S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Lidl and Aldi special offers - car battery charger  (Read 10086 times)

Scimike

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 1579
  • Oh no, not again
Re: Lidl and Aldi special offers - car battery charger
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »

Could not get one, all sold out in Stoke-on-Trent, the home of MOT failure transport.   :-X

Went for one of the electric oil pumps at £13, same one (sold by Machine mart) is over twice the price. May struggle with my Landy EP90, but it's mainly for my Jimny which has a thinner oil diet. If it works great, if not I can use it in my homemade parts washer.

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 4619
  • .:
  • Misty 1972 Series 3 Petrol LPG
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2020, 10:15:37 AM »

Whilst at Buckleys the other day, i went in the lidl nearby and picked up a battery charger and grinding discs. I have to take my battery out though to charge if needed.
Misty 1972 Series 3 SWB 2.25 Petrol LPG

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2020, 11:17:48 AM »

Whilst at Buckleys the other day, i went in the lidl nearby and picked up a battery charger and grinding discs.

Watch out for the grinding disc size - I've found the Aldi & Lidl ones are usually 125mm, a little too big for most 4 1/2" angle grinders (115mm).

Of course, they will fit their own angle grinders bought from Aldi or Lidl, but I find I have to use mine without the guard to use their discs - carefully   :whistle

Cheers,
Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2020, 11:28:11 AM »

Watch out for the grinding disc size - I've found the Aldi & Lidl ones are usually 125mm, a little too big for most 4 1/2" angle grinders (115mm).

Of course, they will fit their own angle grinders bought from Aldi or Lidl, but I find I have to use mine without the guard to use their discs - carefully   :whistle

Cheers,
Robin.
Use briefly on the 9” to take off 5mm.

Old Bodger

• Chassis welder
  • .:
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2020, 04:48:34 PM »

No Plasma cutters at Horsham or Dorking ☹️

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2020, 04:52:50 PM »

No Plasma cutters at Horsham or Dorking ☹️

They were first available on Thursday morning - only 4 in my local store so I would think that was the same for all stores.

Got to be quick with these offers - I was there waiting for them to open the doors   :cool

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2020, 05:00:26 PM »

Getting back to the original offered items, the chargers, it should be noted that the Lidl one doesn't retain its setting if there's a power cut or if you accidentally turn the power off.

So, if you've got something on float for months, like a leisure battery over winter, it's worth checking occasionally to make sure it's still charging.

The CTEK ones I had would remember their setting, and I've got two earlier Lidl/Aldi offers of which one remembers, and the other one doesn't.

Robin.

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2020, 05:02:45 PM »

:-\  ^^^ an important consideration.

Regarding the Lidl plasma cutter - sadly the Cromer Lidl have sold out  :'( - so I've saved you a wasted journey.

Who's a then ?

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2020, 09:09:31 PM »

Yes the cutting discs dont fit unless you take the guard off Funnily enough though i only picked them up because on the bake it said "fits most makes" and started listing most brand makes. So i wrongly thought would fit ok. Will use very carefully, but wont buy again. Would rather have the guard on when using.

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2020, 09:52:02 PM »

Yes the cutting discs dont fit unless you take the guard off Funnily enough though i only picked them up because on the bake it said "fits most makes" and started listing most brand makes. So i wrongly thought would fit ok. Will use very carefully, but wont buy again. Would rather have the guard on when using.

I’d sooner sling a pack of cheap grinding discs in the bin than use them on a grinder without a guard.
It’s not air, it’s adjustment.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2020, 10:16:48 PM »

I’d sooner sling a pack of cheap grinding discs in the bin than use them on a grinder without a guard.

Interestingly, on the USA TV series Forged with Fire, where bladesmiths/knife makers compete by making blades in 3 hours and complete knives in 6 hours, all use angle grinders without guards.

You'd think the TV studio health & safety team would have a fit over that!

I hesitate over using cutting disks without a guard, but have used thicker grinding disks without as they are slightly less lethal, in my opinion   :tiphat

Robin

andyjb

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2020, 09:55:14 PM »

To be quite honest you are right. So in the bin they have gone. New discs ordered and correct size.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2020, 07:06:22 AM »

I have a scar on my leg from a piece of a disc that disintigrated and that was with a guard on, I dread to think what would have happened with no guard.  I do though use a flap disc without the guard.  Always wear safety glasses too.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

GlenAnderson

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 1135
  • .:
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2020, 09:18:10 AM »

To be quite honest you are right. So in the bin they have gone. New discs ordered and correct size.

Good stuff.

I’ve a mate who’s got some fairly impressive facial scars because he was a bit blasé with a grinder. **

All power tools have the ability to cause injury, but grinders are one of the most common causes of trips to A&E. My “rules”, for what they’re worth:

1) Always use the guard.

2) Right size disc. I know that the bigger discs all have the same size central bore, and that you can use a worn 9” disc on a 4.5” machine, but a 9” disc is constructed to run at almost 10,000 rpm less than a 4.5” machine, and it’s just asking for trouble.

3) Goggles and gloves.

4) When you’re using the machine, try and hold it so your body isn’t inline with the disc. Not always possible I know, but try. Definitely keep your face out of the path of any potential shrapnel.

5) Let the disc do the work. Don’t force it.

6) Use the right disc for the material you’re cutting. You can get aluminium and stainless steel specific ones. The ease in which they cut, and the significantly reduced chance of snagging, far outweighs the extra cost.

7) Don’t walk around, or clamber over stuff with the machine running. Ever. If you’re not actually cutting something, turn it off.

8) When you’re done, and you turn the machine off, don’t put it down or let go of it until the disc has stopped spinning.

** Lucky for him he already looked like he’d been hit repeatedly with a shovel, but it would have ruined George Clooney’s career... 🤣

Craig T

• Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6454
  • .:
  • 1967 109" Station Wagon, 1955 86" Station Wagon
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2020, 09:45:51 AM »

I had a cup wire bush on a grinder once which caught the edge of the bit of steel I was cleaning and the spinning wire brush made a path across my other hand which was holding onto the aforementioned steel.

That hurt somewhat..... Always try to wear gloves now with the wire brushes.

Craig.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.