S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: University Survey  (Read 6655 times)

agg221

• Swivel King
Re: University Survey
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »

Done.  I can happily say I did GCSE (2nd year after they came out - when A was the highest mark) but the thought did cross my mind about O level and CSE? (what ever the qualification was below O
Done.  I can happily say I did GCSE (2nd year after they came out - when A was the highest mark) but the thought did cross my mind about O level and CSE? (what ever the qualification was below O level).

I think I was the third year of GCSE. I went on to do A-level maths and further maths. We had London Board and were given the choice between being the last year of the traditional structure or the first year of the modular structure. We chose the former, which meant that for revision I did the papers my dad had sat for his A-levels. The only thing to be aware of was that gravity approximated to 32ft/s^2 rather than 9.8N.

Alec

Rob_W

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3218
  • .:
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 10:28:10 AM »

Technically A-level, but I then have a degree or two in Engineering. I also work in engineering simulation (CFD).

The problem is not the use of technology in education/life; it's the reliance on said technology to the point that everyone believes the rule/calculator/computer regardless of how silly the answer looks.

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »

Done. The best we had at University was a huge main frame with a terminal in our department and floppy discs. Still used slide rules and hand calculators and log tables though because time on "The Main  Frame was rationed"   The time allocated to me on it was 2am. till 4am. :sleep. I was very low on the pecking order in those days.

I remember bbc computer and vic20 from primary

5 1/4" and 3.5" discs too.

Cd rom was space age.

I was always told you needed to have a rough idea of the result you should expect from a calculation.

Approximately right is better than precisely wrong.

rmgosling

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5787
  • .:
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »

I can still use them and a slide rule but I cound never get on with the cylindrical versions.

I do carry a slide rule with me most days: it's one of those cylindrical ones by Breitling  :whistle.  Don't use it though rather small digits/markings and I forget how to use it  :-\

Cheers
1969 S11a SWB - The Sister
1982 S3 SWB West Kirby Fire Engine - Red

Scotty38

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 5319
  • .:
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 04:11:14 PM »

Thanks again to everyone that has contributed!
Wittsend's Little Helper....

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »

Log tables were all we had in my day!

Log tables, I forgot those, I just mentioned pencil, rubber, not the condom type, setsquare, slide rule and rudimentary calculator, somewhat xenophobicaly referred to as "rekenjapanner", literally: calculating Jap – most calculators those days (early seventies) being from Japan or some nondescript Asian thereabouts…

Richard
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 1.119 seconds with 17 queries.