S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto sparks loom  (Read 1379 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Auto sparks loom
« on: March 23, 2020, 08:53:28 AM »

I could do with some advice please. I am just about ready to order a wiring loom and hopefully trying make sure I order the correct one with any extra cable that i may require. I have a 1959 SWB, but going to install a 5 bearing engine, so assuming if I order the loom for a 1959 will I be missing any cables that the newer engine requires.

I know I will need the loom to accommodate the  alternator, anything else?

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
Re: Auto sparks loom
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 09:14:40 AM »

I don't think the 5 bearing engine requires any more wires.  You could want one for the temp gauge sender and you won't need one for the carb heater (which probably isn't there till S2a. - Solex carb).  I don't suppose your engine will have an otter switch - so no need for the wire from the choke switch (earth the spare terminal on the choke switch and the light will come on whenever the lever is pulled out)

have a look at the S3 diagram on this site.  I think its frozen at about 1976 - which makes it amusing when handling vehicles fitted with hazards etc as standard!  (I tried using diagrams from the handbook - ended up with a military diagram which did help with the relay operated brake warning light on a diesel)

Ndrwdz

• Shop Manager
  • S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3755
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »

I have the 5MB engine in mine - as Formerlyjeremy says, the only extra wire is the temperature sender.
You just need to make the dynamo / alternator decision and purchase the appropriate loom.

Andrew
[ºº]O O[ºº]

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 11:30:20 AM »

Hi Mike.

I just ordered an alternator loom for the age of my vehicle (66) it then comes with several spare wires you can use if you want to fit a temperature gauge, the only other area you might want to consider is are you going to use your ammeter, you can do this by having a resistor (I think that's what it is) added to your meter then you can have your wiring supplied to fit straight to the back, you have a wire going directly to your ammeter from the alternator which then returns to your solenoid - you can see the basic route below - if you decided to do this you will need to ring Autosparks to advise what you want, it's just an option you can consider, which at the time seemed like a good idea but it's not really required as I get all my voltage and current readings from my phone now using the 123 dizzy. 

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.