S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1959 Land Rover on More4 tonight 9pm.  (Read 6823 times)

Dave M

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5175
  • .:
  • S2C North West Area Rep
Re: 1959 Land Rover on More4 tonight 9pm.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2020, 11:00:57 PM »

Watched it all, not much resto and seems like they've tried to make it more like Top Gear.

Hope the rest of the series is more like previous series

Ian59

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2020, 11:13:58 PM »

Oh dear... car SOS I think you need to send out an SOS.
Personally I really liked the original series (only because of Fuzz) I never saw the point of the stupid stunts of pretending to blag parts cheap but this is appalling.
Virtually gone are the detailed parts of the restoration with Fuzz showing what he was was doing and explaining along the way.
The ‘blag’ that Tim pulls is more contrived than ever and is just pointless. It descended into farce when he grabbed a shopping trolley to load all the parts required for the restoration of the 59 series 2 and one of the first things he loaded into the trolley was a coil spring!!
I’m really pleased that the old gent who’s vehicle it was, was really pleased with the result.
But I felt it was a shame as they took a vehicle which he had owned from brand new and had clearly been extremely well looked after, so had lots of patina and history and promptly restored it to ‘as new’.

As for the format of the show, they have clearly decided to emulate Top Gear, with the whole live audience around the stage look and the stupid stunts of playing conkers with an old Freelander and CRV.

Sorry gents, I’m really not impressed with the format of these ‘specials’ go back to the original show and while your there stop the silly ‘blags’ and focus on the detail of the restoration and by all means the human story behind them but quit the dumb stunts.

Just my personal opinion, I’m sure you have your own but I don’t think I’m alone!

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »

:ditto

Couldn't have worded a review of the programme better.

I think "blagging" parts like that is plain wrong - it gives the wrong impression - I don't like it  :shakeinghead
Who's a then ?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2020, 04:37:48 AM »

Hi,

Did I miss them draining the 20 year (?) old petrol out of the tank? Or changing the 20 year old tyres ... I think it's an offence in EU-land, to have tyres more than five years old on your car. Tyres are date marked. Do Controle Technique check the spare?

Many years ago, there was a roaring trade in "quality" part-worn tyres ... reputedly brought over from Germany.

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2020, 05:46:42 AM »

Told you  :tiphat You should have seen the uproar when it first came out  :agh

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2020, 07:54:33 AM »

I’m sticking with it but so far you haven’t missed anything......
Coming back this morning, to the discussion, not the programme,  the only point of interest I saw in my short viewing was the wrapped front springs, and I wondered if they survived.
... But I felt it was a shame as they took a vehicle which he had owned from brand new and had clearly been extremely well looked after, so had lots of patina and history and promptly restored it to ‘as new’.
Judging by that, perhaps they didn't.

Regards

maindy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6599
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »

Should have gone to bed at ten and not stayed up for the second showing, they really did spoil what was a nice looking vehicle, dont get me wrong i would love to have a vehicle looking like the end result sat on my drive but i would be afraid to use it.
phil.

GreasedMonkey

• Chassis welder
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »

Erm, yes, well........ 

SWMBO says if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.  Here Endeth my review of said program.

I would also like to point out that I only gave the shout that it was on telly. You all wasted that 2 hours of your own free will and I am not responsible for that.

Hope the actual series is better.

Davidss

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 2241
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 11:14:14 AM »

... I would also like to point out that I only gave the shout that it was on telly. You all wasted that 2 hours of your own free will and I am not responsible for that. ...
Oh I think I was aware that it might not be to my taste; perhaps I was subconciously predisposed to bail out early!
I attach no blame to the shout you gave, like you say, I applied my own freewill, both to attend and leave :-)

Regards.

MineRover

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4451
  • .:
  • 1967 88" & 1964 109"
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 01:47:57 PM »

I think (Hope) this was a one off special and the rest of the series follows the usual format, just a shame that a S2 was the vehicle on this 'special' would have been more appropriate if the vehicle involved had been a dust cart or an Allegro :whistle

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5393
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2020, 02:21:23 PM »

I think I would have been devastated to find what they'd done to it if it had been my car.

Oh, and a big clue why it might not have started - that copy carburettor might have been the culprit ...
Tim

Fluffle-Valve

• Carawagon Owner
  • S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 2919
  • .:
  • So Love me, Love my Dogs.
    • Blogspot
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:47 PM »

I'll not bother watching it again. I've got better things to do with my time. :coffee
This is my Dormawagon.

Series2ajosh

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5408
  • .:
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2020, 01:00:08 AM »

I watched both episodes, and have to say I really wasn't impressed, for a 'live' show as they said about every 5 minutes, it was all too scripted and hardly anything about the land rover, They just kept going off on tangents playing conkers  :thud

The bit that had me shaking my head was when Tim was trying 'blag' the parts, then promptly put a coil spring in his trolley   >:(

The actual restoration of the vehicle was extremely brief, probably about 10 minutes in total, to a car and land rover enthusiast this simply isn't enough time, we want to see all the details, little tips and tricks about how to do a certain job a certain way,

the finished vehicle did look stunning, however the paint work was beautiful before, and really didn't need painting.

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2020, 02:17:28 AM »

I was looking toward to it.
Complete *&%^$!
Fast forwarded past the top gear bits, Ross kemp and santa pod truck stuff! Why was that in there.
Usual +/- comments about presenters.
Yawn.

jkhackney

• Master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2020, 07:37:52 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 19 queries.