S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buying parts online  (Read 946 times)

Xavier

• Chassis welder
  • .:
Buying parts online
« on: August 26, 2022, 12:27:01 PM »

So I live in Western Australia. I buy parts for my 2a and classic BMW from different places.  My son does the same. Why is it parts ordered from anywhere outside Australia arrive long before any parts ordered from inside Australia?  I mean, parts have arrived faster from Qatar, USA and the UK than from within Australia. Australia Post has become dreadful. Parts from 3 different suppliers have been on there way for quite some time. The local Oz post delivery guy drove his van into the neighbors garden wall and I had to avoid him driving head on towards me in the wrong lane out of the local petrol station. He was in the wrong lane not me.  Faaaarking heeeel.  They worked better when they were still using camels 100 years ago. Admittedly, I did have some stuff from American sent to Western Austria( I am not joking).  It arrived a month or so later via Austria.  Sadly it might be time to order all stuff from international suppliers only.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
Re: Buying parts online
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 02:18:16 PM »

I could easily say the same about the postal service here in the US.  Only country that's worse, as in speed of delivery, is Canada.

There are two main dealers I purchase parts from here in the States, the main one is 440 miles (708 km) away, that about a 7 hour drive.  I'm lucky if I get the parts in 2 to 3 weeks and have waited longer!  Yet I can order from Oz, or the UK and get it faster.

I actually placed an order for a couple inner steering columns, and other assorted parts, from a dealer in the UK.  The order was place early Friday morning central US time.  The package arrived mid afternoon the very next Monday!!!  Hand to Heaven - that's the fastest I've ever had a parts arrive from anywhere!!!  I also ordered some parts from Cairo Egypt and they arrived within 7 days.

What irks me the most is shipping cost.  I do not understand how, all of a sudden like, shipping rates have gone through the roof!!!  Well, not all of a sudden, but within the past couple years.  Example: there are a few Classic Land Rover magazines on eBay (seller is in the UK), they are selling for around $1- $2 each; yet the shipping is $32!!!

'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 04:16:21 PM »

The local Royal Mail delivery service is stunningly good. I order a fair bit from PA Blanchards, who generally get it in the post the same day if you order before lunch-time. I've had parts arrive here, in Scotland, the next day, almost always within 48 hours. Few if any courier can match that.

Did I mention PA Blanchards ?
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 04:54:19 PM »

there are a few Classic Land Rover magazines on eBay (seller is in the UK), they are selling for around $1- $2 each; yet the shipping is $32!!!

That's likely eBay's "Global Shipping Program" in action. I regularly send parcels to the U.S. and Canada and flat rate air mail would be a fraction of that. If there are any specific magazines you want send me a pm with the item numbers and I'd be happy to bid and forward them if you cover the postage.

I sent a parcel to Quebec last week, it arrived in less than seven days which I thought was pretty good.

Matt.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 05:26:12 PM »

That's likely eBay's "Global Shipping Program" in action. I regularly send parcels to the U.S. and Canada and flat rate air mail would be a fraction of that. If there are any specific magazines you want send me a pm with the item numbers and I'd be happy to bid and forward them if you cover the postage.

I sent a parcel to Quebec last week, it arrived in less than seven days which I thought was pretty good.

Matt.

Thanks, appreciate it.

I have contacted sellers in re shipping costs on eBay, and a few others sites, and they all say "that's the actual cost"...  yea, right.

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 05:51:13 PM »

To the OP, surely if parts ordered from abroad are arriving with you, the problem with post isn't at your address, but at the place of despatch in Australia?
Tim

Bloke

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6610
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 06:10:28 PM »

During the restoration of my 2A I've ordered parts from Canada, USA, Italy, Cyprus and UAE. And all of those orders arrived quicker than any of my orders from Craddocks.
1968 Series 2A 88" 2.25 Petrol (Mine)
1968 Series 2A 109" Station Wagon 2.6 Petrol (My Dad's)

Xavier

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2022, 08:00:17 AM »

In response to Tim V, it isn’t the supplier.  They usually dispatch that day.  It is the OZ POST system and their dodgy subcontractor delivery vans.  In response to Genem, I used to live in Scotland and the post even then (40 years ago) was very good.  In response to Corios, yep, I ordered a new canvas top for my 2a from the UK and it arrived in 4 days.

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2022, 05:07:10 PM »

Not good yesterday, they were on strike  :stars
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2022, 09:09:49 AM »

Did I mention PA Blanchards ?

Still due to be closed before summer next year arn't they?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 19 queries.