S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on ebay sale please  (Read 1614 times)

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
Re: advice on ebay sale please
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2022, 03:54:29 PM »

A big ticket item like this is not suitable for eBay. If they want it enough, they'll collect or send funds via other means. Walk.

"He looks too cheap to me to be of good quality."

Monstercake

• Chassis welder
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2022, 02:15:33 PM »

When you sell anything on eBay get the buyer to organise the post once it has been picked up if anything goes wrong then it’s the buyer who has to sort it out even if you have to leave the box opened on pickup to prove what’s inside then tape it up and your side of the bargain is done

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2022, 07:23:59 PM »

Pull out, when something smells wrong, it’s fishy.
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

Gertie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3798
  • .:
  • 1969 109" SW
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2022, 07:44:04 PM »

It isn't just eBay.  Anyone in business will tell you that 95% of customers are honest and reasonable.  5% are not.  And this smells like one that knows how to play the system.  Some do.

eBay and all consumer legislation is very much biased in favour of the consumer, to protect the consumer from the the 5% of unscrupulous businesses.  This is good for the consumer and makes the law makers look protective.  But 5% of consumers are unscrupulous and businesses have to protect themselves from them, normally by building it into their pricing so the 95% honest pay a little more so when the 5% rip off the business it is covered.  It is the way of the world we have created.

You cannot afford the loss, you have not protected yourself with 95 other buyers paying a little more.  Don't take the risk.  You could hand deliver, photo it and because the consumer has all the power, eBay may well still fall on their side.

In our business, we encourage our people to pipe up when they smell a foul.  And often then refund deposits with some excuse as to why we cannot fulfil.   

But my wife tells me often that dealing with the consumer for so many years has left me with a jaundiced eye.....  :shakeinghead  I also recognise that I only every encounter the wrong kind of consumer because they are the only ones that get escalated to me.  Hence the jaundiced eye.  I then come home to see my S2, my eye clears and the world is all good again!  :cheers

Paul

Moogling

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6646
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2022, 10:16:43 AM »

My rule with anything on ebay is only sell it there if you can afford a total loss of the money.

Otherwise you're better off with classifieds gumtree facebook etc, where you get cash or a bank transfer.

2DieselMan

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4082
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »

Just looked, if this is your Fairey Capstan Winch Series Land Rover Land Rover MAP Superwinch Mayflower which sold for £1750 + £40 P&P, looks a really nice winch!
I would definitely recommend cancelling the sale, refunding, you can quoting damaged whilst packing.    I believe that this kind of item is really cash on collection.   You could always 'repair the damage'  and relist later with 'Cash on Collection Only' or list an Land Rover Forum or another site.

ebay used to be a fair place to sell, but now it is very much on the side of Buyers, 1st, Business Sellers Second and they don't care about Private Sellers, ebay have a connection to your Bank, so they'll just take the money back and refund the buyer if the buyer complains for any issue.

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2022, 12:30:17 PM »

About right.

About 15-20% of our eBay sales are returns/refunds, and near always these stink of non-genuine reasons. Amazon report higher. The bigger the ticket, the greater the returns. It's a cost of business. You can't always cost for it. There is no way in hell I'd put a relatively rare, heavy and pricey item out on eBay without real cash.

Mr Bezos is a billionaire on the back of what he calls 'Customer focus'. What this 'actually' means is...  he forces his sellers to refund, redeliver etc, at nil or near nil cost to him. This makes him very rich... Well, you work it out. It's cute.

eBay/Amazon will side with the crook, sadly the crook is usually the buyer.

Private sale? Be wary of bank transfers to non-business accounts, if the buyer claims the sale was fraudulent (easy to do) you've a job to prove it wasn't, and if it 'was' woe betide you getting banking again.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 20 queries.