S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I’ll probably forget tomorrow, so Happy 60th Registration day…  (Read 482 times)

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5597
  • .:

…to Roary (Funder) - my ‘88 :gren_hinges

I would not like to hazard a guess as to which bits were part of the vehicle at the time of first registration though..l.

Oilyrag921

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 8113
  • .:
Re: I’ll probably forget tomorrow, so Happy 60th Registration day…
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 08:18:53 AM »

Happy 60th, keep it going with new or old parts so long as it works.  Nice picture but I'm glad to see the back of that weather for now.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2023, 04:25:44 AM »

Happy 60th!!!  Grover turned 60 this year as well.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 04:15:00 PM »

Had a good 40-odd mile drive around the Forth (where we live) to celebrate his registration day. Fuel consumption rather high (and struggling a bit on hills) - turns out the handbrake is still dragging slightly after working on the transfer box…

…but that is but nothing to the excitement I had parking on my sloping drive with a neighbours visitor somewhat inconsiderately parking directly across the road and restricting my manoeuvring options…

…transmission brake connecting rod snapped! I guess the shoes must have engaged a bit as the vehicle eased forward (I always leave it in gear as well…) as I started to get out. If it had slipped out of gear I wouldn’t have been able to stop it before it rolled into the parked car - and I’d already locked the pedals!

Decided to play it safe and phoned for my partner to come back out and get one of my chocks out of the back of the vehicle (couldn’t reach one from the drivers seat.

….I suppose I coulda/Shoulda just fired it back up and driven to a safe flat bit of road to investigate - didn’t think of this at the time.

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 06:55:56 PM »

Wow Miles, that is a failure point I've never seen before. Maybe the PO had gorilla strength and had somehow stretched the rod to almost breaking point.
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Betsy1969

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5469
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2023, 07:52:29 AM »

…transmission brake connecting rod snapped! I guess the shoes must have engaged a bit as the vehicle eased forward (I always leave it in gear as well…) as I started to get out. If it had slipped out of gear I wouldn’t have been able to stop it before it rolled into the parked car - and I’d already locked the pedals!

My late uncle had Landrovers back in the 60’s - 70’s, I didn’t appreciate it at the time though as I was only a kid but his last one was a green 109 Station Wagon , beautiful. Any way he looked out of the window one day to see an empty driveway where it should have been parked , after some panic and running outside he spotted it in his neighbour’s drive across the main road neatly parked. It turned out to a failure in the handbrake linkage somewhere and not being in gear hand slowly rolled itself across the main road to visit the neighbours and come to rest on their level driveway , no damage at all to property or car luckily.

By the time I got my first 88 in the late eighties he had long since moved on from the green oval to a Volvo. I asked a couple of years before his passing if he had any parts or manuals etc leftover but sadly all that was left was Landrover key ring which now proudly adorns my keys

Andy

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2023, 08:19:33 AM »

Wow Miles, that is a failure point I've never seen before. Maybe the PO had gorilla strength and had somehow stretched the rod to almost breaking point.

I’ll remove and inspect it when it dries up a bit. Hard to tell but it looked like it might have cracked and corroded. The PO made any number of mistakes when rebuilding the vehicle and was an agricultural chap - wouldn’t surprise me to find the connecting rod is not actually a genuine part and has been fabricated out of modern cheese-steel!

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2023, 12:27:53 PM »

Thought so! Proper bodge job - PO welded a bit of threaded rod together….

MWAD7

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2023, 06:53:24 PM »

It gets better!

Went to fit the new rod today and wanted to use the nuts from the old bodged one…

Turns out PO welded a metric thread on one end to imperial on the other end! :thud
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.