S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Most useful accessories for 'working' Land Rovers  (Read 2784 times)

angello

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6659
  • .:
Re: Most useful accessories for 'working' Land Rovers
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2023, 10:00:31 PM »

Each to their own, but a bog standard Series is just as useable and capable now as when new.

I concur wholeheartedly  :cheers

There are things that have made mine more functional which simply weren't even a thought when it was new though - the USB socket for example. Heated screens too. They just make life easier!

Yes, a bog standard Series is just as capable and usable now as when new, but it can be even better with a few functional additions....  :RHD

I fully respect anyone that prefers to keep theirs exactly as it came out of the factory though  :o

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2023, 10:40:56 PM »

Yes, a bog standard Series is just as capable and usable now as when new

That's the exact problem. The world has not stood still, vehicles around me, and today's driver has expectations that a bog-standard Series will not meet. A simple example is there's occasions where it's next to impossible to park without a reversing-light, drivers will simply close on you before you can reverse. Which from their standpoint is perfectly correct. And not often you'll need them, but when you do, hazard-lights are expected.

A Series as 'capable and usable now as when new' is a problem, especially in heavy traffic/ crowded roads. The "it's a classic argument" won't work. It's not a question of opinion, 'exactly-stock' is fine for 'classic-use' only we'll not get 5-6000 miles without coming against serious problems.

Maybe not in rural areas, but anywhere else, rush-hour large towns, and you're found becoming a nuisance, and from today's road-user-standpoint, they have a very strong point.

"He looks too cheap to me to be of good quality."

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 11:47:51 PM »

^ sorry but.. Rubbish!
See my location, I drive in London suburbs all the time, and until very recently through Blackwall tunnel and back several times a week, thence through East London, Hackney, Islington etc etc.. Without any of the doom laden malarkey you're punting!

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2023, 07:01:50 AM »

I've driven my bog standard 1 Ton 109" for over 15 years without any issues. It's slow. People can overtake. The use of wing mounted mirrors takes more thought than door mounted but they are useable. Never had an issue with the lack of a reversing lamp.

My 110 I ordered new with aircon, heated seats & screen, central locking etc. The only permanent add-ons so far have been heated mirrors and led driving lamps to improve high beam. Otherwise it's standard.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Old80

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 5817
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2023, 08:25:08 AM »

Other than an overdrive the one thing I would definitely install are a set of inertia reel seat belts, those old fixed seat belts are an absolute pain in the butt.

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »

I have failed to make my point.

^ sorry but.. Rubbish!
See my location, I drive in London suburbs all the time, and until very recently through Blackwall tunnel and back several times a week, thence through East London, Hackney, Islington etc etc.. Without any of the doom laden malarkey you're punting!

Aside from rural areas, if it's crowded roads we have, I would think London suburbs would see one of the better places to run a 88. Don't suppose we'll see much over 35mph for more than a minute. OK, parking a 109 might not be good, a pain yet possible. Drums can get a little out of wack (which let's face it, will be if in constant use without fettling) it won't be found too noisy, and if it is, traffic means this won't be sustained. And we won't be doing any distance at speed, as we would near the M25, because traffic-density is such that we can't.

I've driven my bog standard 1 Ton 109" for over 15 years without any issues.

That’s it right there. It’s a 1Ton. The 110 is because amongst other issues the 1 Ton won’t see much over 12mpg.  15 years on the sort of miles it’s in use means very few chances for issues. It’ll be used a plaything. Collectively the miles in 15 years won't be much. There’s nothing wrong with that, only distances will be low and rare. Hence it's shortfalls won't be seen. Doubt it goes out on cold Feb mornings or foggy late night distances in January too often.

Odd are thus in favour of 'classic-for-classic' use. Things like brakes which stay consistent become essential when a classic is used as others use modern vehicles. Else on average modern-use distances, once every 2-3 years the moment comes when we're expected to react, and it's expected, this - as with - a vehicle far younger. Those true heart-stopping moments only happen 3-4 times in our driving history. When they arrive... Stock won’t do that. Yet the good thing is, if you're doing your distances in 'things-modern', purely by this fact.... the odds will be, that's when they happen. I differ from most, in that I'm doing non-classic miles in a classic. Those moments will and have come, I've been found in a Series when they did, hence this viewpoint.

In short, when those 50,000+ miles are not done in a Series, probabilities change.

