S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel dollies  (Read 2341 times)

Worf

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 3448
  • .:
    • Aberdaron B&B
Wheel dollies
« on: July 22, 2020, 04:18:18 PM »

Just bought a pair of these. I am really impressed with the quality of construction. Ideal in cramped garage - I don't know how I managed without them.
UK made (I think) and delivered in 2 days. Might even buy 2 more. (No connection to me - just impressed with their service)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SGS-Two-Vehicle-Positioning-Wheel-Dollies-450kg-Per-Dolly/182721272855?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
"If tha knows nowt, say nowt an-appen nob'dee'll notice."

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
Re: Wheel dollies
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 04:32:56 PM »

I have a lot of time for SGS. The genny that runs our house is from them and they were very helpful in talking me through setting it up to talk to the "clever box" that controls our  power, made up a lead to connect the two, etc.

As for the dollies, I have 4, with them under the wheels and a long lever I was able single handed to turn the Ambulance through 90 degrees in the shed and park it against the far wall, leaves enough working room to deal with another vehicle at the same time. Very useful indeed. 
I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Fluffle-Valve

• Carawagon Owner
  • S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 2919
  • .:
  • So Love me, Love my Dogs.
    • Blogspot
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 04:37:28 PM »

I have a lot of time for SGS. The genny that runs our house is from them and they were very helpful in talking me through setting it up to talk to the "clever box" that controls our  power, made up a lead to connect the two, etc.

I know you live in the back of beyond, but, are you that far out in the sticks that you don't have electric supplied?
This is my Dormawagon.

Alan Drover

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 7511
  • .:
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 04:43:52 PM »

Many deccades ago my parents, step.sister and I stayed at the Kinloch Arms Hotel in Meigle, Perthshire and there was electricity there.
Odd place for a holiday but friends of ours who drove there with us  had relatives there.
Series 3 owner but interested in all Land Rovers.
'Being born was my first big mistake!'

gcc130

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2020, 09:09:35 PM »

Coming back to the op, I have my Series 1 rebuild project on four and it’s amazing how easy it is to move it about, highly recommended.

diffwhine

• Acting Chairman
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 6762
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 09:24:37 PM »

Just watch the pricing from SGS on eBay. The prices tend to be higher than buying direct off their website. Can't fault their kit or their service though - good company and definitely recommended!
1965 88" Station Wagon
1968 Rover 1 Air Portable

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:30:24 PM »

I know you live in the back of beyond, but, are you that far out in the sticks that you don't have electric supplied?

Yes, we are.  SSE wanted £23k to connect the house to the mains at a transformer maybe 400m away but across the river.  £23k buys a 10 KVa genny, a big battery bank, a clever box and a lot of red diesel... and no power cuts every time the wind blows.

We also have our own sewage plant, no land-line phone and an LPG tank. The only "mains" service we have is water, and that comes from a plant up on Ben Ledi that supplies the village. Given there is a small power station installed in the reservoir and a new Hydro scheme in the catchment, we could fairly easily be entirely self-sufficient f as a community.

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 09:53:34 PM »

Wee extension cord across The Black Water stream to the pub and you're sorted Gene.  :-X :-X
1967 Rover 10(ex mil 2a swb)
1970 lwb  ex Singer sewing machine factory Clydebank fire appliance

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2020, 10:01:40 PM »

Wee extension cord across The Black Water stream to the pub and you're sorted Gene.  :-X :-X

Yep, technically closer but 3 different owners to get a way-leave from and the river is a "Triple S-I" so all sorts of surveys required to even run a cable over it.

While we were building the cottage back up we had 300m of "cooker cable" running along the fence-line back to the farm, patched into the power circuit in one of the stables. It was more than enough for power tools and some basic lighting.

Anyone want 300m of little-used cooker cable ?  :whistle

nathanglasgow

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5123
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2020, 10:21:20 PM »

Yeah it's mental money for asking to get services moved. £1000 quoted to move our gas meter 4ft 10 years ago. Funny thing was I woke up in the morning a few days later to find a bill from the gas meter moving fairies for £11.24 to cover 4ft of gas pipe. Result!

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2020, 05:25:00 AM »

Wee extension cord across The Black Water stream to the pub and you're sorted Gene. 

Hi,

It was not unknown, on Penang Island, for a bungalow dweller (us) to have a high electricity consumption investigated ... and find the local primitive village was "plumbed" into his meter.

I say "primitive", but there was one palm leaf hut near-by, with a Lotus Cortina parked outside.  Even modern bungalows would often have one or two tressle beds in the front porch. The locals had difficulty understanding our need for a separate room, just to sleep in. But that was in the 1960s.

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2020, 06:37:58 AM »

£33 plus postage on site
v £41 delivered on ebay.

£66 for 4 free postage. Best value.

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 06:48:05 AM »

We had cables flying over our conservatory attached to a pair of dodgey poles with a transformer on.
I spoke to wester power and on inspection birds were seen to fly from the hollow pole which was on the tilt.
The sympathetic engineer agreed to remove, got the lot off site and underground and really tidies the place up.
Cost then a fortune.
The guys all working together was like poetry in motion.

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 09:49:40 AM »

^^^^ Its nice when they are decent and work like that. SSE wanted £15k deposit up front before they'd do a stroke, the £23k quote they eventually came back with would have involved me doing all the ground-work - digging and back-filling 400m of trench. At the point when they discovered that the river was a SSSI and started talking about multiple ecology surveys at £700 each we parted company, I demanded my deposit back and bought the self-sufficiency kit.

My brother was at that time working in roughly the same area of work for them but at the other end of the country. He priced the job "as an intellectual exercise" and could not determine where the "£23k" had come from. The largest single expense was upgrading the transformer, it appeared they were passing 100% of the cost to me - but that was only £4k. A couple of poles to span the river, the cable to me, a small crew to do the work.... his estimate was that they were heading towards a massive profit on the job, cost plus 100% or more. As they effectively have a monopoly there is little the householder can do. 

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 10:04:35 AM »

My lot were brilliant. The inspectors words were , ‘ I will have a word with the boss’. Mind you the poles and transformer were all due for replacement as dangerous.

Rather stupidly they dug past other poles and could have got loads more underground, then bt come around wanting to shove up poles to take fibre.

I managed to co-ordinate with by and persuaded them to give me grey tubes to lay in trench. That took a bit of convincing but common sense prevailed in the end. Ie free trench, free manpower! Just replace cable.,

I did miss a trick as I should have renewed our water pipe at the same time but missed the opportunity.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 17 queries.