S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More money than sense?  (Read 9058 times)

Stick

Re: More money than sense?
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2020, 08:05:54 AM »

Thanks, but looking at ads suggest 10k will get me an unrestored reasonable condition but I need to pay more for a restored one. LRO price guide suggests the same...

martinthefirst

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4519
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2020, 08:06:16 AM »

Got a magnet to check panels.

Most of the panels are non magnetic aluminium.
Land Rover Series IIA 1964, 3.9 V8, Designa chassis
Morris Minor Convertible 1961

Stick

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2020, 08:21:49 AM »

Sorry, should have said bulkhead, foot wells and I think doors?

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2020, 08:31:41 AM »

Door frames, but not skins/panels.

Sills are steel too,  should be galvanised, not painted.

Best thing you can do is take some pictures and allow the forum to confirm things are all present and correct,  or have a look at; https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php/topic,189.0.html

which is where my 20k would go if I had that sort of budget!

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »

:thud

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2020, 08:54:06 AM »

Hi,

Something is worth what somebody else will pay for it! All our cars (and theirs) would be valueless if there was a sudden dearth of fuel to run them on ... which could happen at any moment (OK ... unlikely)

Having said that, surely it is a crime to pass something off for what it isn't? Maybe a bit of interest from Trading Standards would concentrate a few minds.

One ploy might be to demand a new MOT, paid for by the Vendor, but added to the price, or shared between Buyer and Seller (assuming the sale proceeds?)

It is worth doing an on-line MOT HISTORY check before viewing. If nothing else, a previously mentioned "advisory" that is missed by a later tester (would they be so silly) should concentrate some minds. Could that be why some vendors are reluctant to reveal the registration mark ... a lap-top/kindle could be a useful addition to your tool box.

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:05 AM »

I don't think the market is what it was a couple of years ago. I think you could pay less (a lot less) than £20k for a very nice S2.
pictures, and words

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2020, 09:41:45 AM »

As someone once said, “A fool and their money are soon parted.”

Never buy a vehicle without the paperwork, even if it’s free!

If you’re selling, a fresh MoT will help the sale (even if it’s MoT exempt).

Never buy blind, inspect the vehicle or send an agent to look and report back.

Who's a then ?

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2020, 10:01:03 AM »

Keep looking - note adverts that look interesting and see how long they've been there then go and look at the vehicle if you really are interested.  No offers - go and look - 'shame you won't take offers - as I'd have offered £xxxxx'

Don't be in a hurry - if its good - you can insist on your expert looking - but remember he's not going to dismantle it - and if he's not convinced its really good he's going to say no - that's what you're asking him to do!

Some vendors will tell you that someone's looked at it and said (eg) 'that misfire is only carburettor idle'  This is not a good guide.  Think about it - you go and see someone's pride and joy and to you its a heap of ****.  You're simply going to make your excuses (which may be far from true or the whole story) and leave. 

Ask around - someone may be able to give you a lead - but be considerate - if someone isn't considering selling he's not necessarily going to be happy to go to a load of trouble at that time and may simply withdraw if he's pushed.

To get top price it must be REALLY good - ie starting and stopping properly, nice and straight and largely original - no turbo, TDi or 2.5 litre engines etc.  These may well make a better vehicle but when it comes to selling collectables originality is king - and well maintained and smart original is worth more than what amounts to a virtually new vehicle. 

I think the USA and some other countries get funny about galvanised chassis as they weren't original - but a repaired steel chaissis is OK.  Now which is stronger?  Defies logic doesn't it - but rules is rules.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2020, 10:40:49 AM »

The first question you need to ask yourself is are you a "rivet counter", if not and you just want a usable classic then keep an open mind, use the forum for advance but don't get bogged down in too much detail, as long as the basics are there you can pretty much do as you want.

As for the "More Money Than Sense Mob" yes had first hand experience with a couple of these characters, very much in your face, quiet intimidating and also worrying as to the lengths these people will go, in fact I checked for a tracker just in case. :agh :agh   

Have you looked at Miles3 Land Rover - https://www.series2club.co.uk/new_forum/index.php/topic,189.msg18448.html#new

RobS

Stick

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2020, 12:04:21 PM »

Thanks everybody for comments. About to see it, will investigate paperwork and take photos.  I too like what Miles has done, but have my heart set on rag top.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2020, 12:43:48 PM »

Am I about to be one? I have a defender and had an Austin *&%^$ when I was young but have never had a s2. There is 1961 one for sale for £20k in Peak District amd I am planning to drive 3 hours each way to have a look. Supposedly restored a few years ago but not seen any photos of restoration, is new chassis. Got a magnet to check panels. Plan to climb underneath for a good look. Any other suggestions? Thanks

At that money I'd want an absolutely correct vehicle - do a ton of research to find out exactly what a vehicle of that vintage looked like. Not my cup of tea really, I'd rather have something worth a lot less that I'd not mind getting muddy and scratched shifting logs. That's the joy of this Club, the mix of people and vehicles.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

milesr3

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5346
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2020, 12:47:25 PM »

I too like what Miles has done, but have my heart set on rag top.

You can swap the roof in a couple of hours  :cheers

Ian59

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »

My opinion (for what it's worth) and to coin a phrase my old nan used to use, 'God helps those who help themselves'. Which in this case I use to mean if you really want to buy a top drawer classic vehicle of any make and ensure that you are not being ripped off and buying a lemon, then you HAVE to do the hard miles and research your subject.

If you are prepared to do this, and ask lots of questions, research books, speak with people on forums etc. then over time you will build yourself enough knowledge to ensure you know what you are looking at in the vast majority of cases.

Lets put the issue of money aside, if you have the funds and want to buy the vehicle, then you are going to do so. Where it usually goes wrong is that buyers go about things the wrong way around. They save up over a long period or are lucky to have the money come available and they suddenly see what they think is the perfect vehicle and rush into buying it.

What they should do, is during the period they are saving up they should do their homework/research, so that when the money is eventually available they have the knowledge to make a wise purchase.
More difficult is when the money suddenly becomes available, they don't have the patience to wait until they build their knowledge, leaving the money in the bank until they are ready.

I myself was a good example of the former. Many years ago at the ripe old age of 22 I decided that I HAD to own a 101 Forward Control. However, I had no money. So I started to save, bit by bit. At the beginning of this process, I joined the 101 club, researched lots of books and attended lots of club events and spoke to lots of owners and pored over their vehicles at shows. I attended the military auctions where they were sold, learned what made a 'good one' and what didn't.

After three years of saving (and more importantly learning), I finally got my finances in a position to afford what I now knew 'good ones' sold for. At that time there were still some being released through military auctions, so that is where I looked and found an extremely good example, of the most sought after spec. and bought it, safe in the knowledge that I knew what I was looking at.

27 years later, I still own the vehicle, which is extremely original, never been welded and is probably worth in excess of 10 times what I paid for it.

The title of this topic is therefore correct. Most people, when they have the money do not apply the sense. If they did, they would take their time, learn their subject and buy when they are sufficiently educated to make a knowledgeable decision.

Ian

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2020, 01:56:15 PM »

Looking at the PVG advert, there is another link to a different vehicle. I guess this one is a Series 3 with a swapped front and a potentially illegally transposed reg ?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1012240
Andrew
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 19 queries.