+1 on the seat-belts. I've seen some mounted to crush spines and necks. Showground only. Mount them as the coiler. And yet another example where stock - if driven enough - when the 'moment' comes, will see serious issues.

williammac

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6158
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2023, 09:32:29 AM »

I have a series 2 88" and a series 3 109", both truck cabs. The series 3 has for 34 years been my daily driver in london and for frequent long trips to Wales. The series 2 is a bit of a mountain hack which lives in Wales.
I've fitted both vehicles with winches and high level inertia reel seat belts. Otherwise that's it - I find both perfectly adequate in modern traffic. The 3 is slow on motorways of course but I just tuck behind a truck doing a steady 56mph and stay there.
 I keep the brakes of the series 3 in particularly good fettle though because of london drivers' modern habit of suddenly pulling out in front from side roads.
The only non standard accessory I have fitted is to the series 3 - a pair of high intensity commercial truck amber strobes at the back. I fitted these because I do a fair amount of driving on 'smart' motorways.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2023, 10:00:24 AM »

but what else ranks as 'must have' kit???  ???

Hi,

Maybe so necessary, and ubiquitus, that it was probably fitted for, or by, the first owner ... but I bet he had to pay for the priviledge. And I'm screwing up my courage to inform Barbara that I AM going to fit one on her Hyundai ....   I even had one on my Grey Fergie.

A TOW BALL (presumably, but not necessarily with a drop-plate and socket).

DogDave

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 7210
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2023, 10:08:37 AM »

If I was feeling mischievous would say the best accessory for dealing with the idiots that like to pull out from side roads without looking is a bull bar - bigger the better. Just the sight of it seems to make some of the bmw/audi drivers a bit more courteous. Sadly not all of them but it’s a start.

But on a more serious way - for me a leisure battery is number 1 - means any other toys like the fridge, lights, usb sockets etc all can be used without worrying about flattening the starter battery.

The other thing which is not an essential for most I guess but for me  is the awning - means the dogs have shade outside wherever we are - and nice to have some shelter when it’s raining without having to sit in the back - can cook without everything inside smelling of bacon butties etc etc.

I do plan to fit a diesel cab heater this year though at some point.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2023, 10:10:15 AM »

but what else ranks as 'must have' kit???  ???

Hi,

Maybe so necessary, and ubiquitus, that it was probably fitted for, or by, the first owner ... but I bet he had to pay for the priviledge. And I'm screwing up my courage to inform Barbara that I AM going to fit one on her Hyundai ....   I even had one on my Grey Fergie.

A TOW BALL (presumably, but not necessarily with a drop-plate and socket).

A tow ball I certainly have for hoiking stuff on a rope or chain if necessary.. I purposely didn't fit towing electrics as I have no intention of towing a trailer (on the road that is) and it's been a golden "get out clause" on odd occasions when people have tried to con me into towing stuff about that I'd really rather not!  :bright-idea

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2023, 10:19:45 AM »

I'm waiting for someone to post; An AA Breakdown Recovery Card

:AA
Who's a then ?

PetrolFour

• Gear shifter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 10:34:16 AM »

And a 50 gallon drum of EP90.

I keep the brakes of the series 3 in particularly good fettle though because of london drivers' modern habit of suddenly pulling out in front from side roads.
The only non standard accessory I have fitted is to the series 3 - a pair of high intensity commercial truck amber strobes at the back. I fitted these because I do a fair amount of driving on 'smart' motorways.

The 1950s brakes are my biggest bugbear. The rest I could live with, when words of "I've owned mine for XYZ years and they're fine", with never a mention of miles, I wonder. I must be unlucky, just as a new set of shoes would bed-in they'll start to pull again.Be it yet another hub-seal and new lands, or other reason, I've always failed to keep drums consistent. Working, [when they do], they're adequate, but they won't stay like this. Witness the numerous threads on this. I've rarely managed much over 2000 miles without 'something' needing doing...again.

This usually means yet another part-set of shoes to one corner, at least. And so it goes. At classic-miles fine,  choose to do the work on sunny Sundays. As a daily on something so safety critical - when I can't choose my moment, maybe it's just me, but I can't be doing.

And I like brakes to have a modern 'light-pedal' thus are progressive. Stock  are ON or OFF, with lots of effort. That'd be just me, i'm sure better than me are fine with them.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 10:48:27 AM »

I have also a Zeus front disc brake conversion on my Series 3.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

Maarten88

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 11:25:13 AM »

An AA ( or in my case ANWB) breakdown card:-)

Coat and all that...

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2023, 11:31:35 AM »

Hi,

If you've got it, flaunt it.

There used to be a very old car (can't remember what ... it's an age thing) in Croydon in the 1950s with "Born 1929" writ large on the rear.

So How about BORN 1967 (or whatever) transferred onto a secondary registration plate, on the the other rear corner .... perhaps safest if the wrong colour, or on a motor cycle sized plate. or WHY.   :whistle

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 19 queries.