S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Guidance appreciated for Series 2a  (Read 1176 times)

Landy88

• Chassis welder
Guidance appreciated for Series 2a
« on: September 03, 2022, 07:38:56 AM »

Hi, this is my first post on here. I’ve been looking at Series 2a’s online for a while now but haven’t pulled the trigger on anything yet. I’m looking for a petrol series 2/2a 88 inch rag top, hoping to find one in decent mechanical order with solid chassis and bulkhead and in as original condition as possible. I’m trying to find one with an overdrive and free wheeling hubs fitted but am also happy to consider vehicles without. I really like the patina of old Land Rovers so am not looking for a beautifully nut and bolt restored car or one that looks better than it did when it came out the factory. What I’m really looking for is a car with a solid underneath, engine etc in good working order (refurbished or well looked after), but also with bodywork that has lots of patina.
I’d really appreciate any guidance anyone has.

Many thanks.

Rustandoil

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7844
  • .:
Re: Guidance appreciated for Series 2a
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 07:43:24 AM »

All i can say is that you are in the right place to find such a vehicle... Keep an eye on the for sale section and any links that pop up 👍🏻

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 07:46:45 AM »

Join the club, only £21 per year, start going to your local pub meet and get to know the members in your area.  You will learn a lot and at some stage someone will hear of a land rover that will be suitable

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

jeffersj

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 7769
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 08:47:18 AM »

Be prepared to compromise on your dream vehicle, unless of course you have bottomless pockets!  I too was looking for such a vehicle but found that those I fancied were always too far away for practicality.

I ended up with a hard top with windows and a 200Tdi engine but love it non the less.
Jeff

Ex Defender 300Tdi
Ex D4
Ex D3
Ex TD5
Ex 1968Series 2a

angello

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6659
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »

What you are looking for is pretty much the holy grail of Land Rovers.... a solid, mechanically fit, patina'd, original car with a canvas, o/d and freewheeling hubs! That is what everyone else is looking for too, so you will need to be prepared to move quickly and dig your hand deeep into your pocket when the opportunity presents  :tiphat.
That may require a re-assessment of your budget.... The cars in high demand and low supply do command the highest prices.

They are out there though and do still come up for sale privately through the usual channels and here, so it's worth keeping on scanning. The commercial sales outfits also have a decent knack of rooting out cars like the one you are looking for (as they know they sell well!) but you'll have to pay their rates and you aren't guaranteed a better car at the end of it.

As others have said, getting involved with your local club will be worthwhile - you can sometimes buy cars that aren't officially for sale through making contacts and talking to people. The other thing worth considering is buying a 'near-enough' car and making into the car you want. Of your stipulations, the only thing that can't be genuinely replicated is the patina... so if you were to find a car with the right patina, but nothing else, you can make the rest of it fit your desires with enough money. I wouldn't rule out a hardtop car as it's so relatively easy to convert to canvas. The mechanical aspects can also be brought up to spec pretty cheaply and easily. A car with a rough chassis can have the chassis replaced with a galvanised which will also improve it's long term desirability.... It's worth thinking more liberally.
Free wheel hubs and overdrive wouldn't be a deal breaker on anything for me, as they are so easy to fit after purchase.

As with all these things, it really depends on how much money you want to spend and how patient you can be  :cheers

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 10:26:14 AM »

As Membership Sec I fairly regularly get asked to post up vehicles on other peoples behalf. I put them in the "For Sale" section of this Forum. There was a good example offered a few weeks ago relatively near me.... but its been taken off the market as the owner found new storage for it. Keep looking !

G.
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 10:38:03 AM »

My advice would be bode your time and don't be tempted to spend £15k+ by dealer hype, prices are dropping and IMO will continue to do so.

109+1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3618
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 11:50:30 AM »

What's your location what sort of budget are you thinking of as said above you are looking for pretty much wanting what everyone else is after, I would not discount a hard top/truck cab as easily converted for a few hundred pounds, what are your mechanical skills like, its part of the fun of ownership.

