S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Beats me? How can we possibly complain at prices for the majority of parts?  (Read 4095 times)

100+9

Clearly the majority won't agree, but I'm ever left aghast at how cheap most parts are. All I hear is bleating about prices. I could pick a hundred examples too.
I've jsut bought a new steering relay for £60. I mean £60, and that's delivered!

Jeez, it cost a clear £7-10 to send the thing, then there was the VAT, the seller's eBay shafting and card -Paypal fees etc. That is one stonking miracle of a price. If you think not, put your money down and try to make one. If you're at under £6-7000 for your first, you've done very, very well. Then you've got to sit about with a heap of them, waiting to first get your money back, and then maybe, maybe make a profit? Fancy it? Money to follow mouth mind....

Have you looked at car-parts prices for anything modern? If it was a similar component fora eurobox, it'd be £400-500. I quote the steering relay, and it may not be a good example, but you get my point.

You might have issue with the quality, but how in all that's holy can we ever argue at the prices we pay for so many of our parts. Nonetheless, many do?

We are so lucky. I think the answer to complaints in this arena can only have the one response. This might involve a cattle-prod...

We are damned lucky.

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!

I'd agree, many common parts are available at a very good price, cars like series LRs and Morris Minor's, minis, etc have a sufficiently numerous following to make it worth while for firms to source and supply parts for them.
The stupid prices I laugh at come from those who try and flog bits and bobs off scrapper LRs on ebay for absurd  money, tho whether they ever actually sell is debatable to unlikely, (ditto the insanely priced complete vehicles you see on there)

rustylandrovers

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4871
  • .:
  • forumite formerly known as suffixb
    • rustylandrovers

Have we done a formal 'welcome back' party yet?  :-*
pictures, and words

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:

Beats me? How can we possibly complain at prices for the majority of parts?

... I don't think anyone is ???
Who's a then ?

landycyd

• Chassis welder
  • .:

If you think your paying too much your not doing your research.
I am doing a nut and bolt restoration of a Series 2 and have created a Excel sheet for every part I need to purchase.
I list the part number description, supplier and price Inc. VAT and then when it all filled in sort the list from low to high. You would be surprised how a simple bolt can cost 3 times as much from some Suppliers and I have 18 suppliers on my list to pick from. I must have saved a £1000 by now, its tedious work but beneficial

AlexB

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 4139
  • .:

:)

No. No-one that I  know is complaining about price of parts

You must have dreamt it.  :cactus
"Ne jetez plus ! Ce qui est inutile pour vous, est utile pour les autres" Abbé Pierre

gilbo

• Master of the oils

No, but maybe there is a 'not so' golden goodbye looming?

geoff

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:

:-X :-X :whistle :whistle :-X :-X

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:

:-X :-X :whistle :whistle :-X :-X
Geoff - post No 7 on this thread + another 10 we should be there. :cool :agh :tiphat Any one commented on the H t lead thread - there's a price to discuss.

100+9

Really? I read price-carping. Generally I mean.
Yes, I read price-carping. All the more if we bring in the more desirable used parts?
You know the kinda thing… overdrives, some trim pieces, certain engines, anything S1, one ton and FC parts, mech-winches and PTO bits blah.

Yes, there’s quite a lot of chancers… however look closely and for a  sellers-market, most of that stuff is snapped-up so fast, this can only serve as evidence this stuff is cheap.

When a ‘Boxed Old stock Brake cylinder’ fetches £400 I don’t have much sympathy. Anyone paying £400 for a part you can buy via Britpart for £25 is admitting they don’t intend to use it anyway.

Hardly a week passes before somebody complains a part isn’t made, and thinks the tooling for small batches should cost pennies.. I suppose, from the perspective of serviceable slave-cylinders for £7 delivered, anything could look pricey.

Then there’s the ‘What is a fair price to pay for X?’ threads. This is always code for ‘fair to the OP’, and the answers always come back at 25% of what ‘said’ article sells for anyway.

Lest we forget thrreads running about paying £100 odd for insurance? You wouldn’t believe this possible but it’s true. When other road-users pay anything between £450 and in my son’s case £3400, I’m not sure what the right price is expected to be? You have to chuckle, the tight-wad nature of the LR community keeps clubs poor… you know it’s true.

I’ve had to pay mad prices for used parts, but overall I’m vastly up.  I’ve just unloaded some FC bits at £excessive, and still fought buyers off. You win some, you lose others.

