S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: South Africa CKD Land Rovers from Port Elizabeth - Key Differences?  (Read 1212 times)

worldofinflation

Hi everyone: I am looking at a very original single-family 1967 Series IIA 109 5-door here in South Africa. It is a Port Elizabeth CKD with PE badging. VIN: 26302451D. Due to the truck's apparent originality, I think it may be a good reference point to gauge the differences between South African and Home Market trucks from this era. I'd like to possibly correct any deviations from the factory, and so would appreciate insight on what made these CKDs unique.

Some differences I've noticed from my North American 88":

- The vehicle has front bench seats (material has been replaced with olive canvas so I'm unsure what the original fabric was)
- Only one set of lights punched-out on the wings (was it up to the dealer to punch the second hole on civilian CKDs?)
- No chrome bezel on headlights
- The headliner looks to be a factory job, but is a different material
- Similarly with door cards and trim.
- Radiator is South African made
- No heater
- The vehicle is limestone, but interestingly, the owners insist it was dark brown / red (i.e. a non-land rover color) when purchased. The color through the limestone paint almost looks like a roan brown from a series 3. Did the South African vehicles come in different colors and/or was a special color order possible? 

I was only wondering if CKD trucks ever came with station wagon badging. i.e. is there a way to tell if my truck was a "station wagon". It has a deluxe bonnet and a double-skin roof.

Thanks all.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: South Africa CKD Land Rovers from Port Elizabeth - Key Differences?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 10:31:51 AM »

I can't add much about the 2A era, but I worked for Land Rover in South Africa at Blackheath (Cape Town) and Mutare (Leyland Zimbabwe) in the late 1980s / early 1990s. The vehicles then did differ from UK build significantly.

This was mainly down to local content regulations to reduce the tax liability on the CKD units. Commonly, items such as trim doors, headliner etc.), glass, seating, wheels, tyres and so on were supplied from local manufacturers under licence. Also it was common to source brake discs and linings locally as well. Paints were obviously supplied locally and colours did vary. For example, my One Ten in Zimbabwe built in Zimbabwe was a lovely light blue colour which was not available as a LR colour, but was a colour used in Southern Africa.

It was common to supply One Tens without heaters on the 2.5 petrol and diesel engines in those days. A heater was a chargeable option being deemed largely unnencessary in most of Southern Africa throughout the year. A bad winter in the Cape might suggest that many users disagreed with ths policy...

Badging varied over the years. I have a collection of global assembly nameplates, but no SA SW badge. The chances are that unless it was deemed financially beneficial for marketing purposes, a SW badge would not have been fitted in the SA region as standard. the whole programme was to keep cost down and such a badge would normally have been deemed unnecesary. We have a very early 109 SW (Series 2) sitting on a farm near Kruger which does not have a SW badge, but we are unsure as yet if this one was built in SA or in Rhodesia at the moment.

I take it that your vehicle has headlights in the grille and not in the wings? On the wings without headlights, the pressing was only there for the side light and even when indiactors became mandatory, the pressing wasn't changed as far as I am aware, they just added a drilling to the wing for the second light.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

worldofinflation

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 10:48:40 AM »

Thank you for the insight. Yes, lights in the grill. Once I have the vehicle in person, I'm going to go through it closely and post some reference photos.

I am also very interested in the Zim and Northern Rhodesia / Zambia (Ndola?) built Series Land Rovers.

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 12:25:19 PM »

These are the paint colours listed in the 1961 parts catalogue. Where or on what model a particular colour was used I don't know.
Bronze green
Ivory
Blue
Poppy red
Light green
Sand
Dark grey
Mid grey
Marine blue
Off white
Limestone.
.W.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2022, 02:30:08 PM »

Welcome aboard !

A note for folk thinking of importing S.AF CKD vehicles back to the UK - it's a bit of a minefield, very difficult to get proof of when the vehicle was actually assembled, which is a key bit of information as far as the Authorities (DVLA) are concerned when it comes to re-registering the vehicle. Talk to Peter, the Clubs Vehicle Registration Officer before you start the project ! 
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »

Not unusual for CKD vehicles to have custom colours to suit local tastes.
Lamps without chrome rings is correct for a 1967 IIA.
The deluxe bonnet was standard on all 109 "(except Australia and a few other CKD countries) and the tropical roof is standard station wagons. CKD stations do seem to have broadly matched UK vehicles for spec, moreso than utilities.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

worldofinflation

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 10:24:22 AM »

Thanks, everyone. The vehicle comes with some of its original literature -- I will update here as I learn more. The truck is going to stay in South Africa for the time being.

worldofinflation

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2022, 10:34:32 AM »

Here is the truck:

109+1

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 3618
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2022, 10:48:00 AM »

Very nice looking vehicle.

Leon

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 08:25:43 AM »

These are the paint colours listed in the 1961 parts catalogue. Where or on what model a particular colour was used I don't know.
Bronze green
Ivory
Blue
Poppy red
Light green
Sand
Dark grey
Mid grey
Marine blue
Off white
Limestone.
.W.

SNL attached
112602729 Fire Tender
112801540 Hard Top
28700207A 1963 2a Forward Control
1992 D90 Tdi
1993 R-R Tdi

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 08:29:10 AM »

The difference is that CKD models were exported for local painting. I reckon the SNL refers to fully built up export models which would have been obviously painted in Rover the standard Rover colour palette. Some markets stuck to the defined colours from Rover for CKD manufacture. Kenya, South Africa, Angola and Zimbabwe / Rhodesia did not...

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 08:47:25 AM »

That looks very nice, similar to my one.
Mine is a 262 chassis number, 26206487D so a similar time period to your one too, right hand drive export model but assembled in the UK factory.

As for the badges, in the UK the 4 wheel drive station wagon badge was dropped from the 12 seat versions so they were only fitted on the 10 seat and the 88" 7 seat versions. The 12 seat version of the 109" in the UK wasn't really called a station wagon as it was tax free so to show the difference, they dropped the badges. You are quite within your rights though to call that and any 12 seat ones you see a station wagon. They are essentially the same thing.

What type of centre seat do you have? If it is a one piece bench seat with short, two person sideways benches in the back then you have a 10 seat version. I would have thought the station wagon badge would be on the back but maybe not on the front. Some got the front badge, mine didn't appear to ever have it.

I see your bonnet has the recess for the tyre as well, mine is a non-recessed deluxe bonnet.

Craig.

worldofinflation

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

Could someone please advise what the correct marker / reat lights would be on this 1967 Port Elizabeth-built truck?

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2022, 04:54:46 PM »

My guess would be that it would be the same as Craig's SW above. The only problem is that as a CKD, there has to be a significant proportion of local content, so it could have been something broadly similar but locally manufactured. Land Rover would not have approved anything very dissimilar to what would be fitted ex works Solihull unless local legislation dictated it.

worldofinflation

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2022, 09:00:19 AM »

Thank you. When did land rover move from glass to plastic?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.