S2C Forum Archives

Advanced search  

News:

Our new forum is open for business:-  New Forum
To use the new forum you will need to re-register.

Please don't post anything on this forum.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Mig welder  (Read 3339 times)

MikeT

• S2C Member
  • Grand master of the oils
  • Member no : 6272
  • .:
Mig welder
« on: December 10, 2020, 11:41:46 AM »

Looking to buy a MIG welder. Nothing special as it is not for professional use.
Something for a total novice. Happy to purchase new or secondhand.
But advice would be helpful.
Thanks

George P

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6803
  • .:
Re: Mig welder
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 11:48:56 AM »

Hi,

I bought this when I started my restoration, its been faultless so far.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

George

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:10:03 PM »

https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding-equipment/mig-welder/

Great support and good company to deal with.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 12:11:16 PM »

I haven't looked at any specific machines with this facility as I use TIG for this, but if you are going to have MIG but not TIG it is well worth considering a machine with a 'pull' spool in the gun, rather than just 'pushing' wire from the machine. This gives a much smoother feed as the liner gets a bit worn and it also makes it possible to weld aluminium. Thin aluminium is always more difficult to weld than steel so it isn't a good starting point - easiest to start by getting to grips with 3mm-6mm steel. However, once you have that working aluminium can be done, even down to LR panel thickness, using pure argon gas and a backing block to take the heat out. It is also much easier if you take parts off the vehicle so you can turn them around to make all welds downhand - with a backing block and downhand welding it is nearly impossible to burn big holes (someone will now prove me wrong...) You end up with more trimming off than you would with TIG so there is more work overall but it can give a perfectly satisfactory result - worth considering if you want the machine to be flexible.

The other option to consider, rather than MIG, would be a simple inverter type machine set up to switch torches between TIG for fine work and MMA (stick) for thicker section. It would cost you more in consumables for heavy section and it is slower across the mid-range thicknesses as it doesn't deposit as much metal. It would also give you two processes to learn rather than one. However, it would cover more bases overall once you got used to it and there is less to go wrong - it is generally the spool and feed which start causing problems on MIG machines, particularly the cheaper ones.

Alec

Edit: apologies if I have got the wrong end of the stick, but I have the impression from your door restoration thread that you have someone who you have been using for TIG welding previously. I am therefore presuming that you may not be overly familiar with using the various processes. If this is the case, it may be worth considering a short introductory course of evening classes (I know the colleges round here have got socially distanced courses back up and running). It would be an opportunity to try out techniques and equipment and see what you get on with; which features you like and which you never use. This could potentially leave you with a much better understanding of what you want out of a machine so you end up with something you get on with better.

Robin

• Master of the oils
  • Member no : 2811
  • .:
  • patNrob on old forum
    • Land Rover Classic Campers
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 12:26:41 PM »

As a further note to Alec's post, if you're keeping a MIG in an unheated garage or shed, it's worth pulling the spool off the machine each time you've finished with it and taking it inside.
Even though MIG wire is copper coated, it's a very thin coat and rusts very easily.
A bit of a pain to pull it through each time, but even slight rust will cause feed problems.

I have a PCT anti condensation element fixed to the base of my MIG, just under the spool, and keep it plugged in all the time.
Costs pennies to run and stops any chance of rust :)

I also love my new TIG, bought based on Alec's recommendation a few months ago - much nicer to feed filler rod in when needed rather than the point & shoot of MIG   :cheers

Robin.
LRCC: Land Rover Classic Campers - 1967 Carawagon, 200TDi, completed & in use - 1972 109"quot SW Carawagon, 2.5NA, completed & in use - 1958 Carawagon project. - 1971 Carawagon project. - ! - 1974 Dormobile project.

mrutty

• S2C Member
  • Hub seal tester
  • Member no : 6626
  • .:
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2020, 12:37:50 PM »

Also worth remembering that a flap disc and Hammerite makes you're welding 'improve'         Thats maybe just me.

agg221

• Swivel King
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »

Also worth remembering that a flap disc and Hammerite makes you're welding 'improve'         Thats maybe just me.

No, it's not just you... :cheers

Alec

Genem

• Lord of the Bearings
  • Member no : 4186
  • .:
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2020, 01:45:58 PM »

Flap disc ?  I'm thinking full-on Grinder to make my welding look anywhere near presentable

:shakeinghead :shakeinghead

I'm not totally daft, some bits are missing

Wittsend

• Administrator
  • Lord of the Bearings
  • .:
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2020, 01:59:09 PM »

Decent welders are not that expensive these days.

Gas supply is a consideration. How much welding do you envisage doing ???
You can buy small hobby bottles of Argon (CO2 - pub gas is/was popular but argon gives a better weld).
Or buy/rent a larger cylinder.

We have had previous posts on good gas supplies - a forum search is in order.

I bought my (SIP) welder through our local yellow pages. Virtually brand new - the chap was emigrating, at less than half price  :first

:mig :mig :mig
Who's a then ?

Formerlyjeremy

• Swivel King
  • .:
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2020, 02:12:34 PM »

autorover1

• S2C Member
  • Member of the socket set
  • Member no : 7157
  • .:
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 04:45:30 PM »

I didn't get on with MIG when I first had one, but booked in on  an evening  welding course at the Local Agricultural college and was well worth it .

whitehillbilly64

• S2C Member
  • Master of the oils
  • Member no : 6702
  • .:
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »

No matter how badly you weld, it wont be as bad as some of the factory welding.
I to am a 'Master Grinder'
I go one of these. Done all my chassis and bulkhead work.
https://www.totaltools.com.au/106751-cigweld-140a-inverter-welder-with-leadset-and-toolbox-w1008140?gclid=CjwKCAiAq8f-BRBtEiwAGr3DgcPUNXW98mfx06kHadXWbuPQsk_7y_CBl3hrr7rRIkd-nO5Vm7yA6xoCljYQAvD_BwE

whitehillbilly

Mowersman

• Gear shifter
  • .:
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2020, 08:51:58 PM »

A lot of it boils down to budget. You can weld a Land Rover with just about anything, but to do a nice job and to enjoy doing it, it requires either a lot of skill with poor machinery, or some nice kit. I had a blue Clarke 151EN for several years, it certainly wasn't a bad welder. But when I sold it and bought an Rtech MIG180, it was like night and day. I would recommend one to anyone, if it fits in their budget.
As for gasless, it has its place. IMO that place is not on a Land Rover! Again, you CAN do it, but do you really want to, no. Decent Argon/Co2 mix really isn't expensive these days and makes for a nicer job.
Andrew
FUD216C 1965 SWB running a 19J/200 TDI hybrid, on 100% WVO all year round.
NFO515 1961 109SW EX mil, rebuilt 2.25 petrol on LPG (26100012a)

Smokey 11a

• S2C Member
  • Gear shifter
  • Member no : 6784
  • .:
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2020, 11:39:51 PM »

I've seen your welding. Your getting a Grinder for Christmas.  :neener :neener

Univetsal

• Chassis welder
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 11:45:07 PM »

+1 for Rtech. Very good kit and after service, but as always, you get what you pay for.
+1 for mig wire kept indoors when not using it regular.
+1 for gas (not gasless)
Unless you're a born natural then you will prob need someone to teach/show you (who can weld properly!) after you have played a bit but before you give up :)
And anyhow, the grinder is your friend ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.