S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 52 years and nothing bar battery fitted  (Read 2339 times)

lurch032003

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4256
  • .:
52 years and nothing bar battery fitted
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »

Well I had to move her outside of garage so can get the s3 in as got diesel tank and few bits to change over such as parabolic springs so she drive all way out and back without a hiccup but does need her service done but that’s on the list of many things to do before she finished.

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
52 years and nothing bar battery fitted
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 06:52:43 PM »

Hi Lurch,

My first Landy was a S1, that had been driven into it's garage eleven years previously ... with a full tank of petrol.

I hand cranked it up a very steep drive, then towed it home (about a mile). The full tank had, presumably , evaporated down to half a tank. Sniffing the filler pipe tended to induce vomiting ... it was horrible.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have drained the fuel tank before starting the engine, removed the tank, and had it professionally cleaned. This was 1971 ( I think) so I doubt that pattern tanks were available at a price I could afford.

I had constant fuel blockage problems throughout the time I owned that truck.

lurch032003

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 4256
  • .:
Re: 52 years and nothing bar battery fitted
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 04:58:53 AM »

Hi Lurch,

My first Landy was a S1, that had been driven into it's garage eleven years previously ... with a full tank of petrol.

I hand cranked it up a very steep drive, then towed it home (about a mile). The full tank had, presumably , evaporated down to half a tank. Sniffing the filler pipe tended to induce vomiting ... it was horrible.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have drained the fuel tank before starting the engine, removed the tank, and had it professionally cleaned. This was 1971 ( I think) so I doubt that pattern tanks were available at a price I could afford.

I had constant fuel blockage problems throughout the time I owned that truck.

Hi m8 , yes understandable about fuel in tank over any length of time I should of said part of my initial procedure when I first got her about six years ago was to drain and flushed tank as had a bottom drain point which help not having to remove tank plus was able to check if it leaked as left it to soak fir about a week . I had also drain fuel lines and changed its filter and drained oil and radiator etc before I even tried to see if she was a runner as towed her from Sussex to West Lothian prior to that she had sat st sellers fir over 8 years unmoved or touched and before him at his brothers fir 14 years untouched or used so a lot of time standing unused. So was pleased once I had heat light glow and turned key to find she started up no problem at all and was first time she had been driven under her own steam backwards down drive then forwards very slowly as only had hand brake lucky on flat level surface as brake pads and props where taken off by seller so I could tow her home so again anther job still to be done but it did let me hear and see how the engine was but do know gearbox needs removed have a spare to fit until it’s one is sorted and quite s bit of rattle from it on idle but did engage gears okay so that’s a winter break down job in man cave . As fir other landy I’m having to fit a new tank as it’s one is leaking fuel and can see a very dirty tank in hers a lot of sediment but rather strip replace with new and then again check old tank.
But that’s just one if many jobs on a long list of to-dos lol
But I do appreciate your advise and comments I will always accept guidance and information plus help from anyone as I still doing jobs I never dine before and green bible provides only so much but can’t beat actual personal advice from such as yourself whom have knowledge and advice so thank you .
John 

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 05:41:17 AM »

But I do appreciate your advise and comments I will always accept guidance and information plus help from anyone as I still doing jobs I never dine before and green bible provides only so much but can’t beat actual personal advice from such as yourself whom have knowledge and advice so thank you .

Hi John,

"Aw... shucks!"  :-[

602 (also a John)

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 06:50:09 AM »

Hi,

OT ... in 1939, a young lad put his car into a garage, told them to look after it, and joined the RAF.  He was shot down ... KIA.

His parents paid to have the car regularly serviced, for 20 years, before deciding enough was enough.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 21 queries.