S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: To sell her or not?!  (Read 5694 times)

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
To sell her or not?!
« on: September 02, 2019, 02:07:23 PM »

>:( :stars

I have a lovely 1960 series 2 which has undergone restoration from myself, however the top has remained from 1960, ‘Patina’ is the word!

Since having a daughter who is now 4, and another on the way the landy sits in my garage barely used, collecting dust, it maybe gets a short run out each month.
Im 90% not bothered shes not used, she remains dry, costs virtually nothing to sit there and hopefully goes up in value, shes currently insured at £13k.

However…. The other 10% of me says whats the point in having her sitting there when I could get something different that we could all safely use as a family, I was thinking a defender or maybe a VW camper van. I know full well in 5 or so years I would almost definitely regret ever parting with with my S2, she’s pretty original and un-modified.

Has anyone else had a similar scenario? What did you do? maybe I just need to regain the love of the S2!

The other key point im keen to only sell and buy something that hopefully wouldn't depreciate!

TimV

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 5393
Re: To sell her or not?!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2019, 03:09:39 PM »

Your daughter won't always be four. They all get bigger.

In a few years time they could be old enough to come out green laning - camping in the car.

Why not hang on and see what happens?
Tim

Rob_W

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 3218
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2019, 03:23:20 PM »

Unless you're "upgrading" to a 109" Carawagon/Dormobile I'd keep it. Even then I'd just get (and did buy) a second one..... The VWs I saw at a recent festival were all badly messed with and struggled on a flat field, highly amusing once I'd got going on the last morning.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »

I bought my 1960 S2 just after my elder daughter was born. It then sat until she was 9, when I took it to bits and started the rebuild.

The deal has always been that she can learn to drive in it as soon as she can reach the pedals and she started to get tall enough that I thought I had better get on with it! I know the clutch may suffer a bit by the time both daughters have learned, but with low box and access to a field I reckon they will be a long way forward with manoeuvring and clutch control by the time they reach the road, and anything modern will feel pretty easy.

Once it is rebuilt I intend to enjoy it, but I am not precious about it. They can come with me on back roads and lanes if they want. Ultimately they will either love it or be ambivalent so when they inherit it, it’s up to them what they do next.

Alec

milesr3

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5346
  • .:
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 04:26:25 PM »

Has anyone else had a similar scenario? What did you do? maybe I just need to regain the love of the S2!

I had to check that it wasn't me that has posted this!  :-X

LCJ

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 7101
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 05:26:33 PM »

I'm in a similar situation to you family-wise, but instead the vehicle is a 2015 110, and I'm contemplating swapping it for a series for the reasons you want a defender!

My 110 doesn't get used much, has a lot of money tied up in it (more than I'd need for a series), and costs a fair bit to insure, tax, service et c. A series would hopefully see to a fair bit of those costs, and let me 'tinker' more than I can with a more complicated late defender.

Against all of that, I have a fairly gleaming 110 which I know well, I don't have matrimonial pressure to release cash from it, and it could just grow old with me and the family.

I get the safety issue too, but a defender isn't going to be much better off in a crash, perhaps worse even as it can reach higher speeds!

I offer this perspective only so that you can see that it isn't necessarily greener (no oval related puns intended) on this side.

Perhaps we should both try each other's vehicles, in fact?!  :bright-idea

vod80

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6312
  • .:
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »

I would say « don’t sell » You’ll get a bit of cash but it goes quickly and you’ll not easily get back to a Series. I sold my 80 and 107 Station Wagon - regret both!

So, unless you’ll never want a Series 2 again... don’t sell :-X
Not getting anywhere, fast

genocache

• .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2019, 08:17:02 PM »

I vote not. I had an 88 as an only car and a family of 4 back in the 70's-80's. I bolted a kids seat to the rear wheelwell and my youngest sat there. The older sat in the middle seat.
    Nowadays I'd probably put in a folding rear seat from a Jeep in the tub.
Eventually I got a 109 5 door, after the 88 got in an accident.

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2019, 09:24:44 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts, seems like im keeping her!

Great comments from LCJ too -  :first

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 09:34:21 PM »

My 11 and 13-year old kids think my 1960 88" hardtop is cool. You should hold on! 10 years can go by pretty quickly ....
I put 2x Securon 254 belts and 1x Securon 210C lap belt in the middle, so it's a lot safer in front than it used to be.
I don't have any belts or seats in the back, so technically the kids are not allowed to sit there any more (because I have fitted belts in the front - if you remove the belts in the front anyone can sit anywhere, legally. It makes only marginal sense but it's the way it is.).
So Mum will have to go in the back on the way to the Borders camping meet. Not sure how she's going to feel about that!

Andrew

Peter Holden

• S2C Vehicle Registration Officer
  • Director
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4528
  • .:
  • Peter Holden
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »

Having sold a Land Rover in the past due to family pressures I can tell you that you will regret it forever.

Peter
A Yorkshireman on missionary duty in Lancashire

milesr3

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5346
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2019, 01:06:17 PM »

Perhaps we should both try each other's vehicles, in fact?!  :bright-idea

I'm fortunate to have a 2016 Defender and 1960 SII. They have many similarities, like poor ride comfort, water ingress and strangers waving to you.

The Defender is obviously quieter can make better progress, keeping up with modern traffic, has aircon etc. I have driven hundreds of miles in it in a single day; although you do feel it when you get out at the end. I am not able to use my SII as much as I would like; I don't exceed 45mph and this limits the choice of roads to back roads and as a rule of thumb it takes twice as long to get anywhere as it does in a 'normal' car. Not a problem if you want to make a day of it though. I do tend to take my SII for shorter trips though in preference to anything else. There are plenty of people though who shame me by driving hundreds of miles in their Series.

I don't think that you'll find a Defender, or campervan any better than the SII for special days out. We did use the campervan we used to have more for family days out though, whereas the SII is really my plaything.

I had thought that I would teach my kids to drive in the SII and they've had a couple of goes out of harm's way. However, I have changed my mind about this. You can't insure drivers under 21 on a classic policy but more significantly, I just don't think it would be safe. The SII is a difficult thing to drive; it requires concentration and a level of anticipation of others on the road simply because it doesn't stop, steer or go as well as everything else around it. I think it would be overwhelming and some kind of accident quite likely. I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident in it.

The Defender does at least have seatbelts, disc brakes with ABS and even DSC. A bump is still going to hurt though without crumple zones. It is feasible as a learner or daily-driver though.

If you know now that you'll regret parting with the SII in the future then sit tight.

Richard

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 5937
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2019, 02:15:54 PM »

My previous owner sold his pristine and excellent Series 2 for exactly that reason, kids reaching an inquisitive age and safety. Made me happy. Did it make him happy? Not sure, I haven't seen him since…
Richard

Thanks for your thoughts, seems like im keeping her!

Great comments from LCJ too -  :first
1964 S2a, 1997 Disco 1, 1978 RRC

Kernowcam

• .:
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 02:50:36 PM »

I hummed and haaahd about selling my lightweight in the last few years. My grandson no 1 who is 2.1/2 loves it and Is one good reason to come and see grandpa.

Exile

• S2C Member
  • Member no : 5203
  • .:
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »

What you need is a bunch of local Series owning (and driving) friends.

You will use it a lot more then.
"If you want to be happy, be" -  Leo Tolstoy.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 17 queries.