S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FWH, How much ?  (Read 462 times)

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
FWH, How much ?
« on: May 03, 2023, 08:52:07 PM »

Now that my hubs have been returned to standard, I thought it about time I sold the Selectro. Or at least tried.
As explained in previous posts one side does not work, due to a broken spring/tang.
I have had a look on the usual suspect sites but can find non for sale in the UK. Found some in Australia and Canada, so not really helpful.
Anyone have an idea of what I could ask ?

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
Re: FWH, How much ?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 08:54:59 PM »

Ask what you think you would like for them. What someone else would buy them for is their decision.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 08:57:15 PM »

A few years ago I sold 2 sets of Fairey ones, I got £150 per set.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Mycroft

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 09:00:00 PM »

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2023, 09:29:24 PM »

Well I would 'like' a Million Pounds for them. I may have to wait a while. 😁
Know what you mean, but I would rather cast my net where someone may bite.
JG, where did you find that Ebay ad' ? I did a search but came up with zilch.  :cheers
So from your deductions I will hope for £50 - £70. Coming to a forum near you soon . . .

Mycroft

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2023, 09:32:42 PM »

I clicked 'completed items' on the left hand menu. It tends to go back a couple of months, so you get more hits. As you rightly deduce, they tend to go for a lot lower if not fully functioning   :cheers

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 08:01:41 AM »

Hi,

At the time I married Barbara (so nearly 60 years ago), I was driving a 1953 Rover 60 (60BHP ... maybe. 1998cc 4-pot P3 engine).

The first gallon of petrol I put in ran out after 10 miles ... I assume there was already some gas in the tank when I bought it.  I did struggle, one journey home from camp, coasting in freewheel mode, slip-streaming coaches, etc, got it up to 30mpg, but it was a struggle.

The freewheel unit was mounted on the back of the gearbox, selected by a big knob on the dashboard.

Occasionally, I ponder on the possibility of fitting such a freewheel device on BOTH ends of a Land Rover transfer box.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 08:05:22 AM »

My Dormobile came from England with a pair of Selectros on it. But they leaked oil from the dial. The "V" seals needed replacing and I didn't know where to find them. I know more now and could probably find something that works. But back then I swapped the hubs with a friend for a round heater that needed reconditioned.

You'd get the most money if you show photos of the clean insides and that the dials don't leak. Also the sharp 3-bladed spring inside tends to break, so show photos indicating that this is intact on each hub, or text to that effect. Offering fresh split pins, drive member joint washers and wool washers might not hurt either?

Though Selectros seem to have been common on later 2A's, I think that many prefer the aesthetic of the MAP, and its "britishness", so it commands a higher price. I'd think half the price of MAP's.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2023, 09:59:03 AM »

I clicked 'completed items' on the left hand menu. It tends to go back a couple of months, so you get more hits. As you rightly deduce, they tend to go for a lot lower if not fully functioning   :cheers
Thanks. I will have to try and remember that.

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2023, 10:07:50 AM »

My Dormobile came from England with a pair of Selectros on it. But they leaked oil from the dial. The "V" seals needed replacing and I didn't know where to find them. I know more now and could probably find something that works. But back then I swapped the hubs with a friend for a round heater that needed reconditioned.

You'd get the most money if you show photos of the clean insides and that the dials don't leak. Also the sharp 3-bladed spring inside tends to break, so show photos indicating that this is intact on each hub, or text to that effect. Offering fresh split pins, drive member joint washers and wool washers might not hurt either?

Though Selectros seem to have been common on later 2A's, I think that many prefer the aesthetic of the MAP, and its "britishness", so it commands a higher price. I'd think half the price of MAP's.
Thanks. Unfortunately one of the 3 spring tangs is broken, but I have explained that in the Ad'.
They did not leak and when I removed to check I made a gasket using thin card. PO had used copious amounts of what looked like exhaust sealer.
With cover off I was able to operate by hand and did consider locking them permanently in place using 'Heath Robinson' techniques.
I have started on Gumtree for £75, see how I go then put them on here for less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 18 queries.