S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OT. Coronavirus and Self Isolation.  (Read 12294 times)

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
OT. Coronavirus and Self Isolation.
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:48:45 PM »

Now that many of us are heavily confined and unable to "do" all the stuff we've been so used to doing, I've come to realise that the signature line that has been underneath my posts for a long time, has taken on a whole new resonance.

I wish the best of mental health to any of you who may find it difficult to cope in the coming weeks or months.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.

Jepster

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3243
  • .:
Re: OT. Coronavirus and Self Isolation.
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:12:17 PM »

Coronovirus has many levels to try to mess us up, and the impact of isolation for some is a biggie!
Reach out to your S2C friends, we have the means and technology to communicate!
Calon lan yn Lloegr

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 11:57:26 PM »

Thank you! Positive messages are just what we need at the moment. Especially on my front where I'm seeing my business being wiped out and no available HMG support to save us. I bought my first 2A 30 years ago - I can't believe I have taken until 2020 to join the S2C, but the welcome and positive feel from all has been wonderful. I promise I'll do my best not to spoil my copy book and will behave! Thanks all - being a part of something like this does make a big difference! Luckily, I still have my mental and physical health and a loving family - not much more I need really I suppose in these difficult times!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 06:03:29 AM »

Hi,

I don't think I've had a cold or flue since I "retired" in .. er .. 1985. The only time, since then, that I've spent a day in bed, was following brain surgery. (Subjural Haemotoma  sp/sp?) Barbara phoned the hospital, to see if I'd woken up yet ... heard me chatting up a nurse. Oops!

Series Land Rovers should be available on the NHS.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 06:33:40 AM »

Hi,

May I butt in ... fits the title but maybe not the sentiment ...

... family next door ... Indian ... him ... wife ... two toddlers ... I think he is into computers/banking. Wilkie is the first dog he has ever touched. Exchange Xmas cards and small prezzies (wine for us, Jungle Book video for them and kids ... seemed to go down well.)

We haven't seen them for several days. His BMW is parked in the drive.

What should be my next move?  OK, OK, now I've asked, the answer is obvious ... knock on the door, retreat to pavement, watch the windows. But I'll post this anyway.

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 07:32:58 AM »

You should get their phone number they are nearest in an emergency

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

Porkscratching

• Master of the oils
  • .:
  • I know nothing!...nothing..!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 08:50:39 AM »

Drop a note thru the door saying you were concerned etc, and give your phone number, ask them to give you a bell...

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 02:59:03 PM »

Write your name and phone number on a sheet of paper and then tape it to the outside of a window they are most likely to lok out of/see.
Kitchen window ???

That way, you'll have no physical contact between you.
Who's a then ?

crumbly65

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 912
  • .:
  • "Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »

At 75 years old I've decided (after being instructed by the younger SWMBO) to self-isolate.

Most of the time I'm isolated anyway, as we live in a small hamlet 5 miles from everywhere, and very often the weekdays are spent on my own.  The only people I might speak to, are either my neighbours (if I see 'em), or a check-out person in the Supermarket or local shop.

It's been that way since I retired in 2001, and frankly it's been ok - I'm content in my own company, and always have been.

But to be precise, I'm not sure that self-isolation means DO NOT GO OUTSIDE THE HOUSE AT ANY COST.

I got in to my  SII 88", (and I'm always on my own in that, as nobody else thinks it's comfortable enough for a human being - the wimps), trundled up to my friend's farm, drove to his Burning Site, spent a happy half-hour listening to crackling wood and birdsong, and trundled back home without seeing a soul.

So I couldn't infect anyone, and nobody could infect me.

SWMBO is now working from home, since last Monday.  She has insisted on doing what supermarket shopping we need, and it's like being in a sterile operating theatre when she returns.  She cleans every thing with a tissue soaked with hand steriliser.  So I'm indoors, but at least she's about for company, and the house is just large enough so that we're not under each other's feet.

I sympathise with all those whose lives are seriously mucked up by this CORVID-19.  Thanks to this forum I have at least a circle of "friends and acquaintances" to natter with, and keep me from going stir crazy. 

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 03:39:52 PM »

Should I keep a lockdown diary.... So today..so far.. walked the dog, mowed the lawn four times, picked up the remains of the expensive outside clock that the wind blew off the wall, looked at the lawn, it really needs mowing....then the dog needs walking....is it June yet Mum ?   :stars
1955 86inch petrol.
1960 88inch Diesel.
2013 FFRR SDV8 4.4

kev

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6287
  • .:
  • Blah, blah, blah...
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »

Should I keep a lockdown diary?

That's just what I'm doing!
I'm getting so much stuff done without that work malarkey getting in the way.
Today, I've jetwashed all my concrete, cleaned my garden ornaments, and also cleaned up a few Land rover related bits 'n bobs while I had the washer out.

I gave up about an hour ago due to nearly freezing to death outside and have just had a lovely hot bath.
...Can't wait until tomorrow! :cheers

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 05:17:50 PM »

It has a weird effect this lockdown - on me at least.

Like the others, I'm getting on with loads of jobs.
Done the lawn, tidied up and cleaned my work bench twice.
Cleaned the tools and put them in the right place.
I'm now looking at 3 trays of miscellaneous nuts and bolts collected over the years - with a view to cleaning and sorting them out by size.

Cylinder head back inside for the valve lapping.

etc. etc.

The thing is, being retired I had just as much free time as now  :thud

Maybe it's a deep rooted nihilistic instinct to get my "affairs" in order before I succumb to the virus ???

Strange times ...

Nothing comes close - not the 3-day week, the sugar shortage, the petrol shortage (twice), issuing petrol coupons, the smogs, the miners strike and the road checks in Leeds when the ripper was active.

I didn't see WWII, but then at least the pubs were open  :cheers

We're able to get food, but many items are still off the shelves.
The neighbours have just shoved a note under the door asking if we need any shopping - they're going out tomorrow.
I think we're seeing a lot of this "helping each other out".

I have the Land Rover batteries on trickle (and solar) charge - thinking I should put my new car on charge.
Mrs Wittsend is a designated care worker and she's allowed out.

My daughter & niece are on the ambulances, paramedics and son-in-law is a copper as is my lad.
So some of my family are right in the firing line.

Thinking how I can make a rudimentary ventilator from the various bits & pieces in the garage roof  ???
(Thinking about the film Apollo 13 and they had to make a CO2 scrubber from bits and pieces they had on board the craft.)

Grandadrob

• Master of the oils
  • More questions than answers.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 05:34:02 PM »

^^^^^^^ You should be proud of your family. We are so grateful for all the risky things they are doing for all of us.
Having spent my working life in the Fire Brigade, I know how the pride of doing a good job takes over at times of crisis.

Bradley66

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5351
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »

Mowed the lawn , front and back , cleared the loft up , re-stacked the log pile , washed the cars ,  mowed the lawn again , tidied up the garage .
And we have a small dairy goat heard so I have been out twice a day to feed them . Quite a few people out walking around here but all seemed to be keeping there distance .
And I found an HS8 Carb in the garage . I have run a HIF44 for 7 or 8 years on the SWB . Maybe I should try a the 2" SU  ?

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2020, 07:31:20 PM »

If you look up gtech they designed a very simple ventilator , self powered and using syringes. Fascinating simulation.

Sadly the govt have ignored them! Work that out, there is a war on.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.