S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: To sell her or not?!  (Read 5690 times)

agg221

• Swivel King
Re: To sell her or not?!
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »

I had thought that I would teach my kids to drive in the SII and they've had a couple of goes out of harm's way. However, I have changed my mind about this. You can't insure drivers under 21 on a classic policy but more significantly, I just don't think it would be safe. The SII is a difficult thing to drive; it requires concentration and a level of anticipation of others on the road simply because it doesn't stop, steer or go as well as everything else around it. I think it would be overwhelming and some kind of accident quite likely. I wouldn't want to be involved in an accident in it.

I should perhaps clarify 'learn to drive'. I am fortunate enough to have a bit of land which is fairly flat and level so as soon as they want to and can reach the pedals and see out of the windscreen I am quite happy for them to drive around on it, under supervision. It won't teach road sense, but it should give a good sense of positional awareness, clutch control etc and also to get the hang of manoeuvres such as reversing round corners and reverse parallel parking. We have a ride-on mower which has a top speed of 1mph in first and they have both driven around on the more lawn-like bits of our place since the age of 5 - it's really interesting watching them develop their positional awareness with increasing practice. My thinking is that, being heavy and difficult to steer, once they reach 17 and go on the road in a eurobox they will already have a lot of the basics of driving and not have to master that at the same time as road awareness. I would have loved to have been able to do this and it would have saved me fair few pounds - my parents didn't give me any help with driving practice or lessons so I had to pay for all my 'vehicle time' at full lesson costs which meant a lot more lessons than it would otherwise have needed.

I would imagine that, like most people, they will start out with a eurobox and once in a position to make the choice of what they would rather have then it's up to them. In the meantime, I will still have my SII to enjoy all to myself (my wife prefers her Midget).

Alec

milesr3

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 5346
  • .:
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 10:07:29 PM »

I should perhaps clarify 'learn to drive'.

I would definitely do the same if I had some land.  :cheers

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »

Well took her out tonight with a mate for a beer.
She’s going know where!

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 10:26:12 PM »

Well took her out tonight with a mate for a beer.
She’s going know where!

Right choice! Where in the country are you? There are many local pub meets and you are likely to meet like-minded people who will be more than happy to spend an hour or two peering at the details of your vehicle (and you get to do likewise  :cheers)

Alec

matada34

• Hub seal tester
  • .:
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 08:43:03 PM »

Alec,

Im in Staffordshire  :cheers

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2019, 11:30:18 PM »

Alec,

Not entirely sure which region that comes under, but the clickable map in this link:

http://www.series2club.co.uk/public_pages/areas.php

is a good start for finding out what is on in your area.

Alec

w3526602

• S2C Member
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 3779
  • .:
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 05:23:32 AM »

Hi,

I read, many yonks ago, that children must be given "seniority" over adults when allocating seats with belts.

That. might justify the ancient unwritten law, that Mum sits in the back, while Junior rides up front with Dad.

That was the case in my family, once I reached puberty moved into long trousers. Do kids still wear short trousers until they reach 14, like I did? I donned an old pair of jodpurs (sp?) one day, that were too big for me. Mum bought me my first long trousers that afternoon. Sorry, OT.

I was lucky. Dad gave me a couple of lessons in his 1935 Austin 10 (hmmm... Austin 10 brakes? Maybe not so lucky!) and bought me a 1936 OK Supreme 350cc motor bike. (J.A.P engine. Lethal) But with the Suez "do", and petrol rationing, provisional licence holders could drive unsupervised. An offer too good to refuse.  :RHD  When that concession ended, I just removed my L-plates and carried on. I had three lessons with BSM (to learn how to drive like a leaner) and passed my test a couple of weeks before my 18th birthday ... in Dad's Austin 10, which by that time had a bent back axle, and no back brakes ... but that's another story, involving "how to remove a brake drum without first removing the wheel". Ooops!

We attended the first and second Sabre Days at Droys Court, which involved "grass autotesting" Robin Rew let his 14 year old son enter .... driving his racing Scimitar GTE ... with instructions not to exceed a walking speed.  That was the day that Barbara did a four wheel slide round a bollard and gave her Sabre 6 some wellie .... howl of protest from the bloke who had been sitting on the next bollard, but was now taking it on his toes. Barbara, bless her, did not lift off.  :agh  "It was HIS problem!" she said afterwards.  Do not mess with my wife!  :cool

Grass Autotesting in a Series 2 ?????? Could be fun? Let Junior get it out of his system. Apparently, Banger Racing reduces car crime among young perps ... "You can only race if you've kept your nose clean!". I watched a film on TV, possibly called "Running Wild". Young "inmates" in Arizona are given an unbroken Mustang, and have to learn to ride it. That IS character building ... and reduces crime. There was a similarly targeted film called "Dune Riders". A "do-gooder" took half a dozen youngsters from London's East End, across the Sahara on Honda ATCs (trikes)

Returning to topic ... could anybody here find funding for something similar, but less ambitious, involving S2s?

"KUDOS CUTS CRIME" ( I said it first. Send "royalty" cheques too .....)

Does anybody know where I can get a copies of the above films?

genocache

• Grand master of the oils
  • .:
  • Something smart and clever here.
    • Genocache   my blog
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 05:58:01 AM »

Nothing to do with those films, but I taught my kids around ages 12 and 14 to drive in the wide open playa of the Black Rock Desert 60 x 20 miles of nothing to hit! Son learned in a 109 and daughter in a Ford Ranger both manual boxes. Son broke his first rear halfshaft learning...........

RobS

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6572
  • .:
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 09:48:45 AM »

Alec,

Stone I believe  ;) There is the Peak district and there was talk of a new region Stafford way but not sure if anything has moved on that yet. There are a few members in and around Stoke / Crewe / Biddulph so I supposed a meet could be worth while if a decent venue could be found.

I have a couple of Steam train venues near by to me, there's the Churnet Valley Railway and also Foxfield Railway which could be an interesting place to organise an event.

Rob.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 20 queries.