S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Defender vs Ineos Grenadier  (Read 4979 times)

Hopeydaze

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2614
  • .:
Re: New Defender vs Ineos Grenadier
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2022, 10:11:54 PM »

I’m pleased to report that while driving my old Defender down a road near Tavistock in Devon I saw a new Defender 110 with a roof rack filled with ladders which clearly worked for its living. First time other than on the Harry’s Garage YouTube channel

Mind you, knowing the price if my builder turned up in one...

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2022, 09:02:50 AM »

I haven't been lucky enough to look at a Grenadier yet and certainly not in a position to order one but, I have enjoyed following the story through their emails and Facebook page. It does look a very capable vehicle and something I could see myself happily driving around in.

It is a shame to say that Land Rover no longer produce anything I like the look of. The Discovery lost its looks at the 3rd version and the Range Rover has developed into a huge oversized jelly mould on wheels. The Range Rover Sport is probably the best looking of the bunch now for me.

I think if I had the kind of money to buy a new vehicle I wouldn't. I'd buy an old 110 station wagon and pay someone to rebuild it onto a new chassis, new bulkhead, new interior and fresh paint. I kind of miss the 110 V8 station wagon my parents used to own, that was great.

Craig.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2022, 04:58:45 PM »

I think if I had the kind of money to buy a new vehicle I wouldn't. I'd buy an old 110 station wagon and pay someone to rebuild it onto a new chassis, new bulkhead, new interior and fresh paint. I kind of miss the 110 V8 station wagon my parents used to own, that was great.

Craig.

Great choice Craig. :cheers

However, I think if I had the space, I would buy a Discovery 3 (or possibly 4).

Not for any reason other than I like the look of them when they come towards me on the road.

They have "presence". 

The new Defender" can drive past me and I don't even notice it...... :coffee
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Bronze Green

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »

Great choice Craig. :cheers

However, I think if I had the space, I would buy a Discovery 3 (or possibly 4).

Not for any reason other than I like the look of them when they come towards me on the road.

They have "presence". 

The new Defender" can drive past me and I don't even notice it...... :coffee

The D3 I had was a great vehicle, I had a few niggles with it in the 8 years I had it as my daily but along with my Skoda Yeti it was a great vehicle. Not sure how the electrics will hold up on a + 10 year old D3 but they are lovely to drive. My Old Toyota LC feels like D2 to drive but far more reliable. I’m not sure how bullet proof the current LC is as they are more complex so I’ll stick with my LC 90 Colorado.

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2022, 09:17:26 PM »

The D3 I had was a great vehicle, I had a few niggles with it in the 8 years I had it as my daily but along with my Skoda Yeti it was a great vehicle. Not sure how the electrics will hold up on a + 10 year old D3 but they are lovely to drive. My Old Toyota LC feels like D2 to drive but far more reliable. I’m not sure how bullet proof the current LC is as they are more complex so I’ll stick with my LC 90 Colorado.

I also have a 90 colorado a 1999, in 9 years of ownership it was cost virtually no money in repairs just servicing costs. I was looking for a disco or defender when I ended up buying it as pound for pound I thought it gave much better bang for the bucks. It tows a horse trailer brilliantly and at 23 years old everything still works.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2022, 02:38:54 AM »

Huh... no responses from others here in the States...

If I had that kind of money I wouldn't buy either; I would take some of that money though and have Grover gone over with a fine toothed comb by better Rover mechanics than myself!!!  With the rest I'd probably buy a nice SI 80".

As to the Grenadier - I do prefer it's looks.  The new 'Defender' - not on your life - hate the thing!!!  It doesn't even look like it belongs within the LR stable.  A buddy of mine's said it reminded him of a fancy version of a 1990s Dodge Caravan!!  To me, and few friends in the area, they come off more as snooty soccer mom SUVs and nothing more.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2022, 08:41:33 AM »

Don't underestimate the capabilities of the New Defender. It is highly impressive. I too don't like the styling, but that's a personal thing. Mind you - I hated the look of Discovery 3 when it first came out, now I think that was a fantastic design, so things do grow on you.

An interesting comment from a friend of mine (who works for JLR) last year at an event where we were showing off one of our prototype Grenadiers... "We should have built that as our New Defender. We should have badged our New Defender as Discovery 5 and never built our Discovery 5...

I agree - that would have been one impressive stable of vehicles.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2022, 09:45:10 AM »

I would not be surprised if in the future Ineos sells the Grenadier to JLR - lock, stock & barrel….

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2022, 11:06:50 AM »

Mark, I am like you, I do not like the shape of the new defender but I have a couple of friends who have them (they are also series owners).  They apre pleased with them and they have proved to be very good off road and so far reliable.

I do like the shape of the Grenadier and I always thought Iveco missed a trick when they cocked up the PS10

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Exile

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2022, 05:52:42 PM »

An interesting comment from a friend of mine (who works for JLR) last year  "We should have built that as our New Defender. We should have badged our New Defender as Discovery 5 and never built our Discovery 5...

So many people, including me, have been saying that ^ ever since the Pretender was revealed (after a painfully long build up).

So it is good to hear the same from a Factory insider!

I would not be surprised if in the future Ineos sells the Grenadier to JLR - lock, stock & barrel….

Stranger things have happened!

Phil2014

• Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4721
  • .:
  • Borders area rep
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2022, 07:15:44 PM »

So many people, including me, have been saying that ^ ever since the Pretender was revealed (after a painfully long build up).                         
There will be a lot more people that don’t agree, myself included, times move on, vehicles develop, I’m glad the new defender isn’t like the old one, I’d love to know if the haters have driven one or even looked closely at one. The factory can’t make them fast enough, I waited 10 months for ours, some are being told now the wait is over a year, if you don’t like a car, you don’t have to buy one or moan about it, just accept you don’t like it and move on. Rant over.
Phil.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2022, 07:25:37 PM »

Yet those who love it can't seem to resist temptation to prove those who don't like it to be "wrong". Why doesn't the live and let live attitude work both ways?
The new Defender poses two questions to me. Is it's good car? Is it a good Defender replacement? I doubt ever will truly be resolved.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Phil2014

• Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4721
  • .:
  • Borders area rep
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2022, 08:00:26 PM »

Yet those who love it can't seem to resist temptation to prove those who don't like it to be "wrong". Why doesn't the live and let live attitude work both ways?
The new Defender poses two questions to me. Is it's good car? Is it a good Defender replacement? I doubt ever will truly be resolved.
Is that aimed at me? If so, where did I say anyone was wrong?

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2022, 06:16:27 AM »

No, just a general observation.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • .:
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »

There will be a lot more people that don’t agree, myself included, times move on, vehicles develop, I’m glad the new defender isn’t like the old one, I’d love to know if the haters have driven one or even looked closely at one. The factory can’t make them fast enough, I waited 10 months for ours, some are being told now the wait is over a year, if you don’t like a car, you don’t have to buy one or moan about it, just accept you don’t like it and move on. Rant over.
Phil.

Hmm.
Am I allowed to comment on other cars I don't particularly like (however "good" they are), or is it just the new "Defender"? ???

(My comment, of course, focused on the fact that even a factory insider said it should not have been called "Defender"). :coffee
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 17 queries.