S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First / Last Overland coming home  (Read 2263 times)

stigomery

First / Last Overland coming home
« on: September 07, 2019, 09:53:12 PM »

Has anyone heard anything about any arrival back in the UK plans for this Singapore to London trip in Oxford?

Seems like the perfect opportunity for a mass rally of Series vehicles, albeit it could bring the South East to a grinding halt  ;)

I'm guessing something has been thought out but I've not seen or heard anything... anyone?

Stig

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
Re: First / Last Overland coming home
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 10:30:31 PM »

Stig
Im sure ive read somewhere that they are after as many land rovers as possible to great them. When they set off from Singapore they put out a request for land rovers. I dont do other social media as such, but are you able to check out there various different social media pages?
Is the south east not generally in a grid lock?
Andy
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

overlander

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 146
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »

I understand that there is every likelihood that there will be a greeting party in wait at Dover towards the end of November - although IMHO it might have to be sooner than that, barring breakdowns and natural disasters! Having followed the progress of Oxford from when it left Singapore to date - they are in Bagan, Burma tonight, I am surprised at the lack of interest in this trip from 'western' Land Rover fans compared with enthusiasts from the countries they have travelled through so far - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Burma - Myanmar as it is now called. Maybe when they get into the 'stans' interest will be triggered?

JohnH
SO and FOF
Serial Overlander and First Overland Fanatic

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 05:49:52 PM »

John,  there is nothing in the media I've seen. I watch Sky News- UK, ABC- AU and ABC- USA, CBS- USA.

The Grouse

• Chassis welder
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 08:30:50 AM »

I understand that there is every likelihood that there will be a greeting party in wait at Dover towards the end of November - although IMHO it might have to be sooner than that, barring breakdowns and natural disasters! Having followed the progress of Oxford from when it left Singapore to date - they are in Bagan, Burma tonight, I am surprised at the lack of interest in this trip from 'western' Land Rover fans compared with enthusiasts from the countries they have travelled through so far - Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and Burma - Myanmar as it is now called. Maybe when they get into the 'stans' interest will be triggered?

JohnH
SO and FOF
Serial Overlander and First Overland Fanatic
I think the reason there is little interest in this is because its not uncommon. My brother has just done the same trip,mostly alone in his 1967 109IIA. Before that he and his then girlfriend did a lap of Australia in it. No website,no sponsors - Just get on with it. There are plenty of people doing big trips in less suitable vehicles. My brother did meet up with the Czech group doing a round the world trip in 3 Trabants,making a TV series as they went along,

Rob Will

• 1968 SWB & 1972 MGB!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 12:13:51 PM »

The homecoming date for  Oxfords Last overland is set for next Saturday 14th December on the Harbour Arm in Folkestone.
See link for details, but I understand that the free parking for Land Rovers is running low.
https://t.co/rUNqU8OhwX?amp=1
I plan to make the trip across from Dorset 170 miles seems quite inconsequential considering the distances these guys have travelled from Singapore!

Sheepman

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4270
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2019, 07:45:07 PM »

The South East is already gridlocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 20 queries.