S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Postage of parts from abroad OT  (Read 12235 times)

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
Re: Postage of parts from abroad OT
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »

You'd think there would be a picture of one somewhere.. ???  If you're drilling out and re tapping a thread, you'll probably have to go a bit oversize anyway so could choose another nearest but easy available thread for your 'repro'...

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 6533
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 02:18:12 AM »

There is a huge jump in US postal charges between a letter and a small packet.

There is a particular part I need which is only available in the US (it's the stop pin for the butterfly on the swan neck manifold). It is essentially a bolt, about an inch long and a quarter inch thick, so with an envelope it will be just over the quarter inch. The part is about $1.50 and if it could go as a letter it would be about the same to send, but because it is over the quarter inch it will be $36 to ship it here  :agh

I am still looking for other options...

Alec

Do you have a part number?  I know someone who might be able to help.
'63 SIIa 88 Station Wagon named Grover

Mpudi: So how did the land rover get up the tree?
Steyn: Do you know she has flowers on her panties?
Mpudi: So that's how it got up the tree.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2019, 07:08:21 AM »

Alec
Try messaging 58Paul he may have missed this thread but he has lots of early bits he may be able to get you a proper photo.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2019, 10:00:50 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Correus - part number is 247819 Stop pin for adjusting plate.

I will also drop 58Paul a PM.

Alec

Gertie

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 3798
  • .:
  • 1969 109" SW
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2019, 10:32:26 PM »

In business I ship to the USA using UPS.  The service is very good but you pay for it - eye watering.  Royal Mail is cheap but takes longer and is less reliable and there is no proof of delivery.  UPS is fairly foolproof.  Given that people are happy to try and be less than genuine, in the belief that defrauding a company is victim-less (it isn't) then it has to be UPS with proof of delivery every time despite that this means the cost is much much greater given the difference in shipping.  Of course it is only 1 in 100 that are less than honest but nevertheless this 1 in 100 mean everyone else has to pay the higher. with evidence, shipping. 

So part of the reason for high shipping is the high service level of the shipping, just to be sure.

Paul

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 03:08:37 AM »

Alec

Thanks, let me see what I can find out.

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 03:15:59 AM »

Alec

Is this the item?  Description says "stop", but not much else.

https://www.lrdirect.com/247819-Stop/

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 08:52:04 AM »

I've found a picture, small and indistinct, in the parts list 'Series II & IIA Bonneted Control. Jan 58, Rev'd Oct 1961. Part 4187.'.
Do you have access to that, or similar?

Regards.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 10:31:35 AM »

Any good?

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »

Thanks All,

Correus - yes it is that part, but the statement 'subject to LR stock' turns out to mean that they do not have it in stock, and neither do LR so this route doesn't work unfortunately. The usual suspects in the UK do not have one; in fact, the only supplier I can find is Atlantic British (roverparts.com) who have confirmed that they have one, and the price is reasonable, but they can't sort shipping for less than $36.00 (for a small stop pin  :agh), which brings us back on topic.

David & Old Hywel - thanks for the pictures & reference. I do have a copy of the October 1960 parts catalogue which shows the same, ie a constant diameter pin, threaded at one end and slotted at the other.  The problem is that for it to function I need to get the diameter right and unusually for a S2 part, the thread is not stated or I could use that information to get the diameter. My ideal approach would be running a tap through the rust which should, if I am lucky, just clear it out, but for that I need to know which tap to use (diameter and BSF or UNF). If not, to make a single part replacement I need to know the diameter as I will need to tap the hole oversize and then turn down the exposed part of the pin to the correct size. I could do this by trial and error, but would prefer not to.

Given how cheap the part is, it would be worth just buying one and putting in a solid insert to repair the thread if necessary, were it not for the cost of shipping from the US being so high (thread back on topic...)

Alec

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »

Correus - yes it is that part, but the statement 'subject to LR stock' turns out to mean that they do not have it in stock, and neither do LR so this route doesn't work unfortunately. The usual suspects in the UK do not have one; in fact, the only supplier I can find is Atlantic British (roverparts.com) who have confirmed that they have one, and the price is reasonable, but they can't sort shipping for less than $36.00 (for a small stop pin  :agh), which brings us back on topic.

Okay, I was mainly trying to find a pic and that was the first thing that popped up.

However - how would $1.00 US be?

The main guy I buy from has it, but he can be slow.  Shipping cost to me is probably about $4 to $5 dollars per his automated system.  With it being just a bolt.  He is good at charging ONLY the actual shipping cost.  I have gotten many shipping refunds from him when the automated system over charged. 

Here is the link to Trevor's website.

https://rovahfarm.com/

You could send him an email to confirm he has it and check the availability.  If shipping is still high let me know.  I could have it shipped to me and then ship it to you and we could split the difference.

If he doesn't have it let me know and I'll poke the other guy who might. 

Is this mainly a S1 and S2 item?

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2019, 11:52:55 PM »

However - how would $1.00 US be?

The main guy I buy from has it, but he can be slow.  Shipping cost to me is probably about $4 to $5 dollars per his automated system.  With it being just a bolt.  He is good at charging ONLY the actual shipping cost.  I have gotten many shipping refunds from him when the automated system over charged. 

Here is the link to Trevor's website.

https://rovahfarm.com/

You could send him an email to confirm he has it and check the availability.  If shipping is still high let me know.  I could have it shipped to me and then ship it to you and we could split the difference.

If he doesn't have it let me know and I'll poke the other guy who might. 

Is this mainly a S1 and S2 item?

Thanks, I hadn't found this supplier. I have dropped Trevor an email and will see what he says. Yes, it's an S1/S2 item - not sure where it went on the S1 but on the S2 it is the stop pin for the butterfly valve which was only fitted to the early exhaust manifolds, both the infamous "swan neck" manifold and its immediate successor. I think it was dropped completely around 1962.

Alec

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2019, 12:09:13 AM »

Thanks, I hadn't found this supplier. I have dropped Trevor an email and will see what he says. Yes, it's an S1/S2 item - not sure where it went on the S1 but on the S2 it is the stop pin for the butterfly valve which was only fitted to the early exhaust manifolds, both the infamous "swan neck" manifold and its immediate successor. I think it was dropped completely around 1962.

Alec

Thanks for the info.  If Trevor doesn't actually have it in stock let me know.  The other guy I know is a S1 guy.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »

Have heard back from Trevor - apparently he last had one 10yrs ago.

Alec

Larry S.

• S2C Member
  • .:
  • a.k.a. Correus
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »

Have heard back from Trevor - apparently he last had one 10yrs ago.

Alec

Let me check with the other guy.  I'll see how much it costs to ship to me from AB.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 19 queries.