, using the club discount :first, and as those who have been before and seen some of the cars and Land Rovers in the auction, very high prices and not always the best examples :agh

Piggle

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6109
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 06:32:44 PM »

I’ll be at the nec too. Can’t wait!

Stick

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 07:38:37 AM »

Am I about to be one? I have a defender and had an Austin Gypsy when I was young but have never had a s2. There is 1961 one for sale for £20k in Peak District amd I am planning to drive 3 hours each way to have a look. Supposedly restored a few years ago but not seen any photos of restoration, is new chassis. Got a magnet to check panels. Plan to climb underneath for a good look. Any other suggestions? Thanks

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »

Think about it, look at adverts and save yourself £10,000.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.