S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Coronavirus: after-effects  (Read 8898 times)

Rog-from-Bix

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2860
  • .:
Re: Coronavirus: after-effects
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2020, 10:32:25 AM »

One thing that has changed and will probably stay that way, is that now we are a virtually cashless society. I dont bother to take any cash with me if I venture out for shopping and still have the notes I got out of the cash machine just before lockdown. This is something that an old git like me thought would never happen to them, but I have now got used to having lighter pockets.

Funny you say that I went out to collect fish and chips last weekend and the local chippy was cash only (card reader broke and long wait for replacement apparently) luckily I had just enough money on me (had to rob the parking change out of the car) as I dont bother checking I have cash in wallet due to places not wanting to take it.

Youngun

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2020, 10:49:27 AM »

One thing that has changed and will probably stay that way, is that now we are a virtually cashless society. I dont bother to take any cash with me if I venture out for shopping and still have the notes I got out of the cash machine just before lockdown. This is something that an old git like me thought would never happen to them, but I have now got used to having lighter pockets.

I agree on a day to day basis, with the increase in the contactless limit and reliance on online shopping that cold hard cash is going to become nearly obsolete.

Although there will be a minority who will insist on using the physical entity to trade for goods either because they "don't trust" the Internet and or they don't trust credit cards

BUT there is still the criminal enterprises out there, drug dealers, stolen property etc who prefer the non electronic trail option... So I wonder could this lead to innocent people using cash being tarred with the same brush?  ???

On the way to an autojumble looking for that elusive part 🤔 "he's got a wallet full of notes... Must be a drug dealer"

Neal

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2020, 05:29:47 PM »

Hi,

Adding to an ealier mail, about a visitor to a school "going loaded for bear" ???

My mate told me about a "wet behind the ears" Customs Oficer who demanded that a traveller open his brief case ... completely ignoring the "Greyhound" on, or is under, the bloke's lapel.

All the other Customs Officers gathered round to watch.

It ended with the young officer trying not to wet himself ... as he peered down the barrel of a big gun.

I assume everybody here knows the significance of the "Greyhound"?

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2020, 05:32:43 PM »

Hi,

Just in case ... the "greyhound" signifies the wearer is a QUEEN'S MESSENGER.

Kernowcam

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2020, 08:10:10 AM »

We are both working from home these days. Pros and cons.  I teach and have got around things using zoom etc. Wife currently calling shielded people to check they'd have systems in place to be ok.
I find the teaching ok, getting used to it, but just not the same as face t face, more emails about emails, more zoom meetings to talk about talk, prob more stressful as I am tied to the laptop and not out the house for a few hours a day drivingorworking.
I guess I am noticing a feeling of more isolation and accasionally just need to pick up the phone and chat. I notice with my wife's calls how the person on the other end seem to generally appreciate someone is calling to check their ok and have a chat. This in itself is stressful at times effectively councilling people. .
Interesting times and thankful for the front line people's efforts.

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 09:03:18 AM »

Interesting thread this. Lots of interesting changes. Back on the cycling topic.
I cycle to work every day. I cycle probably more miles per year on my short work commutes than I drive my S2, including its longer summer excursions.

I suspect, like the original poster, there will be some serious issues soon.
Yes. There are thousands of people of all ages who have no acquired, or dusted off and used for the first time (or in a long time) bikes.
Some of these people cycle erratically and are unpredictable.
Then you have seasoned cycle-commuters who cycle at the speed of cars (and more) and are (mostly) highly traffic-aware (usually more-so than 95% of drivers).
Basically you can be faster on the bike than any other mode of transport into the City Centre from a distance of less than about 7-10 km.

Both these groups have become used to quiet roads over the last 3 months, which is a false sense of security as we move out of lockdown.
Glasgow City centre, near my workplace, is a joy to cycle round just now. But not for long.

When lockdown lifts these cycling groups will be mixed with normal levels of motorised vehicle traffic again.
But the other factor is that there are going to be thousands of people driving who have not driven much for a long time, and those that have have become used to quiet roads.

I expect a number of road traffic accidents, caused by inattentiveness and "lack of practice" on both sides.