Landy88

• Chassis welder
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 03:25:39 PM »

Hi, thanks for the info. My budget is in the region of 10-15k . Some members on here seem to suggest that a good original series 2 should be worth in the region of 10k but I quite often see them advertised for over 15k! I would consider getting a hard top and converting it - my mechanical skills are a bit limited but I am fairly keen to improve. It would be nice if it had already been made as a rag top so was fairly original but I am happy to consider a hard top…. I’m based in Hampshire

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 04:04:30 PM »

We have an active area down there withplenty of members who will help.  Changing from hard top to rag top is straightforward needing minimum skills but can be a bit expensive so should be factored into the costs.

Peter

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 05:33:08 PM »

It would be nice if it had already been made as a rag top so was fairly original.

"Rag top" is a full tilt.

I am not sure if I am interpreting your comment correctly, but if you want to prove that a particular Land Rover came out of the factory with a full tilt, you may find that almost impossible after all these years - unless you can find a photo of it on the original Dealer's forecourt....

Oh, and beware, "fairly" original means different things to different people!

"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2022, 06:17:54 PM »

"Rag top" is a full tilt.

I am not sure if I am interpreting your comment correctly, but if you want to prove that a particular Land Rover came out of the factory with a full tilt, you may find that almost impossible after all these years - unless you can find a photo of it on the original Dealer's forecourt....

I'm not sure I'd entirely agree, it depends how well the conversion was done and what other tell-tale holes are present (or not).

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2022, 06:26:13 PM »

Hi, thanks for the info. My budget is in the region of 10-15k . Some members on here seem to suggest that a good original series 2 should be worth in the region of 10k but I quite often see them advertised for over 15k! I would consider getting a hard top and converting it - my mechanical skills are a bit limited but I am fairly keen to improve. It would be nice if it had already been made as a rag top so was fairly original but I am happy to consider a hard top…. I’m based in Hampshire

£6k to £8k will get you a sound 2/2a 88", though possibly not with an overdrive and freewheel hubs (which personally I don't see as a plus, but that's just me).

In terms of patina do you mean you want one which still wears its original factory paint, or an older repaint showing signs of use/age? Do you want it to be "all numbers matching" (not that the numbers do actually match) or would you be happy with something which has, for instance, a rebuilt Series Three 2.25 in place of the one fitted at the factory?.

What dealers and sellers on eBay are asking and actual selling prices are two entirely different things, and if you look on facebook marketplace you'll see plenty for more realistic prices.

Landy88

• Chassis welder
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2022, 09:10:42 PM »

Hi, it does not have to be original paint (although that would be a bonus) I am just after a vehicle that is mechanically in good condition whilst looking like a 60 year old car. I would consider a car which didn’t have an original engine but would prefer if that engine had come out of a Series 2 as well…
Thank you for the info.

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7756
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2022, 10:05:13 PM »

I may be going against the grain here, but I do have a different take on what it might cost to get a good S2.
As discussed recently (with contributions from diffwhine amongst others), to restore (or rebuild) ANY classic vehicle is likely to cost circa £20k or more. This may not be recouped on selling the vehicle of course.

As an old bloke I decided to get a S2 which I could use without major work (having previously completely restored MGs, TRs etc).

So I insisted on a galvanised chassis and good "as new" bulkhead, all alloy straight and not requiring any attention, mechanically overhauled etc.  Add up the cost of parts and the cost of labour for that.

As it happens, there will ALWAYS be more work needed on a classic vehicle, whether just fettling or ongoing maintenance and replacement. So more than enough to keep me happily occupied.

I did also want a full tilt, SWB, with an original (type) engine etc., proper S2 dash, FW hubs etc etc. So if what you want turns up you have to grab it fast if the price looks reasonable.

I doubt I could have got what I have for £10k.

Ian F
1961 SWB Basic petrol 2.25
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 16 queries.