S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: - STOLEN -  (Read 6048 times)

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2023, 01:06:32 PM »

actually a good idea to mark parts, imagine every part having a reg number stamped on it for example, surely some work would be needed before theyre ready to be sold as spare parts or whatever happens to them here in the UK. obviously if they vanish elsewhere they won't care as much, but every bit helps i guess.

etching glass is another thing, it may take work the thieves might not want to go through with, so may go with an easier vehicle. ???

though we still have little idea what happens with these stolen series land rovers. so who knows what theyre doing with them

• Master of the oils
- STOLEN -
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2023, 01:14:48 PM »

I worked for a haulage firm that had a tractor unit stolen soon after they bought it.

Many many years later the police from a long way away made contact, excitedly and foolishly we asked if it had been recovered and was due to be returned.

All they had was the passenger door which was in the firms livery. 

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2023, 08:03:05 PM »

Mrs. D told me that a couple of males in a white van were asking about my Land Rover. She told them it wasn't for sale and it belonged to a "friend." Unfortunately she didn't get the registration number.
Shortly after it was used for dog walking duties. I was getting a bit paranoid about it and thinking what extra anti theft devices I could add
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Ian F

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7756
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #78 on: February 15, 2023, 10:14:11 PM »

Alan, have a look at a Hardcase pedal box.

I use that as a quick easy deterrent if out away from home, with a Bulldog wheel clamp (your advice) when parked up at home in my driveway.

I use a disklock on my MG, but not on the Series 2a because the pinch bolt holding the steering wheel is still exposed - whole thing can be taken off easily.

Ian F
1961 SWB Basic petrol 2.25

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #79 on: February 15, 2023, 10:23:33 PM »

Thanks Ian, I'll have a look at it.
When the undesirables saw the Land Rover it was wearing its wheel clamp.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
- STOLEN -
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2023, 08:17:45 AM »

I have various anti-theft aids fitted and it is boxed in behind other vehicles most of the time.  The auto electrician that fitted the cruise control to our Romahome last week reckonned that there is only 1 decent tracker and he isnt allowed to fit it.  Most seem to work via the mobile phone network and can be easilt jammed.

Who would bat an eyelid if a recovery truck rolled up and either dragged a vehicle bodily onto its bed or lifted it via some type of hiab thing (like they use for removing illegally parked cars in urban areas), especially if there was a name on the side?  I know of a car that was stolen by being lifted over a 6ft gate.

If a professional car theif wants it he will get it and will probably have a market for it (either whole or in pieces), all we can dois make it as difficult as possible for the casual car thief so that the risk isn worth it and they will go elsewhere (sorry for sending them somewhere else) or that it takes them so long that they get caught.

Marking individual parts with something like smart water doesnt stop the theft but does help identify parts it they are recovered.

Make sure you have a comprehensive collection of photos especially of those odd bits that really identify your car

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Matt Reeves

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6086
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2023, 08:28:55 AM »

That's interesting what the chap said regarding trackers. The Automatrics system looks pretty good and appears to work.

I'm of the belief that unless you can prevent it being taken, then a tracker is the next best thing.

• Master of the oils
- STOLEN -
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2023, 12:28:47 PM »

At one stage, in this area, the police used to stop land rovers on the move at times they considered the vehicles would be tucked up.

Proper blues on pull over pnc stop to match you to the vehicle.

Reassuring if slightly inconveniencing.

They dont have the resources now, and the naughty folk know that.

I suppose I am getting on a bit now, but grew up on farms, and haulage yards where keys were either left in ignition or at worst on the key board on a hook with the reg label above.

Just aside, they stole my farmer mates van whilst he was taking hay from the back to the feed ring the other side of the fence.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
- STOLEN -
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2023, 02:10:18 PM »

I've been stopped a few times going to work in the early hours. Usually just park along side me and ask me who I am. Once satisfied they bid me farewell. I've also got several layers of security as well.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2023, 12:00:58 PM »

If we do get stopped by the Police in our Land Rovers, I think it is a good idea to thank them and encourage them to continue to do so.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
- STOLEN -
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2023, 12:12:03 PM »

If we do get stopped by the Police in our Land Rovers, I think it is a good idea to thank them and encourage them to continue to do so.
Yes I always do. I also switch my engine off and put keys on the dash. I think it puts them more at ease too.

• Master of the oils
Re: - STOLEN -
« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2023, 01:46:45 PM »

I've been stopped a few times going to work in the early hours. Usually just park along side me and ask me who I am. Once satisfied they bid me farewell. I've also got several layers of security as well.

That is the jist. They tailed me for 5 miles before they lit me up the last time.

Nowt to hide on my part, surely the pnc prelim could be done by anpr.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
Re: - STOLEN -
« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2023, 02:18:47 PM »

Nowt to hide on my part, surely the pnc prelim could be done by anpr.
Yes Last time they stopped me they'd already done checks. Pulled alongside me I opened the window He shouted across for my name Was satisfied and let me carry on.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 17 queries.