S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Land Rovers - First and Last?  (Read 961 times)

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Land Rovers - First and Last?
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2023, 09:20:05 PM »

Its all Land Rover - love it or loath it!
Don't underestimate the current Defender. It is a formidable tool in the right hands. In the wrong hands its just an embarrassment...

As I see it, this is really about what we regard as the archetypal Land Rover. That is such an individual perception, that there is no simple answer. Using this forum to vote is very likely to result in an overwhelming lean towards the older stuff and that's entirely understandable.

As an ex-Rover Group, BMW, Premier Automotive Group and JLR employee, I regard it as simple. In October 2008, JLR were hours from going to the wall. The solution was change or die. They changed - moving the brands up market using the premium price, premium product mentality. That saved JLR. It's not the same company I worked for and since that period, the mentality has changed totally. I came in on the end of the greats like Roger Crathorne and all those individuals who had pretty much grown up with the company. You don't get appreciated for long service in one organisation anymore. You therefore don't get a sense of honour and responsibility which we all had. The world has changed. Its not to my liking, but thankfully I'm not working in that rat race any more and can largely pick and chose who I work for these days. End result is cars designed for style over function and that doesn't work for me.

Were I pushed to make a call on the OP's question, I'd say that the L319 chassis (Discovery 3 / Discovery 4) was one of the best platforms we ever had. I've been all over the world in Discovery 3s and 4s and never cease to be amazed as to their functionality, off-road ability, carrying ability, towing ability and durability. That to me ticks many of the boxes that formed the basis of the original Land Rover.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2023, 09:26:41 PM »

…..that’s interesting……I love the shape of the disco 3 and 4 but have no driving experience of them and would be too scared to own one

Mycroft

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2023, 09:29:31 PM »

I have to agree. It wasn't 3 years post-Series 1 launch before the Wilks brothers turned their attention to the Road Rover, a rugged station wagon with less outright off-road ability. The seeds of diversification were sown very early on and are part of the DNA imv. Not that I've owned anything other than Series 2s and 3s mind!

22900013A

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 7404
    • 1 Ton Land-Rovers
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2023, 09:36:39 PM »

If we go back to the original design brief of the Land Rover, to be a utility vehicle for farming and light industry, with power take offs everywhere.. then it began with the series 1 and ended in 2016 with the last Defender. None of the other products fitted that brief, no matter how capable they may have been.
I'm bemused by the idea that somehow the TD5 and TDCI Defenders are somehow not "proper". Even the Tdi was very electronic when compared with a series which was largely mechanical.
The new Defender is very much a Discovery in spirit, which makes perfect sense when you consider the current Discovery as a Freelander replacement. Not personally interested in anything JLR are making now, my prerogative and nothing wrong in that, I'm likewise not much interested in anything else currently in production either.

I do wonder why JLR felt they couldn't follow in the footsteps of a company like Mercedes-Benz, known for premium motor cars *and* as the biggest producer of commercial vehicles in the world, with neither doing disservice to to the other. Going back 10/15 years the impression from JLR was that the Defender somehow "cheapened" the brand, which I've never understood.
1966 88 "
1969 109 " 1-Ton
1972 109 " 1-Ton
2011 Defender 110

The Shed

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 33
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2023, 10:17:56 PM »

I would go for the Freelander 2 as the last of the real LandRovers.
Still fairly basic mechanically and looks like a LandRover. Not the best off-roader but does enough for most.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2023, 06:17:57 PM »

Were I pushed to make a call on the OP's question, I'd say that the L319 chassis (Discovery 3 / Discovery 4) was one of the best platforms we ever had. I've been all over the world in Discovery 3s and 4s and never cease to be amazed as to their functionality, off-road ability, carrying ability, towing ability and durability. That to me ticks many of the boxes that formed the basis of the original Land Rover.

DW, I like the Discovery 3 and 4, but not for any of the reasons you give.

I just like the look of them.

Does that make me a Land Rover tart? :agh  :-X
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2023, 08:03:48 PM »

Absolutely!  :first

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2023, 05:17:56 PM »

:-\  The best LR has to be the unicorn centersteer, It was a mountain goat on the trails and the hayload was way beyond any farm vehicle of it's time. Anything after that is a poor imitation...... :thud

If ya can't tell I'm just funning ya! :tiphat
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 21 queries.