S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 'All America Dollar Area' vs 'NADA'  (Read 833 times)

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
'All America Dollar Area' vs 'NADA'
« on: February 08, 2023, 07:54:43 PM »

Does anyone know what the difference is between the 'All America Dollar Area' and 'NADA' is?

There has to be a difference because I have sales brochures that specifically mention both in the same brochure.

:stars:agh
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

GHOBHW

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6817
  • .:
Re: 'All America Dollar Area' vs 'NADA'
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 07:59:32 PM »

just a wild guess, but seeing as NADA is north america dollar area, maybe the other is for the rest of the Americas? with some slipping to the USA anyway ???

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 08:05:51 PM »

California is different for emissions standards. 49 State V 50 State standards and has been for many years. I think its that bunch of hippies out on the West Coast who are causing your problem.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 08:16:48 PM »

California is different for emissions standards. 49 State V 50 State standards and has been for many years. I think its that bunch of hippies out on the West Coast who are causing your problem.

Not sure how this caused the creation of the AADA and NADA - but you are correct.  Toss in a couple other States as well.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 08:24:45 PM »

just a wild guess, but seeing as NADA is north america dollar area, maybe the other is for the rest of the Americas? with some slipping to the USA anyway ???

I looked into that possibility a few years back and found nothing to support it. 

But - based on what I have found, both tend to be exclusive to North America but not South America (can't prove that though). 

I do think that what everyone terms as 'NADA' for every Rover destined for the USA isn't correct though.  I don't even see the term 'NADA' used until 1965.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 09:03:12 PM »

Vehicles for Central and South America were often ckd kits, and the Spanish language countries were usually supplied with Santana's. The central/south America vehicles didn't get the special lights etc as seen up north.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 10:03:09 PM »

For grins-n-giggles...

Following are some pics of sales brochures for North America.  The first one is dated Sept 1963, no mention is made of the 'All America Dollar Area' or 'NADA' nor 'North America Spec'.  Closest thing to that is at the top of the 2nd pic and it says 'Mandatory Accessories U.S.A.' and it lists only two items.  There is no mention of the various light requirements, such as sealed beams on this, but they are mentioned in the '64 parts book.   

The first instance I have found of the use of 'NADA' and 'North America Spec' are in an Overseas Delivery Prices brochure from 1966; I've only found the 'All America Dollar Area' within the parts book dated 1964. 

Of interest, at least to me, the nomenclature 'N.A.D.A.' was only attached to one style of Rover here in North America and that was the 6-cylinder LWB Station Wagon built in 1967.

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 10:15:13 PM »

Not sure what was used prior to the 66/67 NADA, but later vehicles seem to have been described as "Federal".

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 10:53:32 PM »

In the original 1951 S1 w/s manual the term "North American vehicles" is used.
.W.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 12:18:02 AM »

When did Santana get the monopoly on supplying South and Central American markets, that might be a pointer ?

Were there other markets where the $ was the invoice currency ?  It might be that this is not an "Americas" issue at all - were vehicles sent to the Middle East invoiced in $$ for example ?   
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 01:45:53 AM »

Hi 

Land rover only built 811 NADA land rovers, the term nada seems to get applied in error to to any land rover that came to north America.

A true NADA  came only in 109 inch wheelbase station wagons powered by a 2.6L 6 cylinder petrol engine with a "Weslake" cylinder  head, 8.8:1 compression ratio, 2 inch SU carb, 2 inch exhaust and produced about 125 HP. NADAs also had wider front brake drums (to handle all the power), a remote power brake booster and a vinyl dash board as well as a few other vinyl vanity pieces on the dash. They had a C-42 generator (30 amps) and heated windscreens and were produced from 1966 to 1969, with all of them sharing the same 1967 specifications (like headlights in the grill and wide sills.

*Note my NADA has the optional oil bath air filter instead of the twin inlet muffler looking paper filter style most Nadas came equipped with (Although I do have that ugly muffler style air filter).  I just wanted a  proper land rover oil bath air filter instead.*

https://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.chassis_numbering.343.html

Victor.
1962 Dormobile (in the family since 1964)
1969 Nada Dormobile

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 01:52:01 AM »

.W.

But not 'All America Dollar Area' or 'NADA' nor 'North America Spec'.  BUT - that very well could be the precursor to the terms.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 02:15:22 AM »

Hi 

Land rover only built 811 NADA land rovers, the term nada seems to get applied in error to to any land rover that came to north America.

A true NADA  came only in 109 inch wheelbase station wagons powered by a 2.6L 6 cylinder petrol engine with a "Weslake" cylinder  head, 8.8:1 compression ratio, 2 inch SU carb, 2 inch exhaust and produced about 125 HP. NADAs also had wider front brake drums (to handle all the power), a remote power brake booster and a vinyl dash board as well as a few other vinyl vanity pieces on the dash. They had a C-42 generator (30 amps) and heated windscreens and were produced from 1966 to 1969, with all of them sharing the same 1967 specifications (like headlights in the grill and wide sills.

https://www.lrfaq.org/Series/FAQ.S.chassis_numbering.343.html

Victor.

Yes and no. 

As I mentioned before the 6-cylinder LWB Station Wagon built in 1967 was the only one that had the nomenclature 'N.A.D.A.' attached to its name.

As you can see within the pics attached earlier, 'NADA' and 'North America Spec' are used to indicate the litany of requirements for the North American market, mainly the US.  The earliest I found were the 2 items required in the '63 brochure, but the terms 'NADA' and 'North America Spec' are not mentioned, instead, 'Mandatory Accessories U.S.A.' is used. So, every Rover from at least late 1965 and 1966 would be considered NADA.

You point out that "...the term nada seems to get applied in error to to any land rover that came to north America" - I fully agree, to an extent.

Once those items required for importation into North America became codified, and known as the 'North America Spec' and 'NADA', all of the Rovers imported afterwards could be called "NADA Rovers" because they meet those requirements and separates them from the UK home market and the rest of the world markets.

My '63 doesn't have all of those codified requirements so, IMHO, Grover isn't a NADA Rover, but an 'Export Rover'.  Yet I appear to be about the only North American who believes this way; as you point out everyone else seems to think ALL Rovers imported to North America are NADA.  This is one reason I always ask "what year" when someone says they have a NADA Rover.

IMHO - there is a very obvious item that denotes non-NADA Rovers and NADA Rovers in North America, it also tends to mark a difference between the early IIa and late IIa - the headlights. 

island dormy

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 04:48:50 AM »

Hi Correus

Its all very confusing to me, even some of the discos get called nadas.  :stars

Victor

biloxi

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 05:27:26 AM »

.W.
Example from the 61 S2 manual.
.W.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 19 queries.