I suspect any post-covid mass habit-changing from cars to other modes will not happen. People will forget very quickly, and go back to what's convenient for them. Many people who "rediscovered" cycling will rapidly undiscover it when the level of road traffic increases again and they are breathing diesel fumes and getting sideswiped between buses and cars.
Andrew

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »

Hi,

I didn't know that we were not allowed to travel, I just thought that we were not allowed to mingle while doing so.

I usually collect my daughter, to come and do all the chores that she so enjoys, then take her home. Three miles each way. If I didn't, she'd use a taxi. 

Cyclists and dog walkers everywhere.

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »

In Scotland, in theory, essential journeys only still. Perhaps changing tomorrow?
In England ... well, anything goes, even back in March you could have driven your Landy anywhere to "test your eyes" apparently.
Worth remembering that one for any future times you get stopped for a non-essential journey. Apparently "testing your eyes for a longer journey" is totally valid.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2020, 12:24:45 PM »

I suspect any post-covid mass habit-changing from cars to other modes will not happen. People will forget very quickly, and go back to what's convenient for them. Many people who "rediscovered" cycling will rapidly undiscover it when the level of road traffic increases again and they are breathing diesel fumes and getting sideswiped between buses and cars.

I think there will be some long-term changes of habit.
- More people will work from home more of the time. The limiting factor previously was generally around employers and trust. They have had no choice but to 'run the experiment' and it has not failed. There are now various incentives to retain it. Partly it saves money (less office space and associated costs), partly it is environmentally friendly to reduce travel. Employees also like the flexibility - not everyone wants to work from home all the time but on balance, given the choice, you end up with more hours worked from home than before. There are also some other factors (see below) which will embed it still further.
- We are not back to normal. If you take Boris' big announcement of the restart and analyse what actually happened, the only changes so far between 'full lockdown' and now are that garden centres are open, you are allowed to exercise more than once a day (not that anyone could have identified this in reality) and that you can sit in the park with your family. Practically, you are less likely to get prosecuted for travelling somewhere because it is not possible to identify how long you intend to spend there relative to the travel time but that doesn't actually make it particularly different. There was no real restart to business - those businesses which are allowed to be open now have actually been allowed to be open throughout. It was far more symbolic than actual, although it does seem to have had an effect on businesses which didn't know what they could or could not do, so shut just in case. The big shift will be if retail and schools re-open, although the school problem is very far from resolved and is key to availability of a lot of the workers needed for retail - expect some significant delays in resolving that one so roads will remain pretty quiet for some time to come.
- Travel will necessarily remain altered for an extended period of time, realistically until sometime next year at best. Social distancing and public transport do not mix - TFL can run at only 13% capacity on a full service if social distancing applies. There are various measures in place to address this - continued working from home, staggered starts, only being in the office for part of a working day. All of these reduce the burden on the roads on a long-term basis.
- The mix of travel also alters - the obvious (and greatly feared) is that people switch from using public transport to using cars. To prevent this, some measures are already being introduced using a 'carrot and stick' approach. Stick - greater number of cycle lanes, more pedestrianisation, reduced lanes for cars. This is not because they are specifically needed, more to stop cars from being used as an alternative to public transport. Carrot - likely to see government subsidies on electric cars and DoT is already pushing through trials on electric scooters which unless there is a major issue will also be allowed to use cycle lanes.

It's impossible to predict the eventual outcome of the above, but I am pretty confident that things will not go back quite to how they were before, ever.

One positive shift I have seen from a few more cars on the roads is that the people who have now gone back to work seem to be the ones who drive more sensibly. It is now quite common to see queues of cars going down our main road, the one at the front observing the speed limit. This is an improvement.

Alec

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2020, 05:42:12 PM »

Hi Andrew,

ESSENTIAL journeys? What does that mean?

I usually collect and return my daughter, but Barbara says that Sara has used a taxi at least once. I can't imagine a taxi firm asking if a journey is essential? Same for buses and trains?

About 10 kids pkicking a ball about, when I took Wilkie down the park at lunchtime today. And the Council were mowing the park a few days ago.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.066 seconds with 22 queries.