S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird new John Craddock P&P ripoff - the advice is to order one tyre at a time!  (Read 6783 times)

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers

I once sold a set of L200 rims to a buyer in Scotland - I bought them with nearly new 205R16 tyres fitted which I took off for my lad's SWB.

When I was getting quotes to send them, I found it was much cheaper to send two lots of 2 rims, rather than all in one package.

I can't remember now if it was a size issue or weight   ???
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

Bbrian66

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2984
  • .:

You've just solved the mystery of why Craddocks called to take another £15 from me to post a job lot of outriggers and rear cross-member.... They arrived in two separate packages - and on two separate days. Having made a second trip out to us in two days, the delivery man thinks the world's gone mad. He has a point.

rmgosling

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5787
  • .:

I believe ATS have stopped doing them. I bought 2 from them a little while back and was told that they were the last 2 the company had in stock in the country. 1 had to be shipped in from Ipswich, one from somewhere in Scotland.
Andrew

Nope I got 4 fitted about 2 months ago.  Had to buy 4 tubes as well as the olds ones were u/s.  They also fitted a tube and tyre to the spare (I supplied those) and it was about £415.

Cheers
1969 S11a SWB - The Sister
1982 S3 SWB West Kirby Fire Engine - Red

Simon K.

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 2721
  • .:

Nope I got 4 fitted about 2 months ago.  Had to buy 4 tubes as well as the olds ones were u/s.  They also fitted a tube and tyre to the spare (I supplied those) and it was about £415.

Cheers

It would be nice to know the age of your new tyres, whether they are the new stock, or stock from an older batch. Please could you have a look at the date codes whenever convenient.
Thanks
Simon.

Only asking because the last "newly supplied & fitted" G90's I saw were 4 years and 4 months old.

andrewR

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6506
  • .:

I've just sent Craddocks a bit of feedback (sensibly worded) by email. If I get a reply I'll post it.

On the "tyre changing" subject, I did take (very fast!) delivery of these fine-looking items yesterday from Mole Valley.

Andrew

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:

ATS in Bristol were very helpful getting my Avon rangemaster tyres, two were acquired from other branches in the country.
However the fitter did not know that you should fit collars over the valves where they pass through the wheel rim.
Result two flat tyres.
I ended up using Cabot Tyres in Totterdown. No problems.

Gordon

Umm I'm embarrassed not to know what collars are....and what T13 and T15 are.....would someone be able to explain?

Old Hywel

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6823
  • .:

TR 13 or TR 15 are alternative sizes of valve stem.
Land Rover rims use  the larger one - TR15, but a 13 is OK if used with a reducing collar.

MrTDiy

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 1991
  • .:

Ah! Got it, thank you very much

rmgosling

• S2C Member
  • Chassis welder
  • Member no : 5787
  • .:

It would be nice to know the age of your new tyres, whether they are the new stock, or stock from an older batch. Please could you have a look at the date codes whenever convenient.
Thanks
Simon.

Only asking because the last "newly supplied & fitted" G90's I saw were 4 years and 4 months old.

Checked the tyres and they are 02/18 and 04/18.

Cheers

So, ordered 4x new 7.5x16 Rangermaster tyres from John Craddock. Total price in excess of £400.
"Free delivery for orders over £50" is the policy on the website.
This morning, get a call from the chappie.
"Well, it's free delivery on the 1st package, but there'll be 4 packages as each tyre needs its own package, so only the 1st package will be free".
He says he's doing me a favour and I only need to pay an extra £15. Apparently a new website will tell you this soon? ...

So I point out that maybe I should have ordered each tyre on a separate internet order, as each order would have been £100+, and then I would have had 4 free packages. He agrees, and says I could cancel it and start again.
To be honest, I just wanted it done as I was busy at work, so I paid the extra £15, ~3 pints of beer depending on your pub, so I won't lose any sleep.

But, the advice seems to be, if ordering from Craddock, order each tyre separately! I suppose also only do orders of any large items in orders just over £50, because how would you know when you flow over from 1 box/package to 2 boxes/packages. It seems a crazy policy application!

I have a number of other things on my shopping list, but I'll be looking elsewhere!

Initial thoughts

They can usually be well beaten on price.

Do they have the tyres instock or are they redirecting them.

Need to be upfront on there delivery t and c as it will leave a bad taste and result in a forum discussion.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 20 queries.