Anyone that’s had leafers much over 20-30 years, has heaps of kit by default.
My father and grandfather before me, I made a point of collecting way back.

When we can get a steering-relay for £60 delivered, we can hardly whinge where a PTO unit costs £crazy. It’s a bit rich to bitch, when our kind can unload our stash for a helluva lot more.

Unless you want an obscure factory option, or some such, we can stick to readily available cheap parts. Admit it, you likely want. but don’t need, that obscure and pricey part anyway?

And don’t ‘come it’ either! If you sold-up tomorrow, are you saying you’d sell your ‘galved everything’ S2 for £800? You know damned well it’d sell all day long at £12.000+ If yours is bright, double.

When you see that one of a kind hydraulic rearward facing PTO mower ‘doowacky’ at £4000, and you want it, you know what to do. Simply admit  in 1974 when the others were  ‘weighed-in’, you were too idle to find it. Now it’s rare, you won’t see another, and you can hold it today. Shut-up with your bitchin’… don’t come on here cryin’. “It’s NOT worth that?!” . It is. Don’t cry to us about you £120 insurance premium either. Pay the man.

You can get steering-relays for £60 for crissakes.

We’re very, very lucky.

2DieselMan

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4082
  • .:
Beats me? How can we possibly complain at prices for the majority of parts?
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2019, 09:03:26 AM »

The issue to me is not about the price of new replacement parts which are readily available......But the Quality of these parts which were designed and manufactured perfectly well over 50 years ago......But not simply don't fit! 

A few examples I have experienced recently and the suppliers response is 'well no one else have ever complained and we sell 1,000'd!'

- SWB Fuel Tanks - Filling Spout is 3/4" too far forward! It should be on the rear edge!
- Front Axle Sub-Shafts - UJ Cipclip groves in the wrong place! 

So I guess we only have ourselves to blame as we are far too good at making do and mending incorrect parts!

So I guess that is why NOS New Old Stock parts which are of the original quality and fit without modification and work as they should fetch silly money.    Although sometime you can find a bargin!

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
Re: Beats me? How can we possibly complain at prices for the majority of parts?
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 09:10:04 AM »

There was a thread on the old forum with regard to relays and the issues of buying cheap - if I remember correctly the centre shaft was snapping in half which could lead to a very nasty accident - so cheap does not necessarily me quality.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2019, 09:10:25 AM »

How many of us are aware of this site?

https://www.lrworkshop.com/

Worth every penny of a subscription if you’re doing a lot of work, and even the free setup is priceless IMHO.

And I agree 100%, the prices we pay for parts are a pittance compared with most other vehicles.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

milesr3

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5346
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2019, 09:53:29 AM »

When a ‘Boxed Old stock Brake cylinder’ fetches £400 I don’t have much sympathy. Anyone paying £400 for a part you can buy via Britpart for £25 is admitting they don’t intend to use it anyway.

Eh?

The Britpart £25 brake master cylinders are great value for money on the face of  it, but they all fail after three or four years. This is terrible when you consider how long the OE parts have lasted. Factor in the time and effort they take to swap, a litre of brake fluid and a better quality part starts to make sense... But there is no better quality part available because the race to the bottom in pricing means that we get parts that aren't cleaned of machining residue before assembly with poor quality rubber seals.

Parts are too cheap, not too expense.

I paid over £200 for a NOS master cylinder, not because I don't intend to use it but because I fitted two Bearmach parts that failed within 24 hrs and doused the recently painted footwell in brake fluid. The cost of this was far greater than the price of the part. The cost of having brake failure would be greater still.

I'd argue that if you paid £60 for a steering relay then it's because you don't intend to drive it.

100+9

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2019, 10:14:22 AM »

I'd argue that if you paid £60 for a steering relay then it's because you don't intend to drive it.

I kinda see your logic! And agree. We're not paying enough, yet we don't hear that complaint! We get what we ask for. Mintex yes, but I've yet to see anything from Britpart that is truly dangerous.

I too had issues last year with a tank not fitting. Did I send it back? Nope, of course not. I know damned well the proper item, fabricated with what will be two-days labour, all from fresh-sheet will run me £7-800, and if I wanted S/S, still more. I made it fit. We get what we pay for, and I paid £120 for a tank. It was too cheap, and even before seeing it,  I knew it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 20 queries.