S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Military Land Rover  (Read 1378 times)

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
Military Land Rover
« on: May 20, 2020, 02:19:59 PM »

This might be a topic for a military vehicle forum but I've not got round to joining any yet. I was wondering if it's known how much the military paid for FFR Land Rovers. In stripping mine down there is a lot of the optional extras and braided wiring, plus obviously the extra wiring for the radios which may not have been Land Rover. Just curious. Thanks

Malcolm
1963 SWB 2.25L petrol

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
Re: Military Land Rover
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 02:28:55 PM »

The price roughly started at double that of a base standard civilian vehicle (selling price), but of course depends on the modifications. Some are clearly far more expensive to build / modify than others. If you take into account XD Defender (Wolf), there were huge sub contractor costs on that as well as the huge development and testing costs. Given the long lifespan of things like XD Defender, its been great value for money for us tax payers. Not so good in the earlier years when vehicles were cast after 3 or 4 years and sold at fleet auctions for 4/5ths of sweet Fanny Adams. This is based on experience with some recent NATO contracts and other deals, but its not a cheap exercise - hence why they are so much better put together.
Line production was all pretty standard - it was when they got sent out to the subcontractors for the really whacky mods that things started to go to eye-watering figures.
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 03:11:52 PM »

Interesting
I am thinking with thelightweight , differentload of panels, chassis and that's it ona 12v apart from a few odds and sods . 24v lots more electric but all fitted at factory.

Malcolm R

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6730
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:21:50 PM »

Thanks. The lightweight is a good point, very different from the others. The long service life is also interesting. I seem to remember one Top Gear episode about the military vehicles and the workshops that would be rebuilding Land Rovers 24/7.

Malcolm

MineRover

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 4451
  • .:
  • 1967 88" & 1964 109"
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 04:48:36 PM »

I don't know the answer to your question but there was a dedicated Military section on the old Forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 22 